Profiles not loading, please help.

i havent done much permission stuff in years. we are having a problem with some users getting an error that their profile wont load. the permissions are all screwed up here. whats a quick fix for this? rt clicking the profile folder and adding domain users with full permission and propagate to child objects? we just need to get through the week b/c we are wiping everything over the weekend.

Comments

• gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    How did this happen?

Depending on the problem, local admin rights should do the trick, or you can re point the profiles in the registry if they are really screwed.

hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\current version\profilelist

The profile by default should have local administrators, system, and the domain user account of whoever the profile belongs to in the ACL.

HTH
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    i removed the acct of the former IT company from years ago. then half the profiles blew up. how about if i went back to the root folder and checked the "propagate" box. would that reset things?

right now, i have it exactly like this, but its not working b/c it was never set up right.

Security Recommendations for Roaming User Profiles Shared Folders: Group Policy

the ones that are working, when i click on them it says i dont have permissions to view. even though i am in the domain admin group.
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    You'll need to take ownership of the folders and sub folders, might as well go from docs and settings under the folder properties goto advanced and then the owner tab, click on a user account or group (best to be domain admins) and then check the replace owner on sub container then click ok, do a bit of progress bar engineering and you should now have access to whatever you want.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
    its weird b/c some people can get profiles off one particular term server, but not the other. permissions are the same on both.
    dales wrote: »
    You'll need to take ownership of the folders and sub folders, might as well go from docs and settings under the folder properties goto advanced and then the owner tab, click on a user account or group (best to be domain admins) and then check the replace owner on sub container then click ok, do a bit of progress bar engineering and you should now have access to whatever you want.

i did that with a bunch of them and now their profiles wont load.
    now for some reason when i try to use tsadmin, i get a message i am not authorized on that server. this is all new.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've seen this on my personal laptop once. I was able to restart and everything came back (I suspected a failing HDD).

But we also see this once every couple reasons, not sure why exactly. Every so often someone will boot up and windows will build them a new profile because the old one couldn't be and they call into our help desk about icons on their desktop being missing. It is a pretty quick fix to restore the documents from the old profile over to the new one, but I'm not sure why it is happening in the first place.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    tdean wrote: »
    i removed the acct of the former IT company from years ago.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you were referring to roaming profiles.

Take a look at subinacl to re-drill permissions back through profiles, make sure you only test it on one profile at a time until you get it working. You will need to make sure that the individual domain accounts of the people who own these profiles is also listed on the ACL.

Also check permissions all the way through the folder structure to where your profiles are located. Use effective permissions on ntuser.dat to see if the domain user account has full control.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa