Recommendations for a good TCP/IP book

youchoniumyouchonium Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have come across any good TCP/IP book. I wanted to increase my understanding of TCP/IP. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Youchan

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Try this one:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9061

I'm sure O'Reilly has some good books on TCP/IP as well.
  • jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I like the free one......it's free..... icon_lol.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tcp/ip illustrated .... you stole my answer .....
    but what about the swimsuit issue ?
    rm -rf /
  • youchoniumyouchonium Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the suggestions! Have to love the free IBM book!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's amazing the number of web pages with detailed TCP/IP information. Not all of it is correct, however, so beware.

If you get tired of looking at TCP/IP from the theoretical protocol perspective, try looking at protocols from a software engineer's perspective as a device to implement. IMO, network protocols are much more fun when you actually try to do something real with them.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    IMO, network protocols are much more fun when you actually try to do something real with them.

Indeed. Though I have never messed with them from a development standpoint, there is a huge difference in reading about them and even getting a packet sniffer to actually SEE what you're reading about.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    /usr wrote:
    Indeed. Though I have never messed with them from a development standpoint, there is a huge difference in reading about them and even getting a packet sniffer to actually SEE what you're reading about.
    Try playing around with packet crafter software and figuring out how to create one or more packets that'll crash a software service service, or the firmware of a firewall or router. You'd be surprised at how many services and devices do not validate that a packet's structure and data is correct before trying to use it. *BOOM!* icon_eek.gif
  • dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    jdmurray wrote:
    /usr wrote:
    Try playing around with packet crafter software and figuring out how to create one or more packets that'll crash a software service service, or the firmware of a firewall or router. You'd be surprised at how many services and devices do not validate that a packet's structure and data is correct before trying to use it. *BOOM!* icon_eek.gif

Yep, the old land attack resurfaced recently. Winxp sp2 and win2003 are vulnerable to it. Did I mention Microsoft acknowledged this and doesn't consider it a threat? I've tested it and it does indeed raise cpu to 100%. Multiple connections make the target toast