Passed JNCIS-ENT

stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
I took it today, and passed with a fairly good score (85%). I used the FastTrack PDFs on the website, and a little labbing here and there to drill concepts in, but overall this exam was a lot more straight forward than I expected.

I would say that if you have a CCNP, a lot of the knowledge transfers over quite well, you don't need to start from scratch with OSPF, BGP, IS-IS (if you did BSCI), STP, VRRP and the like, so it makes it more a language/syntax learning than theory learning.

The PDFs would definitely get you through the exams even without the CCNP, but it meant I didn't have to spend 2 months studying intensely to get it, more like 2-3 weeks of studying the difference in commands mostly.
Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Congrats
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • csnowcsnow Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    I used the FastTrack PDFs on the website,

Do you have a link for these PDFs?
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Go here: https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_fasttrack_home.aspx

It will be under the review study resources link, which you will need to create an account to access.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Oh, and congrats Stuh on passing this exam. I think I may take this and/or the JNCIS SP exam soon as well.

Unfortunately we run a lot of M series routers but I have no experience on the ex switching side of junipers so I may have to look into some rack rental for this which is expensive.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Oh, and congrats Stuh on passing this exam. I think I may take this and/or the JNCIS SP exam soon as well.

Unfortunately we run a lot of M series routers but I have no experience on the ex switching side of junipers so I may have to look into some rack rental for this which is expensive.

Ryan, I had no EX experience either, and still don't. The exam is still very passable without. A lot transfers over the CCNP, as the theory is the same, its just a few different terminology differences (RootGuard becomes Root Protection and the like).

The only bit which is completely new is Virtual Chassis, which to the level they go, its fairly easy to just learn it enough to get through.

I'm pretty confident if an EX switch was put in front of me now I could get up and running fairly easily.

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats stu. Nice one.

When you say studying intensley, how many hours a day were you doing roughly? I really need to bang out the Junos exam and have been told i need to look into the IS-ENT, but i have no access to EX switches and i refuse to buy them 2nd hand at the cost they go for. But its given me some comfort it will be doable without access to Ex's
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    The JNCIA-JUNOS took longer as it was mostly brand new (I had done some BGP and OSPF config and configured interfaces, but a lot of the logging and extra services I'd never done anything with). I also did the older version which included a 400 page troubleshooting PDF and an 85% passing mark, which has been significantly reduced now. Plus, given most of my learning/labbing came from Olives, anything based around the hardware (especially show chassis commands) were memory alone.

The JUNOS took me a good month or two of fairly heavy studying, whereas the JNCIS-ENT I did in the space of two weeks with only about maybe 2 or 3 days of that intensive studying, the rest just picking up bits here or there.

Bear in mind I had already configured OSPF, BGP, IS-IS and had made some attempts at VRRP before (VRRP doesn't work in the Olives I have, some issue with multicasting I expect), so a lot of the configuration was not new.

As I say, the theory from the CCNP carries over, no need to relearn OSPF LSAs and what stub areas, ASBRs/ABRs are and the like, no need to learn about the different IS-IS levels, no need to start from scratch on Spanning Tree. For me all but the parts on Virtual Chassis and Redundancy (GRES, NSR etc) were just a syntax learning exercise, so if you already have the theory behind you it should be quite easy to knock out.

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info mate. Sounds like i should crack out Junos and then finish ROUTE first to make it an easier transition maybe.

I have to say im really starting to like Juniper Kit. You can get some great kit for awesome prices compared to some cisco equivalents.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    Yeah I'd say thats the best idea, Route will help hugely with the ENT. The JUNOS one should be okay though