Certs/Degrees

needhelpmanneedhelpman Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
In you alls opinion who do you think would get the job first. A person with a bachelors degree or a person with 3 or 4 (quality)certifications
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
ALL THE WAY

Comments

• Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Depending on what type of job it is. For the most part I believe the individual with the degree would obtain the job first.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well if the guy had a CCIE, CISSP, MCSE, and CCNP then he would get the job first.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • needhelpmanneedhelpman Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well if the guy had a CCIE, CISSP, MCSE, and CCNP then he would get the job first.

How long does it take get those certifications
    THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
    ALL THE WAY
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529

That may be true for some situations, but not all. I work the State of Tennessee and you HAVE to have a degree. I've seen a guy that had "higher" up certs and no degree lose the job to someone with only A+ and an A.A.S degree.

So, to answer you question, it really depends on the employer and their rules.
    CCIE and CISSP are related to your hands on life knowledge, etc. could take years of on the job work plus studying to grasp these subjects.

if you spent all your time just studying for certs at a school with equipment and had no job it would still take a while to get that expertise.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    yea, i know what you are saying about degrees man, I was being a bit sarcastic listing those certs compared to an associates.

a CCIE and CISSP would have enough schooling and experience to beat out an associates. A CCNA and MCSE may not though.

but a CISSP and CCIE DEFINETLY would. In fact, if you had those 2, you would never take a job that a person with an associates degree and low level could ever get because it would be way below your qualifications.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • lorynloryn Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't even think a person with CCIE and CISSP would be CONSIDERED for a position like that because they would NEVER pay them what they're worth AND they are so overqualified for the position...
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I think the BA would win, hands down.
  • dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    If you ever want to make it to an executive level you need a degree. If you want to stay technical and make a lot of money, get the top certs.
  • jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What about an asssociates, bachelors, and a masters degree. But they are not in computer science. I have been a teacher for the past four years and laid off recently. I taught PE, Health, and Computer Applications. I also have A+, N+, MCP. Do companies just care about a degree or does it have to be a degree in computer science?
  • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jdog29 wrote:
    What about an asssociates, bachelors, and a masters degree. But they are not in computer science. I have been a teacher for the past four years and laid off recently. I taught PE, Health, and Computer Applications. I also have A+, N+, MCP. Do companies just care about a degree or does it have to be a degree in computer science?

Most companies just want the degree. I have a degree in secondary education, but it seems that has never hurt me. (I have turned down 4 jobs in the last 6 months).
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
    ALL THE WAY

Indeed. icon_thumright.gif
  • jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool that is good news. Degrees do stand for something. Cherper you have had good fortune to be turning down four jobs. I have been searcing for an entry level IT networking Computer technician for over two years and still searching. I have had two interview, which I thought went well, but did not land the job. I am trying to stay confident and keep on trying, sooner or later I will put my degree and certifications to use.

JDog29
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Cisco is not kidding when they say a ccie is the doctorit of networking.

It depends on your employer. If you have Certs you can usually get college credit for them. For instance Im taking the CCNA next week. My school already told me I will recieve 8 credits for having it. So with certs, and can fairly easly get college credit and be at least half way to a associates degree.

I have seen some employers say they require one year of job experience, a 2 year degree, or A+. Now if you look at that, obviously the A+ is probly the no brainer, hard training can grab you that in a very short time.

In reality, why not do both? My local community college offers A+, Network+, CCNA, CCNP, PIX Firewall, Cisco Wireless. All of these classes are part of and required for a Computer and Internetworking Technologies degree.
  • goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find that the more I push for a cert/eperience the more I get left behind with the technology. Then corporations/companies want whats new and you end up haveing to play catch up. So I think that the degree would hold more weight verses the cert.
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    So what kind of degrees are availible in the US?

In canada, we have colleges and universities. College = diploma, university = degree.

As far as I'm concenerd, there's no "networking" degree. I'm thinking of going to university but I'm wondering what kind of degree looks good with a networking diploma?
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • DarklyWiseDarklyWise Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    http://www.fhsu.edu/int

B.Sc. in Information Networking and Telecommunications Degree - you can major in Web Development or Computer Networking and Telecommunications.

Even though I'm in .ca, our Distance Learning options are extremely limited - I did not want to do a CS degree so I looked around and came across FHSU.

You may want to broaden your horizons and look outside .ca for studies icon_smile.gif

BTW. in the US a College is generally an institution that can grant Certs, Diplomas, Associate Degrees and Bachelor Degrees, while a University can grant all those as well as Masters and Doctorates.

Interested in Distance Learning? http://www.degreeinfo.com
    A being Darkly Wise and Rudely Great