Windows Encryption problem

Pierre MikhailPierre Mikhail Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I have Encrypted a file on an external HDD from my personal laptop. Whilst away, My laptop was wiped and Windows 7 was installed..

I now cannot access a Word document that I have on this external HDD and I need to be able to open the file and get some information out. I have looked and looked to find a program that might be able to open it but failed soo many times I lost count. The HDD is a 120GB, NTFS drive and the file is located 4 levels down from the root.

I am at loss and I have no idea what to do from here.. ANY and ALL idea's would be awesome, and when I can access the file using someones method I will post the persons name.

Thank you for all your help and hope to hear losts of idea's soon.

Regards,
Pierre Mikhail
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny to
(='.'=) your signature to help him gain world
(")_(") domination.

Comments

• hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_sad.gifIf your account and certificate data was not backed up proir to wiping, if the file was encrypted you may be out of luck due to the following:

1) Certificate (if used) was wiped
    2) Windows account SID was wiped (recreating account creates different SID)

icon_confused.gif:Questions:
    Was the system state of the laptop backed up prior to the wipe?
    Was the certificate (if used) stored in a central repository, from which it can be restored?
    Was the user account data used for the laptop Local? or was it Network based (on server)?
    I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    If it's a corporate laptop they might have key archiving and could provide it.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    If it's a corporate laptop they might have key archiving and could provide it.

This is your only hope here. If this is your corporate laptop and they either have a data recovery agent or a key recovery agent.
    Decide what to be and go be it.