What happens if you don't resolve enough tickets with help desk job?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Will the employer terminate you? Will they require some sort of training? Given this is entry level work.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on the company I guess. If you aren't performing to the standard set most places will give you remedial training or something before they fire you. At the end of the day though if you can't get the job done they will find someone that will.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it depends a lot on the work enviornment you are in and the business you work for. At my job where im a tier 1 tech support representative, they "grade" us on call quality and quantity. They review about 10 calls per month on a rubric and we get a rating. And we have to get at least 25 calls a day and stay above 95/100 call quality. If you dip below that once or twice its fine, but if you remain drastically below those standards for a period of time you would get a formal talking to and then possible termination since you arent doing your job.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It depends on the company. I solve maybe 3-4 tickets a day and I have another 36 in Que and I put in 8 hours at work and maybe another 2 at home and they are hoping I don' quit.:)
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Where I am goes on call volume. Some days we're slow, some days were not. If you're taking 20-25 calls in your day and everyone else is taking 35-40 they're going to look at you closely to figure out why. Everyone has a long call from time to time. Are you new to the job? If so then they usually have a grace period of where it gives you the chance to get up to speed.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    But how often is it that the problem is extremely difficult? Could you guys give some examples of problems people call in with?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    But how often is it that the problem is extremely difficult? Could you guys give some examples of problems people call in with?

Depends on the scope of your help desk. Last one I worked we did network connectivity, that's it. My current job is also help desk, we support pretty much everything you can imagine except the network. What you support will determine what your problem calls will be.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Typically, it depends on what the SLA (Service Level Agreement) is. Depending on what the ticket is, it's going to fall in a bucket that has a predetermined time of what the required time to completion is. Many 'Desks require that the ticket is responded to within x amount of hours; not necessarily completed, and then you update the ticket as needed.

Depending on the ticket, some could be gimmes, some could be doozies. The gimmes are expected to be knocked out, and if it is not there might need to be an explanation as to why it was not. The doozies should be updated with what the problem is, see if there is anything in a centralized knowledge-base to see if this had already been addressed (sometimes by you...but it had been awhile since you've dealt with it).

A good help desk manager would review the open tickets daily (typically at the start and/or end of day). He is supposed to know the difference between tickets that are easy and those that are problematic, but that's why it's important to document the tickets...it's CYA.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    we're required to have a 70% First Call Resolution rate
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Last place I worked with a ticketing system would BWC (*****, whine and complain) if ANY software related tickets were open at the end of the day. Granted we were supporting a custom program, and if end users found issues we had to try to find a work around then and there or get written up. You also had to provide an email to the owner each and every day on the tickets you worked on, start/stop times. If he didnt feel you completed the taks quickly enough, you got written up. There was no time frame, just his personal opinion. Even if it was a programming glitch, there was no reason to not close the ticket. Glad I am out of there!