Options

same as lazyarts topic. Networking Lab questions.

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
Current computers.

two athlon clients both running xp. (currently using crossover cable)

Have home versions and pro versions

One dual p3 500 computer off ebay for cheap. Just for networking fun. (server)

No router/hub. (need a suggestion to buy)(cheap)

considering One more computer for os install test computer

Goal

1. usability to clients need to be able to acces internet, share printers, share files.(this is absolute. if the wife doesnt have normal use of her computer, then I get cut-off)

2.Networking Lab for
Mcse
Mcsa
Mcp
CCNA

What do you guys think/suggestions to buy and how to setup
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Didn't you say that you only had dialup?

Cheeblie
  • Options
    yes, dialup is the only option for me right now.

It is currently on my computer and my wife just shares that connection with me. But I would like to put that modem in the new server and share it like that..

(dialup sucks)
  • Options
    What I would do is setup the server to run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your internet connection which would be run on your server. Then you wold install 2 NICs on the server and have a crossover cable feed to to each of your computers. This is the setup:
    ICS.jpg
    I believe that this setup would work, however, if you wanted to use a router you could install only one NIC on the server and connect it to the router (Or hub/switch). Then connect your client computers to the router/hub/switch. The setup would look like this:
    ICS2.jpg
    To get a full understanding of routing you should probably get 2 routers. That's about all the input I can provide unless you are more specific on how you want things laid out.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    The second one is Pretty much what I had in mind. But possibly throw in one more computer so I can try to connect other os's or make it another server, or even mess around with ris a bit.

What would you recommend in terms of routers, or hubs? Cheap.
  • Options
    Any LinkSys or NetGear router should do the job for you. Just make sure that it has enough ports to support all your PCs. I'de recommend the LinkSys BEFSR41, or if you're interested in a wireless setup you could go with the WRT51AB or WRT55AG routers.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    Wireless is not a bad idea, but a bit expensive.. Considering I will need Everything. The nics, and the router.

Will wireless do everything that wired will do?

What type of nic options are out there?

What about the security?

pandimus
  • Options
    Well, wireless is about half the speed of a 100BaseTX network with the fastest wireless (54Mbps 802.11a & 802.11g). The primary wireless 802.11b is very slow at 11 Mbps. As far as security is concerned, wireless is still in it's infancy and any encryption can be cracked with a period of a hour or so. However, most people will not attempt to access a wireless network if it has a key simply because there are so many others out there that use no encryption. There are ways to make your setup more secure by changing you SSID to something other than the default (you have no idea how many "LinkSys" SSIDs there are around). After you have changed the SSID there is an option to no broadcast the SSID, which will force users to know the SSID in order to even see that the network it there. Home users shouldn't have too much of a problem with this, but businesses should be wary because anyone can easily enter you network if they truly want to. Well, that's my explanation of wireless. Although I use it, I still have yet to change my SSID (I'm just too lazy) :D .

Cheeblie
  • Options
    Well I will see. I will see what I can pick up on ebay.

Wire'd would be cheaper, but wireless would be funner.