request: DTP types in hex

katachikatachi Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
Could I ask for some kind soul to volunteer to do a packet capture and tell me the DTP type hex value of Dynamic Trunking Protocol datagrams between two switches using the following trunk encapsulation types:
  1. ISL/ISL
  2. ISL/Negotiated
  3. Negotiated/Negotiated
This would be a HUGE help! I only have one ISL-compatible switch in my lab, so I can't test this myself icon_sad.gif

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This might not be exactly what you asked for, but it might get you in the ballpark. If I recall, these hex values might differ depending on the combination of dynamic auto / desireable / nonegotiate.

http://www.kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/packet_analysis_dtp/
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191

Is this stuff on the CCNA?

• yapchinhoong2010yapchinhoong2010 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hope this helps too. :)

TOS - Trunk Operational Status
    TAS - Trunk Administrative Status
    TNS - Trunk Negotiated Status
    TOT - Trunk Operational Trunking Encapsulation
    TAT - Trunk Administrative Trunking Encapsulation
    TNT - Trunk Negotiated Trunking Encapsulation

================================================================================
    C3560 dynamic auto <> C3560 dynamic auto
    C3560#sh int fa0/1 switchport | in Administrative Mode|Administrative Trunking|Negotiation
    Administrative Mode: dynamic auto
    Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: negotiate
    Negotiation of Trunking: On
    C3560#
    C3560#sh dtp int fa0/1 | in TOS|TOT
    TOS/TAS/TNS: ACCESS/AUTO/ACCESS
    TOT/TAT/TNT: NATIVE/NEGOTIATE/NATIVE
    0 bad TLVs, 0 bad TAS, 0 bad TAT, 0 bad TOT, 0 other
    C3560#
    ================================================================================
    C3560 dynamic auto <> C2950 dynamic desirable
    C3560#sh int fa0/1 switchport | in Administrative Mode|Administrative Trunking|Negotiation
    C3560#
    TOS/TAS/TNS: TRUNK/AUTO/TRUNK
    TOT/TAT/TNT: 802.1Q/NEGOTIATE/802.1Q
    C3560#
    C3560 dynamic auto <> Cisco 2600
    C3560#
    TOS/TAS/TNS: ACCESS/AUTO/ACCESS
    TOT/TAT/TNT: NATIVE/NEGOTIATE/NATIVE
    C3560#
    C3560 dynamic desirable <> C3560 dynamic auto
    Administrative Mode: dynamic desirable
    C3560#
    TOS/TAS/TNS: TRUNK/DESIRABLE/TRUNK
    TOT/TAT/TNT: ISL/NEGOTIATE/ISL
    C3560#
    C3560 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q, switchport mode trunk <> C3560 dynamic auto
    Administrative Mode: trunk
    Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
    C3560#
    TOS/TAS/TNS: TRUNK/ON/TRUNK
    TOT/TAT/TNT: 802.1Q/802.1Q/802.1Q
    C3560#
    C3560 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q, switchport mode trunk, switchport nonegotiate <> C3560 dynamic auto
    Administrative Mode: trunk
    Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
    Negotiation of Trunking: Off
    C3560#
    TOS/TAS/TNS: TRUNK/NONEGOTIATE/TRUNK
    TOT/TAT/TNT: 802.1Q/802.1Q/802.1Q
    C3560#
    C3560 switchport mode access <> C3560 switchport mode access
    Administrative Mode: static access
    Negotiation of Trunking: Off
    C3560#
    TOS/TAS/TNS: ACCESS/OFF/ACCESS
    TOT/TAT/TNT: UNKNOWN/NEGOTIATE/UNKNOWN
    C3560#
  • yapchinhoong2010yapchinhoong2010 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Futura wrote: »

Is this stuff on the CCNA?

nope, DTP is covered on CCNP SWITCH. For CCNA, just need to know about the switchport trunk encapsulation, switchport trunk dynamic desirable, switchport trunk dynamic auto, and switchport mode trunk commands.:)
  • katachikatachi Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for all of your responses. But what I'm looking for is the hex value of the trunk encapsulation type (not the trunking status) as it is found in the datagram itself. For this, a packet capture (on a SPAN port, for example) is necessary.

I've got one switch that only does 802.1Q, and another switch that can do both 802.1Q and ISL, so I already know that a hex value within the type field of the datagram is:

0xa0 = a TOT/TAT of 802.1Q/Negotiate
    0xa2 = a TOT/TAT of 802.1Q/ISL
    0xa5 = a TOT/TAT of 802.1Q/802.1Q

Unfortunately, I don't have another ISL-capable switch, so I can't find the hex values of other combinations. They can be found by setting SWITCH1 to use ISL (for example), then set SWITCH2 to use ISL as well, and then look at the DTP datagrams in a packet capture to read the hex value of the type field. Depending on how each switch is configured, the DTP datagram it sends will have a different hex value in the type field. These are what I'm curious about.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't you get an old version of Packet Tracer and check the value in simulation mode? In the current version, switches only support IEEE 802.1q. No ISL.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    The oldest version of Packet Tracer I could find was 3.2 (circa 2005?), but it does not seem to support ISL, either.

Also, interestingly, I also tried version 5.1. While you can look at the DTP datagram itself, Cisco inconveniently assumes that you don't want/understand hex values and automatically replaces the actual field hex value with the name of whatever DTP status or type is being sent. Frustrating...
    Got it.

0x42 = a TOT/TAT of ISL/ISL
    0x40 = a TOT/TAT of ISL/NEGOTIATE and a TOT/TAT of NEGOTIATE/NEGOTIATE (makes sense, since Cisco documentation says that two switches will default to an ISL trunk encapsulation when both switches support it)