What is the expected job outlook profile for the IT field?

SPL TechSPL Tech Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently work as an Information Systems Technician for the United States Navy. I will be separating from the service soon and I will peruse a bachelor’s degree as soon as I leave the service. The question, do I stay in the IT field? I am considering getting a BS in IT security as I feel that would best couple with my current experience (TS/SCI clearance, Navy fleet communications experience, ect.).

Currently I am under the impression that the IT field is pretty open, after all if you type "top 10 jobs with the best outlook" into Google, IT and RN make the list most of the time. But is that still true? The "state of the IT field" sticky makes things look grim, but it’s also seven years old, so I will ignore it for the moment and ask here.

Also, of the various specific job markets in the IT field, which is probably the best to choose? I am kind of torn between a BS in network admin and security. I have no interest in programming, or Internet application work, I enjoy moving around and working with my hands, I don’t want to sit at a workstation all day and read endless amounts of HTML or Java.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SPL Tech wrote: »
    TS/SCI clearance
    If you have skills and don't mind working for government/defense contractors your clearance makes you golden.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SPL TechSPL Tech Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you have skills and don't mind working for government/defense contractors your clearance makes you golden.

True, however all clearances expire no later than 24 months after your read out and a B.S. takes about 36 months to earn, so my clearance will be expired by then. But yes, I am interested in working for the US Government or a contractor, that’s my primary objective.
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226

The man speaks the truth.

Outside the government, it seems to be highly dependant on where you live. If you don't mind traveling, there is a ton of consulting work out there. I get calls several times a week from recruiters wanting me to go back on the road as a software packager.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    True, however all clearances expire no later than 24 months after your read out and a B.S. takes about 36 months to earn, so my clearance will be expired by then.
    Consider working and going to school.

Depending on what you plan to major in and career goals, and the school you're going to attend, your clearance is probably going to be worth more to your career working for government contractors than your education (unless you've been accepted to MIT or Cal Tech or Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc.).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    True, however all clearances expire no later than 24 months after your read out and a B.S. takes about 36 months to earn, so my clearance will be expired by then. But yes, I am interested in working for the US Government or a contractor, that’s my primary objective.

A B.S. from WGU could be earned a lot sooner then 36 months and the 24 months is only if you don't get it picked up by another job. I know of a few short term contracts that could keep it active (NMCI tech refresh is comming around).
  • wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jtoast wrote: »
    The man speaks the truth.

Outside the government, it seems to be highly dependant on where you live. If you don't mind traveling, there is a ton of consulting work out there. I get calls several times a week from recruiters wanting me to go back on the road as a software packager.

Absolutely right - I work in Florida on the networking side of things (as opposed to Sys Admin or Development) and there's tons of jobs down here for that (at least on the Provider side of things -- no clue how Enterprise is doing), but I have a friend in Pennsylvania who says there's virtually no jobs available in the same field where he lives. I get calls from recruiters every week out of the blue, but he has to essentially "knock on doors" and ask if companies are hiring. So again, it depends on what you want to do and where you are willing to go.
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    eansdad wrote: »
    A B.S. from WGU could be earned a lot sooner then 36 months...
    This is very true. I just got the diploma for my BS:IT in the mail yesterday and start to finish took me less than a year, although I did already have an AA degree.

There are also a lot of companies moving to windows 7/office 2010 which is opening a lot of doors right now.. I know we are struggling to find experienced people who know their way around ZTI/SCCM/etc.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The one thing I've noticed since I've been out is that employers love a military background. You could easily find a job with just that experience if you have a good head on your shoulders. I had no issue finding a job without a degree when I got out.

The only downside to that is that I've still not taken the time to get the degree because it hasn't been a necessity for me. Definitely try and take advantage of your benefits and work on that degree even if its only part time.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also, of the various specific job markets in the IT field, which is probably the best to choose?

A friend once gave me an interesting theory as to what equates to happiness on the job (happiness being equal to "best" per your question). It consists of being satisfied with at least three out of the following five things:
    How much you make.
    Potential for advancement.
    Your commute.
    Your boss.
    The people you work with and/or support.

This may not be true for everyone, but it gives you some criteria to think about.

I will also add that there are plenty of IT jobs available for smart people in the areas you listed. Network administration and security, in the broader sense, will have plenty of jobs and growth for years to come.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you hold a TS and have some experience you may want to go ahead and talk to some DoD contractors in your area. You could always do your BS/BA at night/on line and work during the day. That clearance is like gold.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The areas you mention are ripe for the picking right now. Get a clearance job so you don't lose your clearance and go to WGU or something comparable. WGU is a good education if you are willing to put in the work and self motivated.
    As already stated the clearance makes you golden so don't let it expire.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • SPL TechSPL Tech Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□

Depending on what you plan to major in and career goals, and the school you're going to attend, your clearance is probably going to be worth more to your career working for government contractors than your education (unless you've been accepted to MIT or Cal Tech or Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc.).
    Well I plan on majoring in Infomation Systems Secuirty. However thats a rather broad term, it could apply to many things. So what type of work would a person with a BS in IT security be preforming in the workcenter? Are we talking about network security, or coming through software coding trying to find exploits, or what?

This is what I am looking for in a job:

I don't want to do programing, its boring as hell. I would kill myself if I had to sit at the same computer all day looking at the same thing for the rest of my life.

I STRONGLY prefer shift work, my hobby's are very time consuming so it would be really nice if I could find something seasonal or something that runs in 12 hour shifts. I am actually considering being a RN just for the schedule, not minding that health care is of absolutely no interest to me.