what happen when a RSTP edge port receive BPDUs?

szokpszokp Banned Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
what happen when a RSTP edge port receive BPDUs?

Comments

• tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shutdown because bpdu guard is enabled with portfast (Edge) by default
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    I think you should maybe lab this up. I'm pretty sure it doesn't error disable but just transitions to the normal port role.
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    billyr wrote: »
    I think you should maybe lab this up. I'm pretty sure it doesn't error disable but just transitions to the normal port role.

According to this, you are right. Sorry!
    I thought you would get the same behavior than 802.1D

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/84416
  • szokpszokp Banned Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    billyr wrote: »

what else action will the SW do besides turning the port to normal STP port ? sending BPDU with TC bit set ?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    szokp wrote: »
    what else action will the SW do besides turning the port to normal STP port ? sending BPDU with TC bit set ?

What do you think happens, and why?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    chmorin wrote: »
    What do you think happens, and why?

when BPDU received form edge port, it means that the port connect a SW other than a host, the STP topology has changed actually,so TCN should be sent to notify other SW and root bridge to respond for that change。
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    szokp wrote: »
    when BPDU received form edge port, it means that the port connect a SW other than a host, the STP topology has changed actually,so TCN should be sent to notify other SW and root bridge to respond for that change。

With RSTP, when a BPDU is received on an edge port.... the port loses edge port status and thus becomes a normal port in the spanning-tree topology going through the Discarding -> Learning -> Forwarding stages.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    APA wrote: »
    With RSTP, when a BPDU is received on an edge port.... the port loses edge port status and thus becomes a normal port in the spanning-tree topology going through the Discarding -> Learning -> Forwarding stages.

according to this ,Not until the edge port finally turn into forwarding state, the TCN will be sent?
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    That should be it, as TCNs in RSTP shouldn't be sent until it reaches the forwarding state.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Spot on..... TCN only gets sent when the topology has converged.... thus meaning the port must be in forwarding state for a TCN to be sent.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP