Would you to put your current job on the line to go to C|EH boot camp

coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
for FREE????

I got picked to go free of charge and my company doesn't like it. I think it's worth it, income < $20 hr.
Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!

Comments

• TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    yes but begin lining new work up and study as hard as you can so you don't end up without a job and without the cert
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    coty24 wrote: »
    for FREE????

I got picked to go free of charge and my company doesn't like it. I think it's worth it, income < $20 hr.

Congratulations!

First, make certain it is not 'too good' to be true. If it's what you want and it is legit. Why not?

Second, Why doesn't the current employer like it? Because you'll be gone? Or some other reason? Perhaps you can make it so you are more valuable to them once completed.

Lastly, find something else and use your time studying wisely...as therhino posted...you don't want to be without a job and without a cert after this process.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    for FREE????

Congratz, and yes I would take grumbles from my job to go. :)
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wow your company doesn't have any interests in your education for your career? What a sucky @ss place to work in. You must have an A-hole for a boss.

I say email C|EH to see if you can post-pone the class for a later date, where you can perhaps put in a vacation request and use that time to take the class. After studying and receiving your cert, i would leave that company. If you are young, have no kids, or no one to support but yourself, you don't need to be in a place that has no interests in your educational growth. That means the company and your boss have no future interests in even keeping you around.

So do things the smart way. See if you can post-pone it to a later date , try to get some vacation time for that specific later date. Do not tell your boss or any co-workers that you have post-poned the class, then after you get your cert, move on and away from that company. Simply and in plain english "F**K Them!"
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I got picked to go free of charge and my company doesn't like it.
    Picked by who?
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Picked by who?

It was the global knowledge/ec-council contest. I got a congratulatory letter and confirmation email. So I'm in free of charge, Global Knowledge is picking up the tab.

@Everyone, thank you very much for responding, I will heed everything that was said here. Thank you! I got till sunday night to decide. As of now, I don't have any job backups so a lot is on the line for me trying to accomplish my dream.
    It was the global knowledge/ec-council contest. I got a congratulatory letter and confirmation email. So I'm in free of charge, Global Knowledge is picking up the tab.

@Everyone, thank you very much for responding, I will heed everything that was said here. Thank you! I got till sunday night to decide. As of now, I don't have any job backups so a lot is on the line for me trying to accomplish my dream.

Tell us how it all goes... :)
  • WescottWescott Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Good Luck Bro.!! Definitely let us know what happens...Jobs come and go man... if your current place can't get over it or encourage you, it's probably time to move on. Hell, at <$20 / hr it ain't that big a loss (if it even goes that far)...be strong...study hard and it will work out in the end.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck let us know how it goes!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No, I wouldn't. You can learn just as much with free resources online and a modest VM setup. A couple $50 (or dirt-cheap, used) books can expedite the process.

The course is probably fine, but it's not worth risking your livelihood over, especially if you don't have any fall-back plans. You should also reevaluate the value of the CEH; it's not likely that it in and of itself will allow you to achieve your dreams.

I'm all for optimism and going above-and-beyond to get what you want, but in this scenario, the risk seems to greatly outweigh the reward.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Fully agree with Dynamik.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I agree with Dynamik as well.

Although, you must not be that crazy about your job to even be considering the worst case scenario. I wouldn't do anything that would cause you to leave on bad terms, regardless of how (un)important this position is to you. That can come back to bite you later.

If you can schedule a later class, like others suggested, that would be the best option. That way you wouldn't have to piss off any supervisors.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    This class is awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

details soon :D
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    looks like he made the decision to take the class. Hopefully he worked something out with his employer. :D
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    Yeah I'm still seeing what is going on, but i believe the class is worth it. They still throw a lot of tools at you,(compared to previous rewiews) but more methodology and reasons for doing it are there.

As far as finanaces as concerned, I don't live paycheck to paycheck. I really would like to keep my job; there is a lot I can learn, because not many people there WANT to learn. That is the only reason.

Thank you everyone for comments and concerns, I love this community!

I will keep you up to date.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would not take the training if it jeopardized my job. That being said, it is ridiculous that it would. Honestly, all companies should support you being removed from your work for a minimum amount of time each year, both for the purpose of rest or training and for security purposes. By having you out of your job for a certain period of time, they have a certain level of assurance that you aren't doing anything shady (unless you are, then they have a better chance of exposing that).

You need to communicate with them that this is really in the best interest of the organization. I assume that if they are not supporting you to take reputable training for free that they are not likely providing any training on their dime either.

Well, you know your situation better than any of us. If I were in a situation making below $20/hour, I would be looking for something that paid more, but that also comes with the premise that you are qualified for work that is more lucrative... and I don't know that. The CEH would likely be at least something that supports the value you provide to a potential employer.

Perhaps their contention is that it doesn't support your current activities with the company or responsibilities that they would be willing to give you. Is that potentially the case?
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Perhaps their contention is that it doesn't support your current activities with the company or responsibilities that they would be willing to give you. Is that potentially the case?

This is what I was thinking.

It looks the the OP made the decision to attend the boot-camp...good luck!
  • holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CEH has 8570 accreditation so that means it is actually worth quite a bit more than other certifications that do not have 8570 (especially if you want a DoD / government cleared job).
    powerfool wrote: »
    I would not take the training if it jeopardized my job. That being said, it is ridiculous that it would. Honestly, all companies should support you being removed from your work for a minimum amount of time each year, both for the purpose of rest or training and for security purposes. By having you out of your job for a certain period of time, they have a certain level of assurance that you aren't doing anything shady (unless you are, then they have a better chance of exposing that).

You need to communicate with them that this is really in the best interest of the organization. I assume that if they are not supporting you to take reputable training for free that they are not likely providing any training on their dime either.

Well, you know your situation better than any of us. If I were in a situation making below $20/hour, I would be looking for something that paid more, but that also comes with the premise that you are qualified for work that is more lucrative... and I don't know that. The CEH would likely be at least something that supports the value you provide to a potential employer.

"You need to communicate with them that this is really in the best interest of the organization. I assume that if they are not supporting you to take reputable training for free that they are not likely providing any training on their dime either."

That is exactly what I did, they still didn't want me missing the time. As you know, I am here at the Boot Camp, going into day 4, I have no regrets really.

"Well, you know your situation better than any of us. If I were in a situation making below $20/hour, I would be looking for something that paid more, but that also comes with the premise that you are qualified for work that is more lucrative... and I don't know that. The CEH would likely be at least something that supports the value you provide to a potential employer."

That is exactly what I am doing right now, which is a small reasons I took the course. And yes, I am qualified, I am also a Information Systems Analyst( ARMY).

"Perhaps their contention is that it doesn't support your current activities with the company or responsibilities that they would be willing to give you. Is that potentially the case?"

I believe whole heartedly it was for money, that they didn't want to spend (salary) on that type of certification(job).

Today, I gave my formal resignation.

-I believe God gave me the opportunity to attend this course, I will see it through and the consequences thereof.- :D
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best wishes on your endeavor.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Here's hoping the best for you!! I respect those that advised not jeopardizing your job. Far too often, though, I think that people (in general) hold on to their jobs for dear life for the wrong reasons. Everyone's situation is different and each person has to make those "big boy" decisions for themselves...At the risk of getting an earful for stating this opinion, I can tell you that some of the most exhilirating times in my life have been walking out of a s^!* job situation...your world "usually" expands.

Now I'm not saying that I make a regular habit of jumping for the door (in fact I feel the opposite..there are many lessons to be learned toughing out a rough situation), but sometimes the only way to know what your are capable of is going ALL out. When you "move-on to OTHER opportunites" you are 'steering' your life for better or worse...and nothing feels better than taking that control.

P.S. Hope ya paid attention in class....ha ha ha
  • lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    for FREE????

Not worth it man. Most security pros I have talked to here in the DC area do not respect the C|EH as opposed to a GCEH or GCIA.

I think a standard way is to keep your job until you have something solid waiting for you. I'd offer you current employer work for a day without pay to kinda make them agree with you Good Luckicon_thumright.gif
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If this were me, I would have NEVER done what the OP did. I would NEVER resign from any position without having something lined up. Doing that prohibits and/or makes difficult to receive UI.

Mind you, I have money in the bank, but steady stream of income is always preferable. If your company sucks that much, you gotta suck it up and wait until the next opportunity presents itself. Then you can leave. Leaving beforehand is foolish, IMHO.

Best of luck though, OP. I hope everything is ok!

I don't write this for the benefit of the OP, but rather anyone else who might find themselves in a similar situation as the OP. I'm all for gambling and risk tasking (the higher the risk, the higher the reward). Just make sure that your risk is properly calculated and that in the end...it was worth it.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If this were me, I would have NEVER done what the OP did. I would NEVER resign from any position without having something lined up. Doing that prohibits and/or makes difficult to receive UI.

Mind you, I have money in the bank, but steady stream of income is always preferable. If your company sucks that much, you gotta suck it up and wait until the next opportunity presents itself. Then you can leave. Leaving beforehand is foolish, IMHO.

Best of luck though, OP. I hope everything is ok!

I don't write this for the benefit of the OP, but rather anyone else who might find themselves in a similar situation as the OP. I'm all for gambling and risk tasking (the higher the risk, the higher the reward). Just make sure that your risk is properly calculated and that in the end...it was worth it.

It was worth it.
    LOL! This thread reminds me of a saying my preacher once told me:

"Opinions are like armpits, everyone has one and they all stink time-to-time."

I'm not sure I would have chosen the path the OP chose, but I think we have beaten this horse enough. It's dead... icon_wink.gif
    LOL! This thread reminds me of a saying my preacher once told me:

"Opinions are like armpits, everyone has one and they all stink time-to-time."

I'm not sure I would have chosen the path the OP chose, but I think we have beaten this horse enough. It's dead... icon_wink.gif

I am very appreciative of the comments left here, I really am. I love this community, one of the better ones I've been on. I just want to say thank you very much for all the comments left here. :D