Two different questions

Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
1) Do ya'll use Sysinternals tools "daily" ...meaning when you get a pop up error you've not seen before, do you go straight to Process Explorer and ProcMon and begin using those? I have been trying to use those tools more and more, and sometimes I find that I spend more time tracking down the issue with those than just "Googling" the error and finding the resolution.

I have discussed these tools a bit with my counterparts at different locations, and find that they either haven't heard about them or have never really used them..

2)How much do you use PowerShell? I'm just in the beginning stages of trying to learn it (actually came in useful yesterday when I wrote my first one-liner to solve an issue...ha ha only been reading and trying PowerShell for about a week now...already came in handy at work)...anyway are any of you out there using this fairly 'regularly'?

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To be honest, I google any error msg I haven't seen; they usually have an error code that needs explaining. Any problem that I come across will have been experienced somewhere else in the world. Event logs are also very useful. Haven't used the tools you mentioned unless they have some other name.

I use Powershell for projects or any ad hoc task that comes up requiring scripts. Recently I had to implement Quest ActiveRoles Server which involved a lot of scripting in either PoSh or VBS. And there's no way I'm going back to VBS. :p Once the project's finished though it's just back to the grind and PoSh is forgotten about until the project.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I jump to Google first. As mikedisd2 said there's usually a bit more info on an error message or error code out there that can be found really swiftly. I don't usually find too much of a reason to break out process monitor or process explorer. I use psexec a lot though.

My powershell usage goes up and down with how much Exchange work I'm doing. I'll definitely use powershell for automating any really repetitive tasks I run across though. It saved me hours the other day in building vpn scripts.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    To be honest, I google any error msg I haven't seen; they usually have an error code that needs explaining. Any problem that I come across will have been experienced somewhere else in the world. Event logs are also very useful. Haven't used the tools you mentioned unless they have some other name.

I use Powershell for projects or any ad hoc task that comes up requiring scripts. Recently I had to implement Quest ActiveRoles Server which involved a lot of scripting in either PoSh or VBS. And there's no way I'm going back to VBS. :p Once the project's finished though it's just back to the grind and PoSh is forgotten about until the project.

What has your experience with Quest ActiveRoles server like? I need people to self service their AD / Exchange accounts and this looks promising.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I always try to check the vendor's web site first to see if they have anything documented on whatever error message I am encountering. If that is a no-go I will try my luck on Google. I will use some of the Sysinternals tools when I need to do deeper troubleshooting, IE I can not find a solution using the two previous methods.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What has your experience with Quest ActiveRoles server like? I need people to self service their AD / Exchange accounts and this looks promising.

It looks to be a really powerful program, if you know how to configure it. The documentation is pathetic and I had to rely on a single forum for all answers and ideas. For me, ARS was dropped in front of me and was told to figure it out and make it work. I didn't look into the self service part; I just had to get provisoning/deprovisioning working to automate a tedious process and to completely remove user error. It will do what you're after but it's a really expensive product and Quest's implementation fees are extortion.
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Geetar28 wrote: »
    1) Do ya'll use Sysinternals tools

I use Procmon when I need it. I always start with error logs, move to google and the pull Procmon out of my bag if google fails me. I can't say I use it on a daily basis but I seem to need it once every couple of weeks or so.
    2)How much do you use PowerShell? I'm just in the beginning stages of trying to learn it (actually came in useful yesterday when I wrote my first one-liner to solve an issue...ha ha only been reading and trying PowerShell for about a week now...already came in handy at work)...anyway are any of you out there using this fairly 'regularly'?
    I'm beginning to use powershell more and more. One of the guys on my team is heavy into powershell and has written quite a few useful tools. Now that he's leaving I will probably have to delve a little deeper into it.
  • Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the replies. I wish more people would weigh in, as I'm curious how prevalent the usage of Procmon and ProcExplorer are out in the field. I too usually just go to error logs then google it. I was wanting a more "exact" approach, as I really would like to know what the heck is going on under the hood. Unfortunately my users won't wait for me to become proficient at ProcMon Ha ha ha..so i have been trying to grab an error window and a trace when the error occurs, and trying to carve out time to really nail what was happening.

My brother-in-law mentioned the Sysinternals videos that his company had a copy of, and they allowed me to borrow 'em (they are probably wanting those suckers back as I've had them a looooong time..lol) anyway I've watched the whole about 11 hour series and it was a huge eye opener.

The thing is when I try to employ the techniques Mark and Dave (old buddies of mine..ha ha) use it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm sure it gets easier the more you do it, but man the curve is steep. I'm all for getting the user back up and going as soon as possible, it's just that I would like to pinpoint exactly what caused the issue, as much for my own understanding as anything. I'm finding that most of my counterparts do exactly what I do, and just google it til they find out a fix. Maybe I'm wrong but I kinda feel like a person that can use those tools effectively moves from a being an "IT guy" to an expert technician.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Google first then I look at others, I don't only use to to solve the issue but to understand what it is, how it happened and how to prevent it in the future (if possible)
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Procmon and the rest are useful when packaging apps in App-V, Thinapp, and other application packaging/virtualization tools. Most apps have no support or documentation for App-V, and most apps aren't being packaged in App-V, so you are pretty much on your own.

It's also useful for getting locally installed apps to work for users who lack local administrator rights. It amazes me that in this day and age there are still apps that have problems with this, but apparently a lot of companies still develop for Windows 95.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Geetar28 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I kinda feel like a person that can use those tools effectively moves from a being an "IT guy" to an expert technician.

Our local suppport policy is that unless the problem is affecting several users, its not worth fighting with. If they can't fix it in about a half hour, they reimage the machines and see if it goes away.

Once the issue is confirmed to be affecting multiple sites around the world, then my team becomes involved and we break out procmon, windbg, wireshark, fiddler, etc.