Job interview tomorrow - Desktop-Network Technician

hey guys,

Tomorrow I have a job interview with a service provider in downtown and wanted to ask for opinions. I am currently working with a service provider also stationed at a customer site always. Recently I have been deployed to customer sites to do VDI deployments and get everyone settled and work the loose bolts. I am getting payed $14 with no benefits or anything just $14 flat.. no overtime. I have been working in I.T now for almost 3 years and hold the A+ and recently obtained my CCNA. Started in I.T in my senior year of High school (17) and am now (20).I just got an itnerview for tomorrow as a "Desktop-Network Technician". If I were to talk about salary what should I be looking forward to or asking for? Any tips please? Eventually I want to be a network engineer so My strong side is more networking and cisco. The job description for this new title is :

"IT Support Technician whose responsibilities will include working with our clients to resolve technicial issues either by remote support or on-site support"

"Familiar with using or supporting:

1. Windows XP PRO, Vista, Windows 7.
2. Microsoft Office, Adobe products, Quickbooks PRO
3. Antivirus and SPAM software products.
4. Working knowledge of corporate networks and domains.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    education?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I would be honest with yourself and look at the requirements/recommendations that you listed. Do you feel that you know how to support and use all of them?. If you said yes, then I would suggest you ask for a starting pay more than you make now. Maybe only a dollar or two more to start and if they add benefits ontop of that, you will be much farther ahead.

The way the list looks, this is an entry level job especially since they said "supporting or using". (You can know how to use something but have no clue where to start supporting). Being that you have been in the field for 3 years now, you have that on your side (as long as they don't think you are over qualified).

I would say depending on where you're located that $15 an hour would be pushing it for this position.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    15-16 hour for that, ask for more if your experience, education, certs and proficiency is especially good. I would personally ask for 16/ hour starting, because I have a super strong background in Networking technologies in general + all of the listed.

15-20 is a good range.
    :twisted:
  • Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    I dont have a CV and here is a copy of my resume/part of it.

CERTIFICATIONS
    A+ Certification - 2009
    CCNA - 2011

TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS
    Operating Systems: Windows 98/2000/ME/2003/XP/Vista/7, Mac OS X

Software Applications: Norton Ghost, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft office, VMware Vsphere

Hardware: Dell Optiplex/Poweredge/Latitude, Cisco Switches/Routers

Server: Active Directory

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Current , FL
    Jr. Network Administrator November 2010-Present

• Provide support for various clients via phone/on-site
    • Implement and troubleshoot LAN/WAN connections
    • Configure Cisco Switches/Routers
    • Deliver thin clients and help customers use them

Miami Jewish Health Systems, FL
    Computer Technician June 2009-November 2010

• Provide telephone & hands-on support to internal users
    • Install/troubleshoot printers
    • Provide Tier I/ desktop support for over 500 On-Site via desk side visits, Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.
    • Custom configuration and deployment of systems on Windows XP Workstations.
    • Provide hardware support of Dell Latitude laptops and Dell Dimension and Optiplex desktops.
    • Maintain Active Directory for User accounts and desktops/laptops.
    • Provided Tier I support for remote associates for ATT & Verizon wireless cards.

Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Miami, FL August 2008-June 2009
    Desktop Support

• Tutored students in various operating systems and software applications to enhance basic understanding of computer usage.
    • Served as mentor in computer labs, training students on individual basis.
    • Provided emergency technical support for early-morning shift.
    • Provided desktop support for over 600+ onsite computers via desk side visits or remote desktop.
    • Helped install 300+ new PC computers for lab.
    • Initiated log for charting computer usage, including instituting "problems and resolution" database which assisted lab in analyzing student needs.
    • Operate as service point-of-contact for help-desk, helping to diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve approximately 15 tickets per day.
    • Provide daily technical support for e-mail, network, connectivity, telecommunications, peripheral equipment, and system maintenance. Set up computers and install software.
    • Responsible for school inventory.
    • Reimaged over 90 HP and Dell workstations.
    • Created Images of workstations.
    • Maintained Active directory for user accounts and desktops.
    • Installed and maintained printers via TCP/IP
    • Performed hardware and software upgrades and support on Microsoft Windows environment workstations
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    wow you only get paid $14/hr as a jr network admin??
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • NickDogNickDog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would shoot for around $16 or higher and try to get $15. The biggest thing for most companies is going to be age. Im only 26 but a few years ago employers would look at you silly if I wanted more then 30k (this was in a different industry), even with very good experience. Now, I could go into a place(same industry) and probably get 50k with no problem. I think it all has to do with the age and what employers feel comfortable with. Resume looks good though, keep up the great work!
    yea they gave me that Title, even though they dont pay me like one... one day im a secretary another im a project manager and another im a network admin...
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Darian929 wrote: »
    yea they gave me that Title, even though they dont pay me like one... one day im a secretary another im a project manager and another im a network admin...

i know how it is. im labeled as a "systems admin" too but don't get paid like one. my job is half IT half "office" tasks.

is this a full time position? i would shoot for $17-$18/hr WITH benefits..you have decent exp (actually very good for your age) and a CCNA too icon_thumright.gif
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    whats your educational background? this could very well be the difference in your dollars.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Well saying im 20 sort of puts it out there that I just completed High school and am in college finishing my associates to move into my bachelores.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Looks like you got some experience and some nice certs. If they ask what kind of salary your looking for I would say around 20 beans an hour. Aim high, remember you cant make an omelet without a breaking an egg.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Darian929 wrote: »
    Well saying im 20 sort of puts it out there that I just completed High school and am in college finishing my associates to move into my bachelores.

Yes you're young but you've got good certs and solid experience. I know Miami isn't exactly cheap either, I would think no less than 40 to 45k per year. Now obviously if benefits are provided that could be a reason to take a tad less. Don't let them try and take advantage of you because of your age.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Familiar with using or supporting:

1. Windows XP PRO, Vista, Windows 7.
    2. Microsoft Office, Adobe products, Quickbooks PRO
    3. Antivirus and SPAM software products.
    4. Working knowledge of corporate networks and domains.

This sounds more Desktop support than Network one, you said you have CCNA but no MS certs so why don't you get some MS certs if you are planning to go this road?

If not then what benefits you will be getting from this job other than financial ones?
    Well I know it sounds more Like a MS track but i was concentrated on the CCNA and will be taking the mctip classes at the college this semester and summer also... The track I want to go is networking but in my current job I feel really underpaid and no benefits icon_sad.gif no paid days off or vacations
    Right now I'd say I do more support and user end help because of the restrictions this company has but ultimately I want to do networking but it's hard to get a networking job at mh age. This current company is to home business like in the way that there are no policies and basically just 4 employees
    So I got out of the interview just now and it went well. They asked me if I knew about some stuff and if I'd be wiling to learn about them.. like exchange or phones or w/e so ofcoarse I said I am always willing to learn. They asked me about my current salary and I did say $16/hr. They didn't say anything about their budget or what they paid. They said they will call me back so let's see whath appens