Options

remote connection to phone.

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I was playing around the other day with my phone (nokia n900), and now have got a web server running on it serving out a basic page.

when at home on wi fi, it works fine, I can even forward a port in the firewall so external people can access it.

switch.devilwah.com (only works when phone at home so 7pm to 7am UK time, this is also the scripts in action I was asing about a while ago)

However when moving around my phone pick up the mobila phone operator network (vodaphone.) Unfortunaly this only give me a prvt IP address and public address on vodaphone are in the £1000's. So no direct access.

On sugestion I have heard is to set up a vpn on the phone to an device that does have a public facing IP, and then forwarding requests from this on to the phone.

Any one else have an idea how I can do this? I dearly I want to be able to access the webpage when ever the phone has a signal. I am thinking of adding a phone stats/location and control page. But this is not much use if the only time i can use it is when my phone is at home?

I am really starting to like the N900 now, want to get on to a few projects to see what else I can do with it :).

DevilWAH
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe something like DDNS on the phone if it supports it.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    but that dosen't help with the pvt ip issued from Vodafone.

dynamic IP's I can deal with, but the issues is you can connect directly to the IP from the internet. (its a 10.x.x.x adddress)

so i need a way to relay requests to the device via a third party device.

I was thinking setting up the phone to keep a VPN connection alive to a always on device. as soon as it gets a signal it connects.

Then on the always on device, set up a http forwarding proxy, so users hit the this and get relayed to phone. Only issues is that then I need an always on device that I can VPN to from anywhere on the net?

Any one know any hosting solutions that offer both VPN and http proxy services?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.