Sirsamon's CCIE, Like the Doctor says It's Bigger on the Inside

SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
Well i thought might start the blog of, i have been hovering around for a while.

The approach i am taking is a long one.
I bought every book i could on the Cisco recommenced reading list and then some adding whenever i see anything i think will benefit or i like. ;)

So the plan,
Books, i wanted to start from the beginning and work forward. oldest to newest reading labbing where possible through every book.
January 2011 The CCIE Journey
From there i hope to have more of an understanding of what books to hold the best value for the second round of reading.

Next i will be moving onto third party training packages.
there a few out there and work is quite happy to pay, i will have them all ;) at least three.

I am in no rush to get through this, i started almost 4 years ago on CCNA, then i thought lets look at CCNP one exam at a time, now its been a year into CCIE study.
I have a reasonable lab at home, my kids all up the youngest being almost 18. My deal with myself when it comes to study especially for CCIE.
I will not move on from one topic to another if i don't understand it, i don't need to remember it first time round, but comprehension is a must for the second round where all the fine detail is required.

I average around 40 to 60 hours study after work, been doing it for the last ten years, (think i am an addict to study ;)

I will try to update this as i go, but i do get lost in the network world at times, don't think i have dropped off i am always at it.

A few mentions,

mikej412 love your attitude always there offering help and advice.

Turgon i find you an inspiration, always motivating and pushing people on.

P.s

I read in another post, that other person said don't let them pass before you or its a kick in the ass, i tend to agree don't forget about yourself. (GET A MOVE ON)

Anyways blurb is over looking forward to joining everyone on the forum, to many to mention.

icon_study.gif

Comments

• gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Hehe nice post :)
    Best of luck for your journey!
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome aboard. I have recently rejoined the wagon :)
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Welcome fellow Aussie.... working on my R&S part-time now... as recently moved jobs to a Juniper focused environment....

So it really is whether I'm ready for CCIE or JNCIP\IE first... :)

Bring it on!

Good luck with your studies.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hehehe...too many baby duties indoors for labs right now. Goodluck!
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck buddy! I have seen you floating around. Will be watching!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Good luck! Seems you really enjoy studying, that will get you far. If you need feedback on written give me a shout.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Thanks for the welcome everyone :)
    Thought i would lay out were i have got so far with reading/labing.

1) Cisco Press Frame Relay Solutions Guide
    2) Cisco Press BCMSN
    3) Cisco Press Lan Switching
    4) Cisco.Press.LAN.Switching.Configuration.Handbook.2nd.Edition
    5) Cisco Press Routing TCP/IP Volume I 2nd Edition
    6) Cisco Press Routing TCP/IP Volume II
    7) Cisco Press Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols
    icon_cool.gifCisco Press Field Manual: Router Configuration
    9) Cisco Press Router Configuration Handbook 2nd Edition
    10) Cisco OSPF Command and Configuration Handbook
    11) Cisco Press Internet Routing Architectures 2nd Edition
    12) Cisco Press BGP Design and Implementation
    13) Cisco Press BGP 4 Command and Configuration Handbook
    14) Cisco Press End to End QOS Network Design
    15) Cisco Press Developing IP Multicast Networks Volume 1
    16) Cisco Press Network Security Technologies and Solutions
    17) Cisco Press MPLS and VPN Architectures
    1icon_cool.gifCisco Press MPLS and VPN Architectures Volume II
    19) Cisco Press MPLS Fundamentals
    20) Cisco Press MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software (Half way)

Apart from reading frame relay book first, the method for reading is using the CCIE v3 book. Each chapter leads me to the other books.
    currently i have one chapter left in the V3 book, IPv6.
    for that reading i have,
    1) Cisco Press Deploying IPv6 Networks
    2) Cisco Press IPv6 Security
    3) Cisco Press IPv6 for Enterprise Networks (pre ordered end of Feb)

When i have finished i will use the CCIE v4 to set the reading patterns for the second round.

WOW, just realized i am doing CCIE using,

The Lord of the Rings method -- one book to rule them all ;)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wish you the best for your trek! Good to see an Aussie go for the BIG prize...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Good luck Sir, enjoy the ride, and thanks for sharing your journey here at TE. :D
    OK, My first update to study.

I finished the last chapter in the CCIE v3 Book tonight.
    It was a bit of a mile stone, the last chapter covered IPv6.
    I have three books to read covering IPv6, the first i will be starting tomorrow will be Cisco Press Developing IPv6 Network.

Its strange its one of the topics i have been waiting to get in to but in yeah/panicking sort of way ;)

Anyways after the three books are cleared with labbing it should be all good
    (I Hope)
    Sirsamon wrote: »
    OK, My first update to study.

I finished the last chapter in the CCIE v3 Book tonight.
    It was a bit of a mile stone, the last chapter covered IPv6.
    I have three books to read covering IPv6, the first i will be starting tomorrow will be Cisco Press Developing IPv6 Network.

Its strange its one of the topics i have been waiting to get in to but in yeah/panicking sort of way ;)

Anyways after the three books are cleared with labbing it should be all good
    (I Hope)

Three books on Ipv6 is over egging it in my opinion, it's not a deal breaker in the lab and you will find the lab practice books cover the topic well enough once you get to that point. It's good that you are serious about the reading list, just be sure to get around the different topics fairly regularly or you will get stuck on a single topic for too long a period. A couple of days studying a single topic would be good, then move along. Law of diminishing returns. When are you planning on doing the written? Odom is fine for that with some ancillary topic reading and Odom + Boson practices exams. Just take one Odom chapter/topic on a day followed by the chapter questions.
    Thanks, Turgon.

I have my own way to study ;) i always like to get as much information as i can.
    If i need to study to say level 5 i will always do level 10 or whatever the there is.
    This means when i go to level 5 its not hard, as i am already used to level 10
    that's for comprehension.

For memory, i don't have any problems. i create my own notes along with labbing. But normally i don't use them, i visualize everything, even the command line :)

(Side note)
    I don't know if you are familiar with the knowledge test for taxi drivers in the UK, I passed that test, now that took a lot of memory work ;)
    Thanks, Turgon.

I have my own way to study ;) i always like to get as much information as i can.
    If i need to study to say level 5 i will always do level 10 or whatever the there is.
    This means when i go to level 5 its not hard, as i am already used to level 10
    that's for comprehension.

For memory, i don't have any problems. i create my own notes along with labbing. But normally i don't use them, i visualize everything, even the command line :)

(Side note)
    I don't know if you are familiar with the knowledge test for taxi drivers in the UK, I passed that test, now that took a lot of memory work ;)

That's fine. Unfortunately you are not studying the London A-Z and static maps. The CCIE is not a memory test. You need to understand protocol mechanics and syntax. Like I said it's good you are serious about the reading but if you read too many books one topic at a time there is a risk you will encounter tail drop as the months elapse from when you ceased learning a topic and then return to it again. Everyone's milage varies on this, it's just something to be mindful of with the CCIE, which could fry your brains.
    Finished Cisco Press Deploying IPv6 Networks 4/10.
    Hated it not a good read or for labbing.Still i made my own labs just to make sure i understood it.

Started Cisco Press Cisco Self-Study Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks,
    this seems a bit more of an enjoyable read, looking forward to some labbing.
    Today i started on a book i had on the side as my other book on IPv6 will not ship until April.

Cisco Press Inside Cisco IOS Architecture.
    I have to say its a good read so far. Puts a lot of bits and pieces i had not really thought of into the picture.
    After this book i either go onto some more extra curricular books i have or move right into third party training materials. icon_study.gif
    Today i started on a book i had on the side as my other book on IPv6 will not ship until April.

Cisco Press Inside Cisco IOS Architecture.
    I have to say its a good read so far. Puts a lot of bits and pieces i had not really thought of into the picture.
    After this book i either go onto some more extra curricular books i have or move right into third party training materials. icon_study.gif

I would go straight into the Odom book if I was your. Read one chapter a day and attempt the end of chapter questions. You can dip into your other books when you need supplementary reading. Odom will give you the framework you need and regularity across the topics so you dont get hung up on one at the expense of recall on all the others. I wouldn't use any 3rd party training products for the written other than the Boson test prep which is useful once you have about 100 reading hours in. There is a 3rd party written guide available from a vendor but avoid as a good number of the subject question were either from a **** or straight from the exam. I know because I bought the thing a few years ago and about 18 of my actual test questions were in it.
    Hi Turgon,

I hear people say the Odom book,(i feel silly here) what book ? :)icon_study.gif

Thanks
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hear people say the Odom book,(i feel silly here) what book ?
    With Odom It depends on the context, so if this is the CCIE forum the Odom Book must be the CCIE R&S Certification Guide. icon_lol.gif

CCIE - CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide, 4th Edition
    CCNP - CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide
    CCNA - CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition
    QoS - Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide (IP Telephony Self-Study), 2nd Edition
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Hi Turgon,

I hear people say the Odom book,(i feel silly here) what book ? :)icon_study.gif

Thanks

R&S certification guide.
  • ChipschChipsch Member Posts: 114
    Odom's R&S certification guide is wonderful imo. I read through it half way before having to halt my studies and am starting over now. Covers pretty much everything on the blueprint as far as I can tell. For more in depth he puts some really good references to the topics covered in the Foundation Summary sections.

Personally I am supplementing the cert guide on a case by case basis with the tcp/ip volume 1 and 2 books, halabi's book, and mpls fundamentals. I have to agree also with others that to many can be to much. Get a solid understand of the different technologies (which Odom's book for the written will take care of most of that), dig deeper as needed.
    Today i started the Odom book.

Chapter 1, just took it nice and easy for the day.
    labbed out what i could took notes, just finished entering them into Mnemosyne.
    Ran the Boson CD on Ethernet chapter, it had a few questions that belonged in other chapters, no biggie.
    Tomorrow at work going to print out the errata and testing forms from the CD.

time for bed while listening to Scott Morris audio.

icon_study.gif
    Today i started the Odom book.

Chapter 1, just took it nice and easy for the day.
    labbed out what i could took notes, just finished entering them into Mnemosyne.
    Ran the Boson CD on Ethernet chapter, it had a few questions that belonged in other chapters, no biggie.
    Tomorrow at work going to print out the errata and testing forms from the CD.

time for bed while listening to Scott Morris audio.

icon_study.gif

I like mnemosyne myself. Keep at it! If you are still slogging away in 12 months time you have a shot. Sooner if work is slack.
    Not had much study this week or weekend, been creating my resume not had to do that in over 11 years.
    Anyways back on track tomorrow, bed time for me.
    OK for this first time a years i was off the books for a week. Resume update time, last time was 11 years ago.

Anyways, glad to be back at it, 9:30am started chapter 2
    Labbed all day, took notes, updated mnemosyne with notes. Sta end of chatter questions. Great being back at switching, and that there wasn't a subject i didn't remember so far, STP tomorrow. Great memory workout :)

During sleep i always have the audio books running. this week its Layer 1,2

Chapter 3 STP tomorrow.

cya :)
    OK,

Today was a public holiday and great timing it was, chapter 3 all things spanning tree.
    It’s easy to forget the different variants of SPT but going through it from 9:30am until 10:30pm, then notes all typed up, key tables done. It’s all good and ready for bed.
    Next chapter is IP.

cya all :)
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    from 9:30am until 10:30pm,

Fair play man, that's a long session.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
    Chapter 5 down,

It was a huge week at work, and this week i have to fly interstate.
    Chapter 5 all IP. I had a good time just practicing speed, it's something that is an ongoing part of the cycle along with NAT. When you look at both these topics it would be very easy to overlook them by many as it is in every day work, but it normally only ever get setup from scratch in the start then forgotten.

:)
    Chapter 5 down,

It was a huge week at work, and this week i have to fly interstate.
    Chapter 5 all IP. I had a good time just practicing speed, it's something that is an ongoing part of the cycle along with NAT. When you look at both these topics it would be very easy to overlook them by many as it is in every day work, but it normally only ever get setup from scratch in the start then forgotten.

:)

NAT is often overlooked by lab candidates and a key topic. You need to be strong on all configurations of NAT. It is highly likely it will be tested and is a lab attempt destroyer if you are not equipped.

Keep the reading up, 100 hours should knock out the written.
    Good morning all,

Thought i would update my log or lack of.

I have just changed new job role in the same company and a few other family issues.
    Anyways i was still managing to do a bit of study every now and then. (not enough)

I have been back at study full time again for the last 3 weeks, just finishing of layer 2, maybe a week to go.

cya all later.

icon_study.gif