What next?

--Scruffy----Scruffy-- Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

this is my first post here and I like to start a discussion about what I should study next.

I've already done these certifications:

Sun Certified Java Programmer (2000)
Certified Ethical Hacker (2007)
EC Security Analyst (2010)
CISSP (2009)

Actually I'm doing the PWB (Pentesting with Backtrack), but this is getting some kind of a long term project to me. icon_study.gif

I'm still interested in programming (mainly in Web Services)
I like Linux and I already thought about doing LPI. (I already read the book)
CISA or CISM would also do well in my C.V.
I also like forensics. So maybe there's an issue, too.

I've seen that many of you people have A+, Network+ and Security+. Is this something I also should consider or not worthy as I've already done some fundamental security certifications?

About me:
I've studied computer science (MSc) and I've worked as an software developer and architect from 1996 till 2003. Since 2005 I'm into the security consulting business, therefore I'm trying to improve my skills through certifications. My background is more on software, applications and iso layer 7. So my main focus is actually on Web Application Security (OWASP). But I'm also interested in network security and skills, not only because my skills in network security are improvable. icon_smile.gif

Any suggestions, questions, hints, experience is highly appreciated. icon_cheers.gif

--Scruffy--

Comments

• --Scruffy----Scruffy-- Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nobody with a hint or comment? icon_rolleyes.gifconfused.pngicon_sad.gificon_mad.gif
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    You already have an impressive set of certifications so you don't need any of the CompTIA exams, those are entry level. Do one of the Linux exams and then how's about CCNA: Security??
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From what you wrote the CCNA:Security would be a nice find.

I wouldn't worry about the Comptia's
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Continue along the ECcouncil path; ECSA, CHFI and finally the Licenced Penetration Tester.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    badboyeee wrote: »
    You already have an impressive set of certifications so you don't need any of the CompTIA exams, those are entry level. Do one of the Linux exams and then how's about CCNA: Security??

I agree I would skip CompTIA at this point since you already have a solid knowledgebase icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    badboyeee wrote: »

Thanks for the advice. Yes the Linux exam would be quite funny, I guess. An hors d'oeuvre. icon_cool.gif

I'm not familiar with the CCNA world of exams, but I'll have a look at the CCNA:Security subjects.
    2E151 wrote: »
    Continue along the ECcouncil path; ECSA, CHFI and finally the Licenced Penetration Tester.

I'm already a certified ECSA. The LPT is only a payment, if you have the CEH and ECSA. So I would "only" cost me $500 to complete this certificate. But I'm not sure, if it's worth it. Especially because you have to pay those $500 every three years again. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    True about being worthit. If it'll help you get a job in the field then it's worth it and may be deductible (you'd have to check to be sure)
    As the others have said the CompTIAs may not be worth your while.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I think you have enough nice certs already. Maybe ITIL V3 foundation, CISA, and CISM would be nice additions to you.

I think you don't need CompTIA certs at all.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE