MPLS syllabus

oxzganoxzgan Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys,

I have just started my CCIE theory preparation
The topic i have taken in my class is mpls , which is not included in my TCP/ip part1 and part 2 text books.
i am now following
mpls and vpn architecture by ivan pepelnjak and jim guichard
and
mpls and vpn architecture vol 2 by ivan pepelnjak and jim guichard

the books are very large ..should i spend more time on this topic or just basics ?
any Suggestions of books for MPLS study?

as per cisco the topics says
1 )mplement Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)
2 )Implement Layer 3 virtual private networks (VPNs) on provider edge (PE), provider (P), and customer edge (CE) routers
3)Implement virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) and Multi-VRF Customer Edge (VRF-Lite)

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    oxzgan wrote: »
    Hello Guys,

I have just started my CCIE theory preparation
    The topic i have taken in my class is mpls , which is not included in my TCP/ip part1 and part 2 text books.
    i am now following
    mpls and vpn architecture by ivan pepelnjak and jim guichard
    and
    mpls and vpn architecture vol 2 by ivan pepelnjak and jim guichard

the books are very large ..should i spend more time on this topic or just basics ?
    any Suggestions of books for MPLS study?

as per cisco the topics says
    1 )mplement Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)
    2 )Implement Layer 3 virtual private networks (VPNs) on provider edge (PE), provider (P), and customer edge (CE) routers
    3)Implement virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) and Multi-VRF Customer Edge (VRF-Lite)

The books are fine. Check out the MPLS configuration guide on Cisco.com. Odom's written book covers MPLS but not very well IMHO as the configuration work is minimalist to say the least. The best way to learn MPLS is to configure it.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    When I do the MPLS exam, I'm getting both the MPLS and VPN Architectures books, and also I'll be getting MPLS Fundamentals too. All of them come very highly recommended.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • oxzganoxzgan Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thnks dude ..the problem is the books above mentioned coveres lotr of topics..i need to to select the topics for CCIE , its a great task .it takes my time too ...takes time for other topics tooo
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    MPLS Fundamentals will probably be more than enough for the R&S. It might go above and beyond some of the topics, but its not a bad read regardless.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    MPLS Fundamentals will probably be more than enough for the R&S. It might go above and beyond some of the topics, but its not a bad read regardless.

+1

MPLS Fundamentals by Luc De Ghein, is one of the best MPLS books I´ve had the pleasure of reading....

Definitely add it to your list.....

The MPLS + VPN Arhchitecture books... are pretty good reads... but as the title suggests it is focused more towards what VPN architectures MPLS can provide for you...

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • oxzganoxzgan Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hello can you post the copy of this book
    MPLS Fundamentals by Luc De Ghein,
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    oxzgan wrote: »
    hello can you post the copy of this book
    MPLS Fundamentals by Luc De Ghein,

MPLS Fundamentals
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I've actually been reading the MPLS fundamental books, but I have 0 experience with ATM and am a bit lost on chapter 5. I mean it all kind of makes sense but I'm not sure what my retention is going to be on this particular chapter.

I'm hoping that if I can plow through and get some of it that in later chapters it will all just click.
    I've actually been reading the MPLS fundamental books, but I have 0 experience with ATM and am a bit lost on chapter 5. I mean it all kind of makes sense but I'm not sure what my retention is going to be on this particular chapter.

I'm hoping that if I can plow through and get some of it that in later chapters it will all just click.

I felt the same way. Honestly, I've probably forgot most of the ATM stuff as I've never used it in the real world.
    I felt the same way. Honestly, I've probably forgot most of the ATM stuff as I've never used it in the real world.

ATM is cool. Check out any reading material by Galina Puldush.

Dont beat your brains out. MPLS is complex and you learn it best by doing it. Some theory then labbing for the CCIE written and the lab exam. Some practice tests from Boson etc may help for CCIP.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Turgon wrote: »
    Dont beat your brains out. MPLS is complex and you learn it best by doing it. Some theory then labbing for the CCIE written and the lab exam. Some practice tests from Boson etc may help for CCIP.

Well the following is an example of a head scratcher for me:
    The label switch controller (LSC) is a piece of hardware designed to perform the control plane
    functions needed to make the ATM switch an ATM LSR. The Cisco BPX is an ATM switch that
    needs an LSC to become an ATM LSR. The LSC takes care of the control plane functions like the
    IGP, the routing table, and LDP. The PBX still performs the switching of the ATM cells in the data
    plane. In the case of the BPX, the LSC is a Cisco 7200 router. The LSC controls the BPX through
    an ATM interface over which the Virtual Switch Interface (VSI) protocol is running. VSI allows
    the router to control the ports, trunks, or virtual trunks on the BPX. The result is the same as if the
    LSC were internal to the ATM switch. When a PBX has an LSC attached to it, it becomes an ATM
    LSR for all intents and purposes. The LSC creates cross-connects in the switching fabric of the
    BPX for the LVCs. The interfaces are presented to Cisco IOS as XTagATM (extended label ATM)
    interfaces on the LSC.

I read it and it makes sense, but I've never used any of that stuff and they don't really describe what it is. When I see the acronym PBX I think public exchange.
    Well the following is an example of a head scratcher for me:

I read it and it makes sense, but I've never used any of that stuff and they don't really describe what it is. When I see the acronym PBX I think public exchange.

Whoever wrote that stuff needs to come up for air. Try some simple MPLS configurations and then supplement with some lighter reading.

Thats a typo. It should be BPX which is a Cisco ATM switch. Unfortunately we still have some hanging around but they aren't running MPLS.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I can honestly say the ATM section kicked my ass during MPLS studies. I learned it pretty well for the test...but havent used it since..so I would probably have to go back over it pretty thoroughly to even be able to converse on it now.