Should I take it?

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I want to claw my way back up to desktop support from helpdesk and I plan on taking the MCITP exams listed in my sig. Would it be wise and/or useful for me to take the MCDST after I finish those? I've messed with XP out of boredom and as a normal end user since 2003 and supported it since 2008.

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    that's my hope... plus most people I talk to still use XP... The company that just hired me uses it, my last company uses it, the public school system my wife to be works for uses it, etc.... my college is the only place I come into contact that has updated to win 7... and even there they still have several machines on XP
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think MCDST is still worth taking since Windows XP is still in use by many companies today. I plan to pursue it once I finish my MCP (70-270) certification. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I just picked up some study material for MCDST earlier today. Crunch time.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you want to do it then get going. The exam retires June 30, 2011.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    If you want to do it then get going. The exam retires June 30, 2011.

That's like forever, man! Yeah crunch time at work and after work every single day for the next month or hopefully less.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And you're off!!!
    Good luck dude!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Sure feels like I'm studying for A+ again.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anonymouse wrote: »

Awesome!

That is exactly what it felt like. I tried and tried to stick it out, but I just couldn't do it man. It's like being married you have to pick your battles. This one just wasn't worth it to me.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□

100% true.
    im actually more afraid of 272, as its on outdated software(outlook and IE6). where you would have to know exactly how to configure and troubleshoot it click by click.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    100% true.
    im actually more afraid of 272, as its on outdated software(outlook and IE6). where you would have to know exactly how to configure and troubleshoot it click by click.

Don't forget outlook express :/
    Alright got this thing scheduled.

70-271 is on 4/22
    70-272 is on 4/29
    I'm still going back and forth on whether I'm gonna finish the MCDST. It depends on how much time I have left after I finish the MCSA track before I finish the last couple exams for MCSE.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    I'm still going back and forth on whether I'm gonna finish the MCDST. It depends on how much time I have left after I finish the MCSA track before I finish the last couple exams for MCSE.

Wouldn't that be like taking a step back?

I suppose it would be since I'm moving towards a Systems/Network Admin. or Engineer but I was considering it just to add to my resume. :)

I suppose it would be since I'm moving towards a Systems/Network Admin. or Engineer but I was considering it just to add to my resume. :)

Good point. Couldn't hurt.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□

Not that you need it Gamer, but the MCDST could count as an elective exam. You'd be able to count your Net+ as an elective though.

70-271 is on 4/22
    70-272 is on 4/29

Good luck!

70-271 is on 4/22
    70-272 is on 4/29

Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Not really. Most people would do MCDST before MCSA, but that doesn't mean it is taking a step back. It is a separate topic. Yes the MCSA is generally considered much harder, but that doesn't mean that one wouldn't want the knowledge obtained from the MCDST.

Learn what you need to to get the job. Sometimes you end up doing things out of order just based on how things fall.
    Decide what to be and go be it.