Options

Hyper-V and VHDs for Windows Server 2008

certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 hypervisor (not Hyper-V role on windows server 2008 ) is free to use. There are some VHDs for Windows Server 2008 for evaluation/trial. Do these VHDs work with the Hyper-V Server 2008 as well as Hyper-V role? I thought even Virtual PC can run VHDs?

Has anyone been using Hyper-V Server 2008 to lab and practice? I am currently using XP on desktop and win 7 on laptop. I am thinking of installing Hyper-V Server 2008 and several guests for learning towards server exams. I currently use the desktop (Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9550, SAS HDDs RAID-1, 4GB) as my main machine for reading, browsing, and everything. So far, I have only been using VMWare on my laptop to run several instances of Windows Server 2008 R2 guests. It is slow because it is core 2 duo. I have two old servers which do not have VT-X capable processors. Therefore can only run Windows Server 2008 x86 guests only.

Would I be better off sticking to VMWare because I can use a client OS(XP/win 7) and only run virtualization software when needed?

I could also use an additional hard drive on desktop to dual boot to Hyper-V Server 2008. I probably have to upgrade the RAM on both machines. What do you suggest?

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 hypervisor (not Hyper-V role on windows server 2008 ) is free to use. There are some VHDs for Windows Server 2008 for evaluation/trial. Do these VHDs work with the Hyper-V Server 2008 as well as Hyper-V role?
    If they have Hyper-V support, then it should work on both.
    I thought even Virtual PC can run VHDs?
    A lot of software can use VHD files. It is only a virtual disk format. VHDs created for one hypervisor can be used on another that supports VHD, but if an OS is installed on it, it may or may not boot. If it's confusing, just think of a VHD file as a physical hard disk. You can physically connect a hard drive to a variety of physical machines, just like you can connect a VHD to VMs on a variety of hypervisors.
    Would I be better off sticking to VMWare because I can use a client OS(XP/win 7) and only run virtualization software when needed?
    If you need to use the machine as a desktop, then yes, use VMware Workstation, VirtualBox, etc.. Hyper-V Server is based on Server 2008 Core, so there is no functional desktop.
    I could also use an additional hard drive on desktop to dual boot to Hyper-V Server 2008. I probably have to upgrade the RAM on both machines. What do you suggest?
    You could do this, but again, when booted to Hyper-V Server, it won't be usable for any desktop purpose.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    A lot of software can use VHD files. It is only a virtual disk format. VHDs created for one hypervisor can be used on another that supports VHD, but if an OS is installed on it, it may or may not boot. If it's confusing, just think of a VHD file as a physical hard disk. You can physically connect a hard drive to a variety of physical machines, just like you can connect a VHD to VMs on a variety of hypervisors.

Microsoft website gives the impression that there are tons of VHDs/appliances to test. So far I only saw Server 2008 VHDs and a few others like exchange and 2003 server. Even their SQL Server 2008 VHD is expired. icon_smile.gif
    If you need to use the machine as a desktop, then yes, use VMware Workstation, VirtualBox, etc.. Hyper-V Server is based on Server 2008 Core, so there is no functional desktop.

You could do this, but again, when booted to Hyper-V Server, it won't be usable for any desktop purpose.

How are you using Hyper-V? Are you directly working on the machine or remoting via Hyper-V Manager?

I am using Core Configurator and hvremote utilities from codeplex to configure. Currently accessing using Hyper-V manager from Win 7 client and remote desktop to VMs from XP.

I always think of installing, setting up, and configuring a single Windows Server 2008 VM and making copies of it as needed. This is how I did when using VMWare. Is there a way to make copies (clones or file copy) so I don't have to install the OS everytime I need a VM of Windows Server 2008?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Just shutdown the source VHD and make a copy of it. Then you can create another virtual machine and attach the VHD to it. Or you can export a virtual machine and keep a backup of the .exp file to keep on re-importing it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    Just shutdown the source VHD and make a copy of it. Then you can create another virtual machine and attach the VHD to it. Or you can export a virtual machine and keep a backup of the .exp file to keep on re-importing it.

If I activated the OS on a VHD and copied (or exported) to use in another VM, do I have to activate again from the new VM?
  • Options
    projectleadershipprojectleadership Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot,undomiel.Thanks for giving the information.

But i also want to ask u that is it necessary to activate again from the new VM?icon_cool.gif