Options

Suggestions For a good job

MaSterOfGRapesMaSterOfGRapes Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well guys after completing my CCNA , what kinda job should i be dreaming of getting instead of applying for everything on the market icon_lol.gif . Well i would like to say that i'm still with no experience * FResher basically icon_sad.gif * Are my good chances of getting a job is only in help desk/ technical support or can i get into those Network engineer job directly icon_exclaim.gif

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    apply for everything. take the best of what comes back. getting your foot in is usually the hard part. Try to get a job that can build off the ccna, but take what you can get at least to develop a solid work history. That way, when you dont get your dream job right off the bat...you'll have a better looking resume with gainful employment and experience to let other employers know that you're employable and not a flake.

It sounds like you dont have any work history, so you'll have to take what you can get more than likely.
  • Options
    No actually the thing is being a fresher i'm NOT atall looking for a good salary *to be frank i don even mind working free for intial period * . i just want some good pratical experience of wat i have learnt so far , or else it makes no sense in doing that job . so the thing s by doing tach supp / help desk i don't think we get any practical exp , ain't i right ? so which is the best job to get intial practical experience in the field .
    Regards
    -Sid
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're lucky you can get a NOC job doing the grunt work. Do a good job there and let them know that you want to advance and it may help. Otherwise, take a helpdesk position and keep looking. If nothing else network with recruiters who deal with projects and get some experience that way. I've done several projects that way and gained some valuable experience.
    What do you mean by being a fresher exactly?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Fresher in a sense that i have nil experience till now .Just taking my baby steps into the vast networking field :) . Right now Studying For ccna , which i'm gonna give in march and pursue my ccnp while working * That's the plan to be frank * Well it have no idea About noc , does it give practical experience for understanding the whole scenario . And i guess help desk is out of my list , how abt tech support - i think it's gonna improve my trouble shooting skills to a good level but at the expense of pratical exp !
  • Options
    Hey guys can some1 reply ?! i'm confused abt what to look forward in future while searching for a job icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you don't mind working for free then an internship or work-study program could definitely help get your foot in the door. Not a lot of people have this option available to them, but if you can I say do it. Good time to build experience, get a first hand view of what kind of work you'd be doing, as well as good ol' fashioned social networking. I would avoid help desk if you can, nobody ever seems to like working help desk but it is often a necessary step on the IT ladder, (though not always).

I would also suggest you do a bit more research and try to find a job that sounds like something you would enjoy. A good resource I highly recommend to search for specific jobs is The Bureau of Labor Statistics. Not only does it provide good descriptions of the actually type of work, it provides job outlook data. This is highly important because you don't want to start a career in a field that is currently being outsourced!

After you get a relative idea of what to aim for look for companies hiring and apply but tell them you are interested in an unpaid internship to gain experience, (or shoot for a paid job if you have the confidence). The nice thing about an internship is if you decide you don't like the type of work it wouldn't be a big deal to quit, but optimally it would be best to intern at a job you intend to stay with and eventually get hired from. Local colleges also usually can help you find internships if you can't find any on your own.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    See if you can get a job working for an ISP call center, or pulling cable, or installing internet service... something like that instead of just standard corporate helpdesk stuff.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...