More Money or More Tech??

pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
I'm currently a system engineer for a small import/export company, that's also in the managed service business. I manage about 6 servers internally, and our client's network as well.

I was recently offered a Network Admin position for a pretty well known company. I would be supporting 30+ servers, including Exchange, SCCM, SCOM, Hyper-Vs, Cisco CallManager. ALthough the position will be focused on Microsoft's side of things, I can expand into the Cisco side if I wanted to.

Now, the hard part. The new job is a pay increase from the old job, however, my current employer made a counter-offer of 10k more than what the new job is offering. I've been thinking about this all weekend and still can't decide what I want to do. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Comments

• powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My policy has always been to reject counter offers, always. That being said, I did it once because I really wanted to stay at my current job and it was only about money; I worked there for another year and a half.

I am not sure what kind of increase the new company offered to you, but I would have to think that the combination of the two ups in salary would be substantial. Why would your current company make that offer to you now? Why weren't they paying you more already?

You know your situation better than anyone else, but apparently you were satisfied with the offer that your potential employer offered to you. In your long-term career, a position with more responsibilities will likely yield you more money over time.

If you are concerned about leaving money on the table, consider bring it up with the potential employer... see if you can get more money out of them.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Why weren't they paying you more already?

You know your situation better than anyone else, but apparently you were satisfied with the offer that your potential employer offered to you. In your long-term career, a position with more responsibilities will likely yield you more money over time.

If you are concerned about leaving money on the table, consider bring it up with the potential employer... see if you can get more money out of them.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I will also second the notion that more skills and more responsibilities will lead to more money and marketability overall.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Would the salary with the new employer allow you to be financially stable? If so I would say look at the long term growth of the new position compared to where you are currently at. If the new position helps you advance your career better than your current, then you may make less initially but it will likely pay dividends later down the road.

Its also worth taking things like benefits, stress, and the overall work environment into account.

Money should not be the determining factor for a position change unless of course you are unable to support yourself at the current salary.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Go with the new job with a smile on your face. I have seen too many people who accept a counter offer to be out of a job soon afterwards. Move on and dont look back.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I'm currently a system engineer for a small import/export company, that's also in the managed service business. I manage about 6 servers internally, and our client's network as well.

I was recently offered a Network Admin position for a pretty well known company. I would be supporting 30+ servers, including Exchange, SCCM, SCOM, Hyper-Vs, Cisco CallManager. ALthough the position will be focused on Microsoft's side of things, I can expand into the Cisco side if I wanted to.

Now, the hard part. The new job is a pay increase from the old job, however, my current employer made a counter-offer of 10k more than what the new job is offering. I've been thinking about this all weekend and still can't decide what I want to do. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Counter-offer is the kiss of death. Go with the one with potential to earn you even more in the long run.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Go with the new job with a smile on your face. I have seen too many people who accept a counter offer to be out of a job soon afterwards. Move on and dont look back.

+1.

The second you made up your mind to leave was when you handed in your notice.

If you (OP) made up your mind to go, then enjoy the new adventure. Counter offers are made, typically, because companies/employers hate when good employees leave on their terms. If they were going to give you the raise you were looking for, they'd have done it long before you were looking. Otherwise, you leave yourself open to potential layoffs when the time comes.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Counter offers are like getting your girlfriend's name tattooed on your body. It is a curse leading to break up eventually.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    The offer from the new company is a substantial increase in pay from what I'm currently making, so I would be fine (financially) working for them. Actually, I'm fine making what I make now.

Thanks for all the advice...I was also worried that the counter-offer was only made so that there's someone around while they go looking for a different admin.

The sensible side of me knew that working for the new company would be better in the long term, but the counter-offer was just too much money not to give it any thoughts. I'll decline the offer and go with the new company. It may sound a little corny, but in the end, I think I'd rather take less money and enjoy the work I do. Thanks again for all the advice.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    powerfool wrote: »
    My policy has always been to reject counter offers, always. That being said, I did it once because I really wanted to stay at my current job and it was only about money; I worked there for another year and a half.

I am not sure what kind of increase the new company offered to you, but I would have to think that the combination of the two ups in salary would be substantial. Why would your current company make that offer to you now? Why weren't they paying you more already?

+eleventybillion. Amicably split from your current company, and don't look back.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I was also worried that the counter-offer was only made so that there's someone around while they go looking for a different admin.
    A lot of the time that's exactly it.

Congratulation on the upgraded job!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    move. explain the counter offer but you see potential in the new gig
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would go with the new role if it has more potential career wise, then the improved pay increases should come hand in hand as you move up. If your unhappy now, its for a reason, and thats why you've obviously started to look elsewhere. Usually ive found once theres a major issue in your current place its pretty difficult to resolve and most people tend to end up moving on.

Good luck.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    +1 on the new gig
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I agree with never accepting a counter offer. Also don't try to use it to get the new place to bid up as that can very quickly lead to you losing out on the new job and be on the fast track to be replaced at the old job.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take the new job as is. The added responsibilities and skills you'll add will benefit you career-wise. Part amicably with your present company and good luck with the new gig.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I read something once that if you turn in your notice, and you receive a counter offer and accept it, it will still only be a matter of time before you leave. You already had it set in your mind you wanted to go, and the counter offer is/was just a temporary band-aid.

Thank them for the opportunity (your current employer), but go ahead and give your two weeks notice and leave on good terms.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I feel it is better to take up the new offer, counter offer seldom last long.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have to side with everyone saying to never accept counter offers. The way I see it, if a company really values you as a resource, they will do their part to keep you happy. Move on and never look back.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in a fairly similar situation. After losing the job I had for awhile I accepted a contract to hire position doing desktop support. I was making almost 2X my previous salary but it wasn't a job that would get me anywhere. I got a full time offer at a great employer for the same salary as the contract. The second I told them I was leaving I was offered a big bump from the contract but stood firm and am loving the new position.

On my last day my boss told me that the contract firm told him they were offering me more money to stay until they found my replacement even though I was told it was a raise to keep working there. Counter offers are very interesting political gambits.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com