Adventures of a new grad (A.S.)

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
This thread is intended to be a source of insight and encouragement to those of you beginning your degree or currently looking for a job. Beginning today, I'm carefully documenting my job apps whether they be online, phone calls, or pounding pavement/knocking on doors. I'm graduating in 49 days (May 5th) and ideally would like to begin working May 9th.

I'll be posting here to update the number of job applications I've submitted, number of interviews, etc.

Today I've registered on dice.com, and applied to one employer (directly) for an entry level virtualization position. I'm going to register on monster.com, careerbuilder.com, check the Department of Veterans Affairs for IT jobs, and check with my college's job placement services. Also plan to apply directly to 3 different hospitals, cisco partners, and microsoft partners for any open IT positions. Did I miss anything?

My goal is 100 applications before May 1st icon_lol.gif
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you on LinkedIn yet? I've connected with different recruiters and they often post jobs on LinkedIn.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Yes I am Tyler Milam | LinkedIn

How did you connect with these recruiters? Job boards? I'll remember that and add them in when I've had email communication with them. Good tip!
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you on LinkedIn yet? I've connected with different recruiters and they often post jobs on LinkedIn.

I'll second this. It's also an outstanding resource if you get an interview, if you know who you'll be talking to look them up. It's helped me so far in this job interview process i'm going through. Let's you know what kind of common ground you share. It also allows you to look up the current employees that have registered and get a feel for the type of person they're looking for.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've had a lot of lucky lately finding jobs using Indeed.com
    ehnde wrote: »

How did you connect with these recruiters? Job boards? I'll remember that and add them in when I've had email communication with them. Good tip!

That is how I end up connecting with them. Sometimes they even ask.
    /usr wrote: »
    I've had a lot of lucky lately finding jobs using Indeed.com

Thanks I'm adding that one to the list.
    Thanks I'm adding that one to the list.

You can also setup e-mail alerts based on word/location with Indeed.com. I get daily e-mail alerts from them.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Looks like you have it all figured out Tyler.

This is a great idea! After taking a peek at your Linkedin page, I don't think you will have a problem landing a job if you can handle yourself well in an interview.

Try not to get the companies confused, especially if you are shooting for 100 apps. Maybe get a notebook and save a page for each company you apply and write down things like the company name of course, position, requirements, contact informaiton, etc.

Good Luck!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I'll second this. It's also an outstanding resource if you get an interview, if you know who you'll be talking to look them up. It's helped me so far in this job interview process i'm going through. Let's you know what kind of common ground you share. It also allows you to look up the current employees that have registered and get a feel for the type of person they're looking for.

i do this...

and I got my job via Careerbuilder.com
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • tango3065tango3065 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good to meet you, one of my degrees is also through KCTCS in Information Technology :D
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    usajobs.gov is worth keeping an eye on just be prepared to hurry-up and wait.

Join your local ISSA, ISACA, and OWASP chapters (no fee for OWASP) and print yourself up some business cards with your name and contact info. Get out to those trade group meetings and network! I can only speak about the Los Angeles chapters but our meetings are usually attended by a large number of recruiters. We all stand up and introduce ourselves at the beginning of the meetings just say those magic words "I'm looking for new opportunities" and you will likely make friends with every recruiter in the place. We have many execs and department heads that attend these meetings. Its always nice to attend these meetings and when you go to sit an interview (and it will happen) and the interviewer recognizes you from one of these meetings it really can work in your favor. You have an instant ice-breaker, you may already know them, and it shows you have a level of commitment to your craft.

Try it and see what happens.

HTH

~CP
    usajobs.gov is worth keeping an eye on just be prepared to hurry-up and wait.

Thanks! added this one to the spreadsheet.

So far I've registered with dice.com, careerbuilder, and indeed.com. I've applied directly for 5 jobs with 4 different companies. 95 to go icon_lol.gif

I'm getting a TON of automated emails. Several of them from other sites trying to get job seekers on THEIR site. It's annoying. I applied for a job with an ISP and they insisted on having my SSN to apply for the job. I know this is part of the process, but I'm wondering if I should put a freeze on my credit reports while applying to so many jobs.
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I applied for a job with an ISP and they insisted on having my SSN to apply for the job. I know this is part of the process, but I'm wondering if I should put a freeze on my credit reports while applying to so many jobs.

Providing my SSN over the phone/fax back in 2000 cost me 6-months of cleaning up my credit. I got out of service in 1999 and didnt know any better, and excited about getting a job.

Only provide your SSN during face-to-face interview when filling out the background check papers.

I found the job I'm on right now via jobing.com.
    518 wrote: »
    Providing my SSN over the phone/fax back in 2000 cost me 6-months of cleaning up my credit. I got out of service in 1999 and didnt know any better, and excited about getting a job.

Only provide your SSN during face-to-face interview when filling out the background check papers.

I found the job I'm on right now via jobing.com.

Sorry to hear that, I wouldn't wish this fate on anyone. I mentioned freezing my credit. Found instructions for doing that here How To Freeze Your Credit Report at Equifax Experian and TransUnion if anyone is interested.

Thanks for mentioning jobing.com!
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Colleges and Universities usually have a few IT postings that are worth applying to.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Sorry to hear that, I wouldn't wish this fate on anyone. I mentioned freezing my credit. Found instructions for doing that here How To Freeze Your Credit Report at Equifax Experian and TransUnion if anyone is interested.

Thanks for mentioning jobing.com!

What I was trying to say is...never ever give your SSN over the phone or fax. If you follow that rule, you wouldnt even have to freeze your credit.

I have subscribed to credit monitoring since that incident in year 2000.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most of the time if someone asks for a SSN in an application you shouldn't even bother appling. Of course there are a few rare exceptions that ask for it like hospitials and government jobs, but even then I still might steer away from it.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    Most of the time if someone asks for a SSN in an application you shouldn't even bother appling. Of course there are a few rare exceptions that ask for it like hospitials and government jobs, but even then I still might steer away from it.

Whether you're applying for cleared or uncleared position, background/credit check need an SSN.

I just remembered, the HR representative from my current company didnt ask for my SSN. However, I was asked to visit a third party company website and submit my personal info for background/credit check purposes [different from eQIP].

In 2000, there was no background nor credit check, just urine test... icon_lol.gif
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Dice.com is legit , I have been placed at my last two positions threw it
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    I've applied to 7 jobs so far, 93 to go. I'm on dice, careerbuilder, roberthalf, monster, indeed, and a few other specific company sites.

The challenge in this is not what I thought it would be. I thought it would be EASY to find at least 50 jobs to apply to. I've had to hunt for several hours after applying to the first 3!

I know the jobs are out there. Maybe it's the area. Maybe more time is required. This whole process would be easier if my fiance OK'd a move to Louisville, KY.

Mostly because of children we're limited to as far south as Madisonville/Owensboro Kentucky and as far north as Bloomington, IN. Evansville, In is being included in the search.

I was really expecting to see more desktop support/helpdesk type jobs out there. Those are the ones I feel most qualified for. I'm holding off on cold-calling/walk-ins to Microsoft and Cisco partners till late April.

What job titles do you guys use in your searches?
    11 job apps, 89 to go.

Been asking for around 38k...probably too much for a new grad but salary is negotiable, right?

I dont normally seach for job titles. I use the words based on my skills and/or certification. [in your case, CCNA. Or, NISPOM+8570]

Our job titles when I was with Lockheed Martin was unusual. Well, the job requisition is worded like "cmptr" as opposed to "computer." Something you may want to watch out for when searching jobs on indeed/simplyhired.

Weren't you an IAO in the Army? Perhaps you can use IAO or Information Assurance. If you are looking at desktop support, you may even use the keyword "comptia."

I also noticed that a few companies love using "engineer" for the job title when the skills they're looking for is just for a "support" or "administration" position.

Believe it or not, my formal title in our company record is "Database Analyst." My responsibilities [C&A] are nothing close to being a database analyst in my company icon_lol.gif
    Been asking for around 38k...probably too much for a new grad but salary is negotiable, right?

It looks like that's the average salary for a desktop support within your 25-mile radius. I'm assuming you have had offers, because you said "asking for around $38k."
  • BacsiloveBacsilove Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck mate! I hope you find a good job.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I've applied to 7 jobs so far, 93 to go. I'm on dice, careerbuilder, roberthalf, monster, indeed, and a few other specific company sites.

The challenge in this is not what I thought it would be. I thought it would be EASY to find at least 50 jobs to apply to. I've had to hunt for several hours after applying to the first 3!

I know the jobs are out there. Maybe it's the area. Maybe more time is required. This whole process would be easier if my fiance OK'd a move to Louisville, KY.

Mostly because of children we're limited to as far south as Madisonville/Owensboro Kentucky and as far north as Bloomington, IN. Evansville, In is being included in the search.

I was really expecting to see more desktop support/helpdesk type jobs out there. Those are the ones I feel most qualified for. I'm holding off on cold-calling/walk-ins to Microsoft and Cisco partners till late April.

I'm in the same region as you working currently near Evansville, IN.

Unfortunately, supports jobs openings aren't very common area here and the starting pay is usually low around 30k but I think you can achieve closer to 40k with your qualifications. Just keep at it and I'm sure you will find something.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
    14 job applications so far.

First phone interview today for a job in Evansville, IN. Really nice guy, but I had to turn this one down. Maximum pay was $12/hour. I'm shooting for $16/hour.

I think out of 100 job applications I can ask for more than $12/hour.
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□

I noticed you went to Cochise College, I'm assuming you were in or around the Sierra Vista area. With your military record you should be able to find something easier than most.
    I noticed you went to Cochise College, I'm assuming you were in or around the Sierra Vista area. With your military record you should be able to find something easier than most.

I remember hearing this many times, but veteran status is not something that has helped in the past. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and I don't expect preferential treatment (although it would be nice)....it just hasn't done much for me to date.

Maybe a military record helps those who have helped themselves. Hard to hire someone without the right qualifications :D

Sierra Vista is BEAUTIFUL! I'll never forget it.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

Military preference means crap now a days. It hasn't even helped me get a federal job over the past 8yrs.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    I remember hearing this many times, but veteran status is not something that has helped in the past.

this.

phantasm wrote: »
    Military preference means crap now a days. It hasn't even helped me get a federal job over the past 8yrs.

and this.

The only time Military background has helped is for cleared position. Other than that, what Military preference?!

ehnde, I hope you find a better offer than $12/hr.