Options

Resume Help

Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
So this is my first draft of my first Resume. I tried to keep in mind the tips ive read from other perons resume threads however i had some trouble trying to write one with this being my firs time. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
WGU BS IT - Security
Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
Completed: CUV1 CTV1
Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Can't quite tell, but the font looks a little big. I'd suggest switching to Arial sz 10.

It looks like you have a few points in your army job that could be listed as achievements. Create a subtitle Achivements under the bullet points and list the items that show your quantifiable contributions.
    • Install, operate, troubleshoot, and perform maintenance on all information processing systems within unit
    This could be expanded and divided. Perhaps mention technologies you've worked with. Employers want to see what you have experience with in a production environment.
    Associate in Science in Computer Systems Engineering Technology (In Progress)
    Either leave this off or include a completion date and put it at the bottom of the list. Either way, what is it? A degree, diploma, certificate? Maybe rewrite it; it looks like a fractured sentence with bad grammar.

The Education section in general looks messy and hard to read.. Always be wary of consistency with each line.
  • Options
    Il reword it and and a completion date. Its in AS in computer systems engineering technology. thats what the majors called. I acctually stole that wording off my colleges website believe it or not. The only problem with expanding on the technologies ive worked with is that im not allowe to disccus a good portion of them.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is that your only work experience? Also if you can't discuss technologies used do you have a security clearance?
    You have a good start with this resume but it needs some work still.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Unfortuntaly its my only it experience so far although i plan on interning/voulenterring to gain my experience. And yes i have a secret clearance.
    WGU BS IT - Security
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Il reword it and and a completion date. Its in AS in computer systems engineering technology. thats what the majors called. I acctually stole that wording off my colleges website believe it or not. The only problem with expanding on the technologies ive worked with is that im not allowe to disccus a good portion of them.

I was thinking about Microsoft, Cisco, Linux gear; surely you can mention those things, can't you? You have a lot of it listed in your Skillset area but it needs to be in the work history section.
    Education:

Associate in Science in Computer Systems Engineering Technology (In Progress)
    Springfield Technical Community College, 2009-Present

Systems Operator-Analyst School
    Fort Gordon, Georgia. 2008-2009

• Completed Information Systems Operator-Analyst School at Fort Gordon for Advanced Individual Training for MA Army National Guard.

Did you receive a certificate from Fort Gordon? Here, you have the school listed but not the education that you received from it. I don't really understand what the third line is, but remove the bullet or have them all as bullets. Nothing bolded either.

Ok, so it's an Associate Science in Computer Systems Engineering Technology. Just a typo to fix then.
    • Configure Cisco router with basic router settings, routing protocols and perform InterVLAN routing and configure ACLs.
    • Configure Cisco switch with basic switch settings, VLAN settings, trunking, and Spanning Tree Protocol settings

I would probably write these as:
    Experience in Cisco router / switch configuration, including routing protocols, trunking, VLANs and STP.