Options

Passed 70-680 today. Some observations...

eddiec312eddiec312 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, this is my third certification after A+ and Network+. I took the 70-680 today and I passed with a 754/900. I'm glad I passed but I am not satisfied with the score I got after the amount of studying I did, I'll take it for now though lol. My testing center had problems with my report on what percentages I scored on what so I don't have that to share with you guys. I will however share some observations with the test from a Prometric testing center.

Firstly, this is what I used to study:

Watched Train Signal and CBT nuggets videos
Read the MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7 book.
Practice questions from Transcender and Windows 8 new features, Windows 7 tools, Exam 70-642, Exam 70-680 practice tests, no brain ****
Hands on experience since it's installed on my personal PC (Win7 ultimate)

Ok, lets start with the videos. I highly recommend watching either one of them, both if you can. In my opinion both have their pros and cons. If you were to choose one, I would say go with Train signal on this one. Here are some examples. Pro about CBT nuggets was that the instructor goes pretty specific into things like a creation of a vdisk file using WinPE and deploying it using imagex while Train signal only mentioned this briefly. Train signal on the other hand was very good overall explaining every topic and the best part about them are the NOTES that are given. I was not a fan of the white board scribble notes of the cbt nuggets videos.

The MCTS book was helpful as well but In my opinion I got more out of the videos than the book. I'm a visual learner myself. Practice questions were very helpful also. Here's the thing, Transcender/Selftest/Kaplan questions are twice as hard as the ones in the test. However, I still highly recommend them because even though they are harder, they will test you in very granular and specific things the videos just briefly mention. Here's an example, the transcender had a question that asked what Audit GPO would you use when to see if someone accessed the registry. I had no clue but after reading the explanations it was the "Audit Object access." [MODERATED]

I would also recommend the Windows 8 new features, Windows 7 tools, Exam 70-642, Exam 70-680 practice tests, no brain **** practice questions. I found these really helpful as well and the best part is that you can do them on the go. I just would browse to the website on my iphone on downtime at work and do questions. The only downside to these questions is that they don't have explanations and there are very minor errors I found.

The most important thing I recommend though is get hands on with Windows 7 Ultimate if possible. Use it, and mess around with it. Also study on command line switches. For instance, the DISM switches are a must. [MODERATED] Hope this helps.

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass! You should modify your post, as you are violating the NDA by posting a question and answer to an exam.
  • Options
    eddiec312eddiec312 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I apologize for that, I didn't know I couldn't do that. I would edit it right now but apparently I can't from my iPhone. I will edit the post as soon as I get to a pc.
  • Options
    KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Indeed congrats on your score. While I scored low also after all my study I still passed and a pass is a pass. If someone says oh you scored low and disrespects you because of that they are just a moron. Thanks for the information always helpful to see what other thought of the test.
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680