Options

Review of Resume format

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
On my resume I am setup like the below. Ive been suing the four sections: Software Applications, Operating Systems, Networking\Protocols and Languages. I've had pretty good luck with it but I wanted some opinions. My work history does not start until page 2.

What do you think of the section break down? I'm thinking about getting rid of it and trying to focus those words within my job history but I've been told it is good because its a quick and easy place for HR to see keywords. Alot of the keywords are from job history I do not list because it was contract work, dated, from college etc.

NAME

Professional Summary
blah blah blah

Education
Degrees

CERTIFICATIONS & TECHNICAL EXPERTISE

ITIL Foundation V3
Microsoft Certified System Administrator 2003 (MCSA)
Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
CompTIA Certified Security+
CompTIA Certified Network+
CompTIA Certified Server+
CompTIA CDIA + ID

Software Applications
MS Office 95-2010, Veritas Backup Exec, Terminal Server, Citrix Management Console, Symantec Corporate Antivirus, Blackberry Enterprise Server, Microsoft Dynamics—Great Plains, CRM, Retail Store Management, SQL Server 2000-2008, Exchange 2003, I-manage DMS, Symantec Corporate Ghost Suite, Acronis True Image, Microsoft Office SharePoint Sever, VMware ESX 3.5, Remedy, Checkpoint VPN

Operating Systems
Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, Windows 7, Vista/XP/2000, Windows NT Server 4.0 & Workstation, Windows 95/98/3x, MS-DOS, Basic Unix operation, Basic AS400 operation

Networking / Protocols
Cisco routers (2500, 2600xm, 1850, 3640) and switches (1900, 2950, 2960), Sonicwall firewalls, VPN, RRAS, NAT, DHCP, DNS, Active Directory, IPv4, PPP, Frame Relay, ATM

Languages
Visual Basic 6, VB.net, SQL, FoxPro 2.6-6, C++, Java

PAGE

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't take a up a whole page without putting some of my job experience down.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mcse.cciemcse.ccie Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i know a recruiter at a big tech company and the way they look at it is, you list the things you thing are the most important first. long story short no one with certs before experience even gets a call back they say a certification is fine but not nearly as important as experience. Just fyi take it as you will.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    mcse.ccie wrote: »
    i know a recruiter at a big tech company and the way they look at it is, you list the things you thing are the most important first. long story short no one with certs before experience even gets a call back they say a certification is fine but not nearly as important as experience. Just fyi take it as you will.
    I've had a good amount of success doing certs/skills, then employment history, then education. Honestly though, I have a CCNP, but not a great amount of experience, so the certs/skills section may be my strongest point.

I do agree with your advice however. Lead with your strongest or the most relevant info. For most people, this will be experience.