Options

Should I take the Network+?

Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I had spent so much time studying to take the Network+ and well, time slipped by and it's time for me to start my CCNA courses that I enrolled in around middle of last year. In three weeks I'll be looking to test for my CCENT and then the CCNA about three weeks after that. It's hardcore studying with videos, labs, book reading, and the works over that time period so that raises the question.

I'm pretty much as prepared as I'll ever be for the Network+, and it's a good thing I did all that work (especially over the past couple of weeks) studying for it because now it makes the CCENT look like a piece of cake.. it's basically the Network+ matieral wrapped up with a Cisco logo... So the question begs...

Should I still take the Network+ or just get the CCNA and call it a day. Realistically I'd have the Network+ and never really showcase it since the CCNA would be a step up from there. Keep in mind here that I'm actually not going to be paying to take the exam as well... trust me, if it was about whether or not I should pay for it, I'd choose not to, but just for arguments sake, is there anything to gain by taking it when I've got the CCENT literally weeks away and the CCNA no more than 6 to 8 weeks away.
-Michael Palmer
WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think the CCNA is way more than a step up than the Network+ but the Network+ does cover material that isn't covered in the CCNA. I suggest getting the Network+ just because some places still require it for a certification even though it's rare.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    If it was me, having spent all that time studying for Net+. If you feel you can walk into the exam and ace it. Then it certainly won't hurt to have N+ as well. But if you don't feel it's worth much over Cisco then you could skip it. For N+ I ended up with 94% by reading just Mike Myers book and years of experience. I'm still glad I attained it. I wouldn't get lured into a false sense of security. That by having N+, CCENT/CCNA will be a breeze.

I've found myself investing a lot more into CCNA between multiple study material, software, home lab hardware etc. It may seem easy & similar at first. Once you get sucked in, you may feel different. Many re-certifying CCNA's are surprised by how difficult the new scope is. While it is possible to get CCNA within 5-8 weeks, very few seem to do it that quick. Of course depending on experience & networking background YMMV.

Good luck with your decision :)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    I'm with you on the Network+, I basically just watched the Mike Meyer's LearnKey vids and read the book. His teaching is pretty solid so that's why I've got a pretty good idea I'd ace the N+.

I'm not saying the CCNA itself will be a piece of cake, just the CCENT test (I'm doing the two test path to the CCNA instead of the one test path). The CCENT material from the Cisco Press book I've got looks identical to the Network+ with the only exception being that the CCENT covers the Cisco diagram where the Network+ didn't. I already know the OSI and TCP/IP models, subnetting, application ports, WAN protocols, etc. from studying for the N+, and that's about what the CCENT covers.

Thanks for the advise, I figured people would say "If it's not gonna cost you anything, then why not?" I guess I was just looking for a good excuse not to take the lunch time from work to drive across Raleigh and test. I'll probably review some stuff tonight and test tomorrow.
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Yeah to me Myer's is the man. I went through A+ and Net+ with only his books. I hear what your saying about CCENT, I wouldn't underestimate it that's all :) The biggest thing is know the concepts down cold. For sub-netting: aim to get the answer within ideally 15-20 seconds or less & you should be fine. For simulations: no more than 10 minutes on them finished or not. Manage time carefully, those are the main cisco exam tips. I'm also probably going to take the two exams too, though haven't fully decided. Getting close to booking CCENT if I go that route.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I would disagree, and encourage you to not get the Net+.

It is rather expensive for what it is. You know the material, and can demonstrate the knowledge to an employer. Your Microsoft and soon to be Cisco certs will also demonstrate the basic networking concepts just as well. All CompTIA certs now expire, and in the 3 years will hopefully not be worth renewing as you'll be in a position far past that.

Unless you'll realize some immediate value from it ($250 worth?), like as jamesleecoleman says, and you land a job that requires it (which as he also says, is rare). I'm almost certain you'd see a much better return from investing the voucher costs in more study materials/future endeavors.

Edit - Totally didn't see that you wouldn't be paying for the exam. I guess then, as you say, why not may as well. Although one could argue the time you spend driving and sitting in the testing center would be better used labbing...or even watching an episode of Jerry Springer...in which case I'd probably agree :)
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello Michael

IMHO you should take Network+. Topics that covered in Network+ exam go along with topics covered at CCNA, if not overlap it.

good luck
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So, I had spent so much time studying to take the Network+ and well, time slipped by and it's time for me to start my CCNA courses that I enrolled in around middle of last year. In three weeks I'll be looking to test for my CCENT and then the CCNA about three weeks after that. It's hardcore studying with videos, labs, book reading, and the works over that time period so that raises the question.

I'm pretty much as prepared as I'll ever be for the Network+, and it's a good thing I did all that work (especially over the past couple of weeks) studying for it because now it makes the CCENT look like a piece of cake.. it's basically the Network+ matieral wrapped up with a Cisco logo... So the question begs...

never really showcase it since the CCNA would be a step up from there. KeShould I still take the Network+ or just get the CCNA and call it a day. Realistically I'd have the Network+ andep in mind here that I'm actually not going to be paying to take the exam as well... trust me, if it was about whether or not I should pay for it, I'd choose not to, but just for arguments sake, is there anything to gain by taking it when I've got the CCENT literally weeks away and the CCNA no more than 6 to 8 weeks away.

Take the knowledge you gained from studying for the Network+ and pursue the CCNA path. Unless you work for the government, the Network+ is pretty much useless. I know that will offend people who are studying for it but it's the truth. I regret not putting all my time into the CCNA instead of the Network+.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would say just get your CCNA. The network+ is more expensive than the CCNA and the CCNA is a better cert in my opinion. It shows a better grasp of network technologies and shows that you can also do basic work on cisco switches and routers.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Save your time you would spend taking the Net+ and crack open your CCNA book. The value of the Net+ isn't very high especially in comparison to the CCNA. Just my opinion.
    I have the Net+ and have never had it noticed by any of my interviewers. You've got the knowledge to pass the Net+ and that's what really matters.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Well funny enough I took my lunch break to head to the testing facility today and test, passed the test in about 40 minutes. Figured why not since I wasn't paying for it and I'm already spending plenty of time studying for the CCNA.
    -Michael Palmer
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well funny enough I took my lunch break to head to the testing facility today and test, passed the test in about 40 minutes. Figured why not since I wasn't paying for it and I'm already spending plenty of time studying for the CCNA.

Huh, I didn't realize it...

Congratz on the pass and good luck with the CCNA.
  • Options
    SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pardon me for being skeptical , but I took the Network+ exam and you have to schedule the test ahead of time. They tell you to get there 20 minutes early and to schedule at least two hours to take the test. When I took the test, I used every last minute to review all the questions. The fact that you state you casually went and took the exam on your lunch break and passed it in 40 minutes reeks of BS.

I've been reading through the forums and I've seen several annoying, bragging type posts of the "I just read a book over the weekend and took the test and passed" variety, but this one absolutely takes the cake.

Oh, I've been studying the Cisco CCENT as well. My study book has 17 chapters. Of the 17, I'd say that five cover material covered in the Network+. If you think it's going to be an easy exam, all I can say is good luck. Several people from my class have already attempted the Cisco exam and failed more than once. No doubt you'll be able to squeeze it in between your errands and knock it out in half an hour.
  • Options
    Well you're entitled to your opinion and truth be told I'd be skeptical too. I didn't just read the book over a weekend and test nor did I just schedule it the day I took it. I test at the school I take my classes at as they're also a projector test site. I also didn't just stdy for a weekend. I had a couple of weeks of class late last year and read the book then. Barter that I used onlineexpert.com for their e-learning videos with mike meyers and also for their section by section reviews for the exam. I did most of that about three weeks ago. All of this study material was provided by the school that I paid a **** load to including the exam a retake if need be. It was a combination of months of work studying that got me through the test quickly, so you can speculate if you want but it doesn't change the fact that I still passed.
    -Michael Palmer
  • Options
    moviewithnotitlemoviewithnotitle Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey all, resurrecting an old thread...but I'm new here.

I took my net+ a few years back. I am now going for my CCNA and having the previous cert has helped so much that I was able to jump right to the cicso focused material. I have studied again all of the basics but it was mostly refresher and reminded me of the core networking stuff. IMO it doesn't hurt if ur willing to take but. For me it's really giving me a broader knowledge set and only helps my current job.