Failed today (298)

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
I failed today with a 437....after waiting for 45 mins to take my test (I didnt feel like rescheduling after getting prepped and going out of my way to get there).

That test was the most grueling I have ever taken...I feel like was rushed through the questions and to quickly find the answer. I have the second shot but I dont know how to study for this exam. I feel like I knew the material down pact but just the questions probably got me. Does anyone have any strategies? (I tried doing the read the question first then going back)

This wouldve gotten me the MCSE title too....sux

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Might want to check out the 299 material.

Spend some time trying to think "what does Microsoft want to sell me?"

You can knock off, what? 1-2 answers just by "that won't work". Then you have two answers that can work. Ask yourself what do they want to sell you? The answer is not going to be "Use Unix, use nt4. etc etc"

BEER
    -Daniel
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. With the 298 it helps to read the answers first, then work your way up in the scenario. Most of the information given is filler.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Update on this

I took the test again today using the Second Shot and failed AGAIN! I got a higher score (568/1000) but still failed! The graph showed I did well in all fields!! I dont know what else to do...
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass.
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. When I took it, I read each question individually and then looked at the case study for each one, answered it, and moved on. Several of the questions have where to look in the questions so that helps. Also, if you are continually doing bad in one or two area, you should make sure you understand the basic concepts. It's a little more difficult than the 294.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry you didn't pass.

You'll get it next time!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm very frustrated studying for this myself. Reading the book and watching the videos, this doesn't seem to challenging. I know all of this stuff, I've already learned it.

But if you set a practice question down in front of me, and I don't even know where to begin. Part of me is tempted to just schedule the test and see what is up. I'm pretty sure I'd fail, but it just really bothers me that I'm pouring over information that I already know.

I think I'm going to buy the transcenders soon and start using them to help target where I need to study as well as find out why I don't know to do when a question gets tossed in front of me.

Good luck to you with your studies.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You guys are making me nervousicon_cry.gif Good luck on your next attempticon_thumright.gif
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    sory about that mate hope you will pass on your second shot i will be taking 298 next week you made me freak out a bit but i hope i will nail it cant wait to get my MCSE.
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm just starting on 298 after failing 297 5 times. Dreading it. But people are saying it is easier than 297. Trouble is I find some of the material a bit dry in 298 compared to 297.

At the mo its a bit more relaxed as I work through the 298 cbt nuggets. Thing is i was really strong on the firewalls and remote access on 297 so i think i should be ok provided I can get my head around authentication and PKI.
    IT Desktop Support Technician
    Comptia Exams passed - A+
    Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
    Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
    Update #3: Taking this exam on May 7th!
    Good luck!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I found this exam to be one of the biggest pains in getting my MCSE. I did not care for the format or the scenarios - they give you a tremendous amount of material that usually is not used for the questions.

Having said this, I would highly recommend taking as many practice questions as possible. It just takes some practice to get down how to take a test with this format. I used the MS Press book and CD along with Transcender and had a pretty easy time passing (876).

Good luck.
    Well good news this time! Took the exam today and passed with an 833! I was shocked I even scored that high compared to the other scores I got. It was a lot easier reading the questions and getting the material I needed to answer the question after the last two attempts. I am so happy and now I am MCSE!!!! Thanks to everyone for the support and pick-me-ups. Good luck to everyone planning this one and dont give up after the first try!
    Congrats on passing, way to keep with it!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well done!! You deserved the MCSE moniker and double well done on sticking to the task.

So you grabbing a break or diving straight into another track?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Actually I was really thinking whether or not continuing 2003 picking up the Security specialization but since I am not really in that field currently I dont know (though I hope to one day). OR I could start off the 2008 track with taking the Vista and 7 exams (which I do support for everyday) I am gonna take this week off or two to think about it....opinions/advice would be nice
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you support 7 as part of your everyday duties, I'd say the 680 would be a good idea. In addition, it will be a nice change of pace for ya after all these 2003 exams. Beware, the 680 can be a furry little tiger that can be difficult to get past. Good luck with whatever you do next!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    The 299 material is very similar to the 298. It covers what it is, while the 298 goes into how to design it. I would go for it and then start on the Win7/ 2008 tracks.
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

Since I got some answers to this what study materials would I use, do I have to go all out for the 299 since I completed 298? Can I just use some CBT nuggets to freshen up or learn new materials thats on the 299 only? If I do need books which one would I use? (I think I only have MS Press Book and Sybex). Can I take 299 a couple weeks from now problem?

For the Win7 exam...what materials are best?
    Since the 298/299 are so similar, you should be able to brush up with the cbt. The MS
    press book for the 299 is very good and cheap on Amazon.
    download the exam objectives for the 299 to be safe. Those labs I sent you helped me a lot.
  • Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey RomBUS, what was the problem with the test? Was it unfamiliar format? Questions that weren't covered very well in study materials? Any topics or areas I should really hit hard? This is my next one. What got you through this time and didn't the first 2 tries?

Congrats.
  • geo455geo455 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got a 471. This is my first attempt at this test and I must say I don't have a clue as to how to take this test. I tried to follow the recommendations of most by reading the questions first. I just could not find the answers... Bad comprehension on my part I guess.... The technical stuff is not foreign to me I just could not concentrate. On the first case I had 6-7 minutes to read it and answer 5 questions....At that point I knew I failed...
    geo455 wrote: »
    Got a 471. This is my first attempt at this test and I must say I don't have a clue as to how to take this test. I tried to follow the recommendations of most by reading the questions first. I just could not find the answers... Bad comprehension on my part I guess.... The technical stuff is not foreign to me I just could not concentrate. On the first case I had 6-7 minutes to read it and answer 5 questions....At that point I knew I failed...

I wouldn't sit through the agony of this test again for $100. It's brutal. It sounds like your problem wasn't lack of knowledge, but lack of experience with the format. I know it's expensive, but I'd advise some practice test software. I used transcenders, and after rolling through a few of the case study's I wasn't so intimidated anymore.
    I'll bounce back. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it this time. This was the one time I deviated from my studying routine by not having the transcender and it didn't pay off. I guess I will farm out the $139 and get it. Almost an MCSE today....
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. the timed tests take some getting used to. It helps to read the answers first, then read the bottom 2 or 3 lines of the information given. You would then skim through the rest of the information. All the information for the answer is given, but being timed it adds some stress in finding it. I had 2 of them where there were a couple of seconds left.
    I'll bounce back. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it this time. This was the one time I deviated from my studying routine by not having the transcender and it didn't pay off. I guess I will farm out the $139 and get it. Almost an MCSE today....

I bought the 30 day online access. I knew I would have it done by the time that ran out.

I'm a pretty superstitious person, so when I was taking these I wouldn't let the time run out on me. Maybe they deduct a point or something for not finishing? Plus it makes me feel better knowing that I submitted on my terms.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I bought the 30 day online access. I knew I would have it done by the time that ran out.

I'm a pretty superstitious person, so when I was taking these I wouldn't let the time run out on me. Maybe they deduct a point or something for not finishing? Plus it makes me feel better knowing that I submitted on my terms.

So what do you think? Should I study for and take the 299 test even though I don't need it? And as for strategy should I be reading the questions first along with the answers as well? I've got the Msoft Press books for 298 and 299 I guess I will go back and review.
    So what do you think? Should I study for and take the 299 test even though I don't need it? And as for strategy should I be reading the questions first along with the answers as well? I've got the Msoft Press books for 298 and 299 I guess I will go back and review.

I have both books but never officially read the 298. I read the 299 cover to cover and reviewed some sections and then skimmed through a few parts in the 298. I also used the cbt nuggets for both exams and the transcenders for both exams.

I wouldn't say that you need the 299. In my mind I wanted to get the piece of paper since I was doing the study anyway. There are many different strategies and I used several on the test. Get some practice software and see which one works best for you.