Trouble building a Windows 7 PE image

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I'm following the directions from the MS press 70-680 on how to build PE with the copype.cmd command in \PETools. I would copy Imagex and run oscdimg from the errata pdf; I've done it 2-3 times, building both a amd64 and x86 image but I ran into the same problem each time when booting into the image. My machine would get a 0xc000000f error in repair mode, this happens even on a vm that I used the image on.

Usually I'd skip the step but it leads up to backing up and restoring images so I'm stuck until I figure it out.

Comments

• BasilFBasilF Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you sure you aren't caught out by another error in the book.. from memory it doesn't cover the vital step of actually including a boot.wim file when you build the iso...!

e.g. copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

More info here (see entry for page 67): MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows® 7 Unconfirmed Errata | O'Reilly Media

Hope it helps...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BasilF wrote: »
    Are you sure you aren't caught out by another error in the book.. from memory it doesn't cover the vital step of actually including a boot.wim file when you build the iso...!

More info here (see entry for page 67): MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows® 7 Unconfirmed Errata | O'Reilly Media

Hope it helps...

I'm wondering about this as well. It's been a while since I took the exam or have even touched this since we use Ghost and BartPE for most of our issues. One benefit of the lousy MS Press book is that you learn and don't forget what you have to look up.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

Hope it helps...

Great information, thank you. I think I've almost put together all of the errata for this book. I feel for those who were relying on this book before all of the corrections were recognized and well documented.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423

Hope it helps...

Thanks for the link. I'll probably follow the steps on technet to make a winpe image, the directions in the book are horrible even with the errata.

I did try copying boot.wim to the directory you specified but it seems like it boots into the windows 7 installation instead of a command prompt to start imagex. I don't believe going to the repair link will open a command prompt? I didn't try it but now that I think about it that may work.

Microsoft really should have sourced the command prompt stuff to someone that writes scripting books instead of the guy that wrote most of the boot. It would have saved on the erratas and the need of breaking down of what part of the command did what. It takes some guess work on what part of the command is doing what.