What is your Goal/Motivation?

try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
What is your Goal/Motivation? At what point would you be satisfied, and feel like your set?

I'm 22, so I have time on my side. Time that I don't want to let go to waste. I aspire to become a Network Engineer, a seasoned Cisco R&S Expert. I want to master them routing protocols, I want to be able to understand Network Infrastructure like a true Expert.

I don't want to rent anymore. I don't want to "pay other peoples mortgages". I want my own home for my family, with the mortgage paid off completely. My wife is going to school and should become a Sonographer in 2 years. So both of us having professional careers, are awesome achievements. Neither of our parents had the resources to recieve the education that we do today. I will work towards getting an MBA or MS in Network Engineering, or Information Security, or Telecommunications... I'll see...

My motivation is my wife, family, the sense of accomplishment in life, and the success that enables us to live more enriched happier lives. What yours?

I know, I have a couple of wants, but these are goals I'm aiming at. People like Steve Jobs at Apple, Larry Ellison at Oracle, Bill Gates at Microsoft, Mark Zuckerberg at Facebook, got where they are at because of ambitions. This requires some serious goal-setting and determination. TE folks like Turgon, networker050184, mikej412, erpadmin, millworx, Forsaken_GA, and others, are people who made a decision and got to where they're at with action. These people are inspiring! So get to where you want to be at and inspire.
--WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
==================
>> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
(I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)

Comments

• RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Getting a college degree, and decent certs along with it. I coasted (BS'ed) for 20+ years, and I was exactly your age then. I last worked as a computer operator in a contract role for HP from 01-07, and had to quit for family reasons.

I left on good terms, and still have some contacts within the company, so hopefully I can get back with them, or anywhere in a support role, starting out.

But, really, earning a degree is the most important thing for me at this stage in my life. Something I always felt I could accomplish, but was just too lazy and unfocused to do it.

It just blows me away that, because of the way WGU is structured, that within 1-2 years, I'll be in a position to apply for a Master's program, or even law school!
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Goal: To be good at what I do.

Motivation: Survival.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Goal: Working in a challenging networking environment

Motivation: The fact I don't work in one already.

Not a lot more to it, I want the challenge so that each day is interesting. Until then its what I aspire to.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I dont like to have any 10-20 year goals since the goal posts keep changing as life takes its course. Heck, even shorter term ones too. Till about 3 years ago, I wanted to go the Cisco way but found a job focussed on the Microsoft side of things, and it has been all MS since then.

My short term (5-7 year) goal is to attain MCM/MCA level knowledge on Exchange and AD. I'm driven by my desire to know as much as possible on these two topics.

My motivation is my desire to be an independent consultant, have no mortgage to pay, see my family live in comfort. Last and by no means the least, this website and the awesome and highly knowledgeable folks that make me visit here several times each day.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    ...have no mortgage to pay, see my family live in comfort. Last and by no means the least, this website and the awesome and highly knowledgeable folks that make me visit here several times each day.

+1.

Get out of the constant rain and into Australia, hook up with old friends, make loads of new friends in the hope of a better after work/life balance. Technically, to continue working as a consultant and to achieve VMware VCDX level in skills, ability and certification and keep learning in whatever floats my boat.

Motivation: To get out of the rain. To be able to fire up the BBQ with old and new friends (see above) with a beer. Or ten.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Goal: Do what I like.

Motivation: I like what I do.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

I would love to be able to do that too, but my better half has other ideas :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My goal is to move away from my current IT tech support role (PC Tech, help desk, desktop support) into a Systems/Network Admin. or Engineer and make a great salary with benefits to live comfortably and enjoy life being able to pay my bills, buy video games/anime/movies, vacations, etc. My motivation is my drive to succeed and my passion for IT to learn new technologies. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Long term, my goal is to eventually become an expert witness and work on the legal side of infosec (and in law in general). I plan to earn my JD after my BS.

Short term, my goal is to work as a network security analyst in a SOC. Possibly for a medium sized business.

My motivation is money and the sound of my creating writing teach in high school telling me I would amount to nothing.
  • mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Goal: To give my daughter everything I never had and the best life have to offer.
    Motivation: Me, my family and the family that came before me to set the stage to where I am now. As of February 25, 2011 I got a job as a IT Manager for a large company with 300,00sq and 500 employees.

This is what I do at my job:

IT Manager to plan, direct, manage and administer the activities for IT operations for 300,000sq feet building with 500 employees. Responsible for the entire information technology and telecommunications functions of the organization. Managing and overseeing IT processes including: system applications, training, systems maintenance and recovery, back-up, security, new system implementations and interfaces.

Responsible for providing a vision and developing and implementing a comprehensive technology strategy for the company in order to augment and maintain its competitive advantage. Manage the development of new applications required by the company’s business units. Oversee the company’s network infrastructure, provide security, regulatory compliance and provision for disaster recovery. Evaluate, select and implement new technology i.e. hardware, software, and services needed to support the business.

Well, this is how I got there at the age of 25 years old. I started out in IT in middle school. Someone, close family member taught me computer programming (BASIC, Fortrain and C). I coded my first web site in middle school.

In high school I intern for 3 years on the helpdesk team moving from Windows 2000 to 2003 servers and helping with the upgrade for windows 2000 pro to Windows xp pro.

On top of that I also helped design my high school web site and fixed maybe almost all the teachers computers. I knew from my middle schools years that IT was not a career but my life. In the 3 years I spent as an intern I learned how to map my career path to where I like to take it.

I am pretty good with Linux, IT Security, ITIL, Lean IT and making home visits to fix people computers.
    I taught the CompTIA A+ and Network+ course at a school a few years ago. I am a great teacher.

I helped over 53 people in my life time so far get IT jobs, from training the person to helping them with their resume and cover letter to listening to what they want out of life.

My greatest reward is teaching someone who never worked in IT and bring them from the botton to the top of where they like to be.

I circle my whole life around IT and I hope I could find other who enjoy this life long path like I do.

It simply makes me happy to fix a linux problem to an cisco router that can't ping the net to whatever.

Well that is part of it but I did IT everyday hour of the day and helped many PEOPLE in New York City get IT certifications by using my free time and money to train them. Some of the people I trained did not have money for an voucher but I did so I got it for them.

I was taught to help people when I was younger that did not have much and having to deal with so many people in my family having cancer and the likes made me think that like is not promise tomorrow so make the best of it.

I remember when my sister got cancer and she still manage to finish school with TWO B.A degree's and made the honor list as well.

After that year they remove the cancer but guess what it came back and guess what she manger to get her master degree with it as it is required to be a teacher in her field in New York City. Happy to say she is cancer free today but it made me think that I take life as it should be here everyday but I change my way of thinking and I now feel happy that GOD gave me a chance to life another day to take care of my daughter and see her grow.
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My goal is to be an IT Manager (hopefully in the next 2-3 years) motivation is family and like you said the sense that you have actually accomplished something in life.

Long term I have a lot of dreams ;)
  • mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    za3bour wrote: »
    My goal is to be an IT Manager (hopefully in the next 2-3 years) motivation is family and like you said the sense that you have actually accomplished something in life.

Long term I have a lot of dreams ;)

Hey buddy,

To let you know ITIL and Accounting helped me get there. I use to work for JPMorgan Chase and started out as a teller and than I quickly moved to Customer Service then to personal banker getting my life and health license.

I jumped into IT after that. I went that way as I wanted to know how to manage my money better and oh boy that helped me to never have a broke day again and keep money in my stocks, CD's and Roth IRA to keep growing.

Now I know you thinking well how does that help and or relate to IT. Well I think it does related as I had to learn how to manage our print vendor relationship and I believe that JPMorgan helped me gain a sense of how important building relationships is and also how to make sure you could get the best deal for your money without paying out your you know what.

All my jobs I held I networked with people and even helped them out with basic PC problems like my old manager Debra, her daughter was in college and got a virus on her laptop, I fixed her kid laptop and did not charge her on my lunch break and when back to the teller spot like nothing happen. I networked and gained a friend and also showed that person I could do more than one thing if I put my mind to it. She later recommended me to the IT department for JP Morgan where I did a little 3 month intern and wow I was happy to see the data center in One Chase Plaza which is in Wall street.

So try to fix people pc's and don't charge them a lot of money and I mean really only charge them enough to be happy because as time shows it is not how much you charge but how good the service is to determine if someone will come back again to use your service.

Also, try to find some CFO, CEO, COO in your area where you live and fix there computers and or laptops and kids machine. I mean I will do anything to let people know in NYC that I am that guy you should call for computer problems. When I worked for RHT (Robert Half Technology) and did a good job on a project they had for their client they called me back for more contract work. check my work out here: Lighting by Gregory | Designer Lighting and Home Dcor at Low Prices!

I used Miva Merchant and moved the company from MySQL to MS SQL.

Post IT help signs up in your City and let it be known you know your stuff with your certification listed and e-mail address.

Open up an LLC and don't let your job know and show up as a person who is all about business.

I am doing my B.S degree from WGU in basic IT but I am also going to Bronx Community College for my Accounting degree.

I know many people who told me not to do that because it is too much on you but guess what. F them as they don't live in my shoes and I am a person who like to keep going and going and going and on.

So these are some things you might what to do as I did to help you alone the way but believe me everyone have their own story to how they got to where they want to be and all you need to do is ask around.

Also, check out my meetup group on meetup.com. I have not been active with the group since I made it but I am about to change that in April and try to host meeting and such at my new job. http://www.meetup.com/IT-Security-Certification/members/

I am sure you will find your way and if you need more help PM and we could talk over the phone.

Also check out this book. It is really good to read for IT Managers or if you want to become one. http://www.amazon.com/Managers-Handbook-Second-Getting-your/dp/012370488X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298803057&sr=8-1

Here is my linkedin account: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/daniel-harrison/24/a49/38
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    +1.

Get out of the constant rain and into Australia

And you'll head into a constant heat wave. Unless you go to Melbourne. Then it'll be just like home.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Goal is to make enough money to support my family doing what I love.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    My goal is to have fun and make money.

There are plenty of other motivations and goals under that - ie, provide for my family, be respected among my peers, pass my knowledge on to less-experienced co-workers, etc.

But it all leads back to have some fun, and make some money.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Goal: To work one day at the Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA as a Blue carded employee.

Inspiration: I have a neurosis where once I attempt something, I don't stop until I am a wizard. :D
    :twisted:
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    My goal is to have fun and make money.

There are plenty of other motivations and goals under that - ie, provide for my family, be respected among my peers, pass my knowledge on to less-experienced co-workers, etc.

But it all leads back to have some fun, and make some money.

Yep, totally agree!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Goal: To one day work for myself and no one else.

Motivation: I don't like working for the man, I have a problem with authority ;)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just want a happy and healthy family first and foremost, while meeting all of our financial needs comfortably, and do so while I'm enjoying the career that gets us there. Everything else is gravy.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm graduating with an A.S. in May. I want to be as beneficial to whoever hires me as I can in an I.T. role. Any opportunity I've ever had to do work in I.T. has not really been work at all.

tl;dr The goal is the motivation. The motivation is the goal.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My motivation is getting a better paying job from the degree at WGU and hopefully entering into a Network/Systems Admin/Engineer position that will provide a great life for my family.

I think my biggest motivator is my new son. I want him to grow up to tell his friends what his daddy does and be proud of what I do. I want to provide him with the life I never had and then some. I've never been to Disneyland, but by god, I'm gonna take him.

Also, on a side dream, I want to be able to buy me a new Corvette ZR1. Everyone's gotta be a little selfish once in a while, he he :)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Goal's change as you get older. I use to want to be just sustainable. Now I want to make sure my parents can retire happily, save up enough money so my gf of 3 years who will probably be my wife, can get a nice place to live and take care of her parents too. She wants to be in education and wants to major in music. I mean, lets keep it real, she probably won't be making a lot of money.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Goal: To one day work for myself and no one else.

Motivation: I don't like working for the man, I have a problem with authority ;)

I'm on the same page, I already started my plans on having my own business, it gets tough working for the man and sometimes telling that 1 + 1 = 3, this gets tough :P

My goal is to raise my kids doing what I love to do best, I am also looking at a MBA program to hopefuly become a manager one of this days, if I still have to work for the man...
  • nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    I just want to know _everything_ about computers and technology. Luckily for me, there's no actual end to that quest. (Oh yeah. And if someone wouldn't mind paying me to do that all day, that would be nice, too.)
  • getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My short term goals are as follows:
    Become a CCNA and move into a Network Engineer with the company that I currently work for. Make enough money so that I can support my family while my wife works on her medical degree. Complete my bachelors from my school of choice and attain more specialized certfications and experiences in the process.

My motivation is my family. I want my kids to have the best opportunities possible while at the same time helping them to take full advantage of those opportunities.
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GOAL: Retire from Corporate America by the age of 28....I'm 24 right now for those of you who don't know...Philantropic Ventures, Traveling

MOTIVATION: Family and to have POM....Peace of Mind icon_wink.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GOAL: Eventually become an IT Consultant (Security or Networking)

MOTIVATION: Two reasons (1) I want to provide for my family. (2) I'm sick of Desktop Support.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll keep mine simple.

Goal: To take care of my family and myself by making lots of money doing something I love.

Motivation: Family
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • falcon101falcon101 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

Motivation: I like what I do.

I am going to steal this ;) Love it!