Might add some new equipment to the home lab

millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
So my work is getting rid of some 3620's and 3640's.

I'm thinking about making an addition to my home lab, but not sure if it will be any help.

The 3640's can run as MPLS P routers which is nice, but you don't get any of the ZBF functionality.

The 3620's can't run MPLS at all, and while they can do IPv6, they don't do OSPFv3, or ZBF. So whats everyones thoughts. Worth while additions or just forget about em?

I am adding a 3560 48 port POE switch to my stack which will put me at 3 3750 48 port POEs and 1 more 3560 POE. So I am now good on switches.
Currently Reading:
CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide

Comments

• BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    millworx wrote: »
    So my work is getting rid of some 3620's and 3640's.

I'm thinking about making an addition to my home lab, but not sure if it will be any help.

The 3640's can run as MPLS P routers which is nice, but you don't get any of the ZBF functionality.

The 3620's can't run MPLS at all, and while they can do IPv6, they don't do OSPFv3, or ZBF. So whats everyones thoughts. Worth while additions or just forget about em?

I am adding a 3560 48 port POE switch to my stack which will put me at 3 3750 48 port POEs and 1 more 3560 POE. So I am now good on switches.

I say add those 3620's to my lab hehe just kidding...

Nice lab you got going in there Mill, you got those stacked?
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    I say add those 3620's to my lab hehe just kidding...

Nice lab you got going in there Mill, you got those stacked?

Not at the moment, I don't have the cables, and there are no spares around so I'll have to order some.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    millworx wrote: »
    Not at the moment, I don't have the cables, and there are no spares around so I'll have to order some.

I just added a Cisco 881W if you recall I was singing a song with that 871W of yours that was tossed in the trashcan lol, apparently good to just have exposure with LWAPP/Autonomous AP, how's the 6500 chasis hunting going?
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    3620's don't support anything higher than 12.3 so they're kinda worthless. Honestly I'd scrap the lot of it. Find equipment that's going to cover all the topics you need them to cover if you're going to pay to power them at home IMHO. Yes I know it's hard to beat free, but then again you have to pay the power bill so it's not really free. ;)