Any word on CentOS 6?

jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I understand that CentOS is the best way to go for Redhat certification training (mostly because its FOSS). I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of a CentOS 6 release date? I want to get a lab set up but sort of want to wait for 6 to come out first before I take the plunge.

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They had made the announcement that it was coming out on Christmas day and that never happened. I think that they ran into some packaging trouble...
  • jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also read somewhere that there will be no way to upgrade from either 5.5 or 5.6 to the final release of 6? Is this true too?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jmreicha wrote: »
    I also read somewhere that there will be no way to upgrade from either 5.5 or 5.6 to the final release of 6? Is this true too?

I don't know offically, but I would say that it is true. There is too much that has changed between the releases. The firewall rules, SELinux, and the concept of sandboxing are some things you wouldn't be able to migrate so a clean install would be required.

Also according to the Centos forums they are about 2 months behind...so Feb seemed like a good estimate.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I don't know offically, but I would say that it is true. There is too much that has changed between the releases. The firewall rules, SELinux, and the concept of sandboxing are some things you wouldn't be able to migrate so a clean install would be required.

That is quite annoying, if true. I do NOT want to redo my ldap server.
    Apparently they're going to push 5.6 this week, so I'd not expect to see 6 this month as well. Have to remember there will be a 6beta push before an actual real push, so I'm guessing centos is going to be behind rhel for a little bit longer
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Apparently this is going to be rather late. They are already 4 months behind, the longest delay ever. I hope this will not repeat.
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm disappointed 5.6 isn't out yet, since they said a few weeks ago they were going to start seeding to the mirrors.
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do not despair :D.
    Scientific Linux 6 is officially out next week. (I guess CentOS will be losing a lot of it's base).
  • jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    AceRimmer wrote: »
    Do not despair :D.
    Scientific Linux 6 is officially out next week. (I guess CentOS will be losing a lot of it's base).

Wow, I had no idea that this even exited. I am definitely going to check this out, thanks!
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm disappointed 5.6 isn't out yet, since they said a few weeks ago they were going to start seeding to the mirrors.
    It's out!!

Release for CentOS-5.6 i386 and x86_64 [LWN.net]
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    Oh, I know ;) I had it syncing into Spacewalk within minutes of it hitting the mirrors (it was actually out to the mirrors a few days before the official release, it was delayed because they had to respin the x86_64 iso due to a gpg signing snafu)

Theoretically, Centos 6 should be out in a few weeks, but their release schedule has much slippage built in. I'm not particularly concerned for 6 though, I've been using SL6 for my new installs, and without a direct upgrade path from 5 to 6, I won't be in as big of a hurry for it, it'll be migration instead, and as long as 5.6 keeps getting security patches, I'm in no real hurry.
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□