Options

Buying a new router

j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
Long time lurker, first time poster and I've learned a lot from everyone here. Thanks so much!

My question:

I'm building my lab for the CCNA.

Currently it consists of the following:

2 x 2610
1 2610xm
1 2620xm
2 x 2950
1 3550-EMI

The plan is installing my NM-8a/s in one 2610 for frame relay and possibly a NM-16a in the other 2610 to serve as a terminal server.

I will be buying another router so should I go with a 2651xm, 2621xm or something completely different? Is there a difference between the two?

Which would be better considering I'm looking to continue my cisco studies past the CCNA.

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    j-man wrote: »
    The plan is installing my NM-8a/s in one 2610 for frame relay and possibly a NM-16a in the other 2610 to serve as a terminal server.[/quoute]

Keep an eye on the NM-32's as well. When I was last looking, they were only like $30 more than the NM-16's. You might now think you need it, but you'd be surprised how labs start growing. :)
    I will be buying another router so should I go with a 2651xm, 2621xm or something completely different? Is there a difference between the two?

The 2651XM has a faster processor, but in a lab environment, that doesn't really matter much.
    Which would be better considering I'm looking to continue my cisco studies past the CCNA.

Which direction are you going after the CCNA? That might have an impact on what gear you would need.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check out getting a 3640 router. They are modular, can run the 12.4 IOS and can be setup to do alot of different setups. Check CL as I have seen them on there sometime fairly cheap.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    alan2308 wrote:
    Which direction are you going after the CCNA? That might have an impact on what gear you would need.

Right now the ultimate goal for this lab is the CCNP but I'm really liking CCNA:Voice at the moment so that might figure after CCNA.
    alan2308 wrote:
    Keep an eye on the NM-32's as well. When I was last looking, they were only like $30 more than the NM-16's. You might now think you need it, but you'd be surprised how labs start growing. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, labs grow like weeds don't they? icon_lol.gif Somehow that 2620XM and 3550 found their way into my rack rather quickly!
    Check out getting a 3640 router. They are modular, can run the 12.4 IOS and can be setup to do alot of different setups. Check CL as I have seen them on there sometime fairly cheap.

I'll have to watch for them. Thanks for the heads up!