Options

Anyone done the 70-638 (OCS) exam?

pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
I plan to take the exchange 2010 exam soon, just looking into the unified messaging exam next. As work will be upgrading to ex2010 this year, no doubt they will want the extra goodies that come from Unified Messaging.

If anyone has taken the exam, what hardware is required for some home study?icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I believe one of our members, royal, has. But he doesnt post often. Hopefully this thread will catch his attention.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks essendon, btw why arent you out working in your garden :P
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    647 on Thursday, need to get my act together and knock this sucker dead! The garden can wait...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unified Messaging is a Server Role for Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010. OCS is a completely separate product that does not make up Unified Messaging. Perhaps you are getting Unified Messaging and Unified Communications confused. Again, Unified Messaging is an Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 Server Role that provides Voice Mail to PBX Systems. OCS and Lync provide a function called Enterprise Voice which provides Telephony capabilities and utilizes the Exchange Unified Messaging Server Role for voicemail. OCS provides IM, Presence, Audio, Video, Conferencing, and Telephony.

The idea of all these different types of modalities being brought to together in the hands of a user and many of which can be provided in a single client is what Unified Communications is.

As far as hardware required, probably 4GB of memory and 2-3 VMs. The exam (been a long time since I took it) focused mostly on the Front End Server and the Edge Server. I can't remember if it had much on the other roles but like I said, it's been a long time. The Edge may be too difficult to VM out due to its NIC requirements.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks