TCP/IP network transport is not installed

bb_egbb_eg Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been having problems with McAfee VirusScan, receiving lots of error messaging saying some files were corrupted etc.. Anyway, contacted the McAfee Technical support and they concluded that some files were left behind when it’s installed and this caused some other files to be corrupted so they advised me to manually uninstall Virusscan from the PC. After I successfully uninstalled it and rebooted the PC, this message came up

“The TCP/IP Network Transport is not installed” and although I can connect to the internet I cannot see any webpages or send/receive e-mails now…I reckon uninstalling Virusscan deleted some files or something. I’ve just contacted the McAfee help again but they say it’s got nothing to do with them which makes me angry as this has happened immediately after the reboot so it’s got to be related to virusscan but they’re not willing to help. So could you please tell me what I can do?

Comments

• EnforcerEnforcer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't say what OS you are using.

However I would uninstall TCP/IP and then reinstall, this should replace any missing/corrupted files
    Mission statement : To change and deviate from the subject at the earliest opportunity.
  • mk_betmk_bet Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a computer that is having this same problem. It is a Dell running Windows XP Pro. Other than formatting and reinstalling is there an other fix? This happened after installing a Cisco VPN Client and then uninstalling it. This computer uses a cable modem to access the internet. Which now doesn't work. Thanks for any help.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow guys - TCP/IP reinstall should be almost second nature.
    An easy way to sort this is to right click My Computer and go to properties. Enter hardware / device manager. Delete the entry for the modem or network card and reboot the machine. Do a reinstall as directed and you should be sorted.

However, I would suggest you check something first. Check that the TCP/IP settings for your connection has not been changed to manual settings by your application - this does happen where AntiVirus has additional features like spam guard and popup stopping, and is also common with some VPN setups.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • mk_betmk_bet Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I should of stated what I have done already. I have gone into the properties of the NIC and unchecked TCP/IP, Rebooted and then put TCP/IP back. This did not correct the problem. The uninstall button for TCP/IP is grayed out so I can not just uninstall and reinstall. To remove the entire network connection is something that I have not tried. Is doing that any different than just removing the TCP/IP protocal and putting it back? Thanks again.
    Possibly the reason for TCP/IP being greyed out is that you have unchecked the properties. That usually means that you would then be using dynamic addressing rather than static. Like I said - best bet is to remove the NIC or Modem and reinstall from scratch. This usually ensures a clean install.
    www.supercross.com
  • jkhnwspecjkhnwspec Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I realize this a bit late, but you can save it for future reference. Take a look at this for reinstalling the TCP/IP stack in Windows XP.

http://www.jsifaq.com/subj/tip4700/rh4785.htm :D
  • seblsebl Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The link you post doesn't correct the problem. That's true, that is reseting the parameters but not repairing the files/parameters.

Did you succeed in solving the problem.. and how ?
    I am having the same issue.
  • robrigrobrig Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am having the same problem Mobile Device properties The tcp/ip network trnasport is not installed

windows me celeron 400/196
    any resolution
  • trick000trick000 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    one solution to the mcafee problem is not to use mcafee AV. They have been known to corrupt files from other programs. Uninstall and get AVG. It's free and probably uses less resources.

http://reviews.cnet.com/McAfee_VirusScan_Home_Edition_7_0/4852-3514_7-20288840.html?tag=subnav
  • julianopjulianop Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know if this is old news now, but in my Internet browsing for a cure, I found this plea for help, along with many others. I also found a cure, which I'll copy here, just to increase the chances that some other pure desperate victim like me will find it.

This works for Win2000 and XP, and probably for Win98 too.

1) Uninstall the TCP/IP protocol as best you can. If you get grumbles about it being needed for TCP/IP basic services and Unix print services, both of those can be uninstalled from the Windows components section of the add/remove software utility.

2) Using RegEdit, back up and then remove the following keys:-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

3) Reboot

4) Reinstall the TCP/IP protocol in the usual way.

5) Destroy your McAfee Internet Security 5 and/or VirusScan 7 CD, because it only has to catch a glimpse of your computer for it to trash it!

OK, I exaggerated a little in #5, but I've just watch the sun coming up for the second day in a row trying to fix this blasted problem, and Winmsd and RegEdit clearly showed that McAfee was to blame.

On my Win98 machine, McAfee didn't properly uninstall VirusScan 6, so after I installed VS 7, every time I quit Eudora, my system crashed to the "Eudora has performed an illegal operation", which, in the details, can bee seen to be Kernel32.dll. Click "OK", and you get the same error. Because it's a modal dialog, you get get past it to shut down. I got sick of seeing scandisk yesterday!

On my Win2000 machine, I lost access to the Internet, just like robrig, etc.

I'm using Norton for Antivirus now, because McAfee's tech support stinks, their website smacks you with pop-ups just to induce you to buy their pop-up eliminator (how ethical is that?), and their uninstaller can't clean up its own ....er, um ... "litter" icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

Jules.
  • bitstreambitstream Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had a similar problem using windows 98 se. The communications protocols had become corrupted. Solution go to control panel, add/remove programs , remove communications, the lot, also go to network and delete all your network options and re-install all your comms and network protocols, make sure you have all your dial up stuff if you are using dial up.
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Sorry to tell you but in my past experiences Norton is not much better and has caused me to reinstall a couple machines upon having to format them due "Norton Problems". I second going with AVG and have never had any problem with it on any machine that is running it.

Just my 2 cents......
  • happy100happy100 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK, software is not my thing, I admit it.
    I am having the network transport message as well, both when I reboot, and when I try to active sync my pocket PC.
    I have a Windows 98 system. How do I get to the TCP/IP to uninstall/reinstall, or just check or uncheck its properties.
    I can get to both email and the web, so is the TCP/IP really not installed?
  • x9sim9x9sim9 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If any of you are still stuck there are some other solutions, none of the above worked for me.

The way i fixed mine was exporting healthy winsock registry keys from another copy of windows xp, and importing them into my less than healthy copy.

If your stooopid enuf to only have one version of XP then email me and i will send u the registry keys.
  • Satori1Satori1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, all..

I've noticed in the last 1-2 days of searching the net with regards to this issue that its been a few months old. I recently encountered this exact same issue.

"Error 10106"
    "Mobile Device Properties: The TCP/IP Network Transport is not installed."
    icon_confused.gif:

I am using Windows XP.
    I am connected going through Broadband using a Router.
    I also have a Pocket PC which is unable to synchronize.

I uninstalled McAfee's Virus and Firewall software. MUCH now to my regret with this recent error that I cannot seem to get rid of. It wreaks of a virus. I definitely will not use McAfee's software again.

I've tried the various aforementioned fix's with no success.
    Attempted as much as possible to uninstall TCP/IP and reinstall. No luck.
    Attempted the Netsh command with no luck.
    Attempted the Regedit exportation of the Winsock(s) registry and reinstalling... No Luck.
    Attempted to reinstall Network card... No luck.

The only thing that Ive not yet tried is what x9sim9 suggested of clearing out the bad registry with a good installed version of XP's tcp/ip entries. Unfortunately, I happen to be one of the hapless victim of only having 1 computer system running XP. Fortunate or Unfortunately, I do not have access to clean registry. Luckily I have 2 other computers one running windows 2000 and the other windows 98.. and both are able and capable of getting on the internet.

If any of you do have access or have other possible solutions or recommendations, please email me. Or perhaps even post here as when I fix mine, I will definitely post my attempts and what fixed my issue.

Sincerely,
    Dennis / Satori1.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    McAffee icon_cry.gif .... I kinda despise that stuff.

I'd use Norton for client computers and AVG for servers.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Satori1Satori1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All..

With regards to:
    "Error 10106"

I wanted to let you know that x9sim9's suggestion worked with the Regfile overwrite.

I'm not sure it will work for all cases but it worked for me.
    So let me rehash what took place and what I did (Thanks again to x9sim9).

My primary system is running a Windows XP Pro system.
    I HAD McAfee Antivirus, Firewall, Netshield installed.
    I connect online through Broadband Cable.
    The Cable modem is connected to a LinkSys Router.

Two other computers I have are Windows 98, and Windows 2000.
    I don't use them as frequently except for backup or sometimes to do tasks and processes that cannot be done on XP because it is processing other things.

This last Saturday Feb 28th, I recently bought a new virus, netguard and firewall software known as System Suite 5 which use to be on Ontrack but now is with V-Com. I first installed this program with little problem.. so I decided to then uninstall McAfee. BAD MISTAKE..

After attempting to uninstall, McAfee locked up so I ended task and redid the uninstall. The second time was successful in uninstalling the Virus and then the Firewall. My problems began right after uninstalling the firewall. My guess is that McAfee corrupted the TCP/IP protocals or other registry entries. This is the time when I had to reboot and upon rebooting I got the infamous: "Mobile Device Properties: The TCP/IP Network Transport is not installed." Along with: "Error 10106"

At this point I didn't think much of it I thought that after I reboot again or clear the program it would work. After rebooting, it came up with the exact same error. This is when I detected things are not going to be as easy.

So I first contacted my cable company and informed them.. I KNEW what the problem was.. but that I needed help uninstalling and reinstalling the TCP/IP protocal. They attempted to help BUT their focus was the modem or the router and as such they wanted me to reset the modem and then retry the connection without the router. At this point I KNEW that this guy was not listening to me. I told them that I JUST need to get the TCP/IP reinstalled. They had me check some settings and reboot but to no avail. At this point the person informed me that I should try changing my card from one slot unto another and then re-attempt connection. I knew this was not going to work.

I then contacted the Network card manufacturer, Linksys. THEY were the most helpful in attempting to uninstall network drivers but they were diagnosing that their card was maybe the problem and then also eventually mentioned for me to reconnect the card and reinstall the drivers involved with the card. I knew it was not a problem with the slot. So I reinstalled the card via the Hardware Device Manager. I also then attempted to reinstall the network card drivers. Again nothing. Error still kept coming up.

At this point I was starting to get desperate... my weekend was going to be all focused on revitalizing my computer instead of other plans. Then I got the idea that maybe I need to first check if it is just the primary computer OR if it affected all computers. So I started up my Windows 98 box and it successfully logged in. Which once again confirmed to me that I had issues with the Windows XP box.. I began scanning the net for the error above. And sure enough I stumbled onto this site and began reading over carefully what others have gone through.

First attempt... clear the Network Connections.. take out or clear the TCP / IP connection. Then Go into the Registry using RegEdit. Going into the following locations....

And then exporting them... and then deleting them. I rebooted, reinstalled the drivers for the card. And rebooted. The error came back up. Like the GOOD gremlin that it was.

Second attempt... I tried the following command:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

This didn't work either and I got the error again.

Third attempt.. I decided to try and pull the install files from the Windows XP CD and see if I can get the CD to uninstall TCP/IP and then reinstall it. This didn't work either and I got the same error messages upon rebooting.

Fourth attempt, I mixed and did combinations of the above... NO LUCK.

Fifth attempt.. I decided to contact friends and also (x9sim9) one of the people who posted here with regards to getting a CLEAN registry. It took about 7-9 hours to get the response.. (I sent it around 1-2AM). But I sure am glad I did.

THIS is the resolution that worked for me.

1. --- Disable the network connections TCP/IP.. Printers and anything else that was considerable as a network connection service or protocal and I also disabled the dial-up connection.

2. --- I then disabled the Network connections involved with the Broadband connection as well as the Dialup.

3. --- I rebooted the computer.

4. --- I imported the clean registry files for Winsock.

5. --- Rebooted the computer.

6. --- I re-enabled the Network connection of broadband as well as dialup.

7. --- I re-activated the TCP/IP Protocal, IPX/SPX, File/Printers, etc... on both Broadband network card and also the dialup.

8. --- I checked the network connection.. ran Internet Explorer... At first it brought up a dialog box regarding connectivity. Which referenced my dialup. I disengaged it and re-attempted the web page. SUCCESS!!! I decided to pull email at this point as I had at least a good 2 days worth that was not yet extracted.

9. --- To verify it worked I then closed down all apps and rebooted.

10. --- upon rebooting, I didn't get the error message any longer and re-attempted email and browser. SUCCESS again!.

Anyways I just wanted to provide a kind of LOG for those who might be experiencing the same issue and previous different attempts were unsuccessful.. Make sure you keep a good export registry if you are not running multiple computers with Windows XP.

Take care and Good luck.
    Dennis / Satori1.

Thanks again x9sim9..
  • celfoncelfon Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Dennis,
    Thanks for the great detail in your success with this problem. Could you please enlighten me on where you found the clean registry files for Winsock? I only have 1 xp machine also and no backup.

Thanks,
    David
  • PrncssNisPrncssNis Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I'm one of those poor souls that has only one version of XP. Is the offer still up to email me clean registry keys?
  • LotharrLotharr Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    == bump ==

Would someone be nice enough to post these "clean" registry values?

Thank you so much. :D
  • LotharrLotharr Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Incidentally, this issue happened for me without McAfee on my system. I use Panda's Titanium AV program.

I do have a PDA though, which seems to be another common theme with this issue.
  • natakunataku Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for all the information, then researched microsoft. I was able to get it to work as follow. Basically reinstall TCPIP service

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

1. delete

2. disable the Local Area Connection - right click > disable
    3. disable TCPIP - right click > properties > Internet Protocol - uncheck
    4. select Internet Protocol
    5. click install...
    6. select protocol
    7. click add
    8. click Have disk
    9. browse to c:\windows\inf
    10. select Internet Protocol. click ok to all the prompts
    11. reboot
    12. enable Local Area Conection
  • nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello All.

Thought you might find a list of Programs that screw up with XP SP2 helpful....
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

Considering SP2 is ment to be the dogs bo**ox with networking/security its funny how most of the software on that page is to do with AV/Firewalls. My guess is were going to see alot more of this TCP/IP error as SP2 is uses more and more. Gotta love that Microsoft Virtual PC doesnt work too good on it either. hah

Nate
    It's weird - I have installed SP2 many times and so have a fair number of our clients. The only big issues I have had is when someone installs it from a modem download - then again who would want to download that on a modem ... lol.
    Whenever I install it for a client I go from disk and the only problem I have had was a Soltek motherboard that needed a BIOS upgrade.
    www.supercross.com
  • nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The biggest problem I've had with SP2 is in the UK, Blueyonder is one our largest Broadband suppliers, and Microsoft released a patch that kills a load of the Motorola SB* modems. hah. The advice Blueyonder and Microsoft give you? download the freaking patch for it!!! stupid gits, how can you download a patch when you dont have a net connection? plus, if you download the patch first, and then install sp2 it doesnt make a difference! Just have to be greatful it doesnt kill ALL of them i guess.
    Only had a few problems with M/B's tho. Thats something to be greatful for....(old=good, new + Cheap = BAD)

*edit*: how about starting an SP2, problems and fixes tread? icon_lol.gif
  • Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    julianop wrote:
    1) Uninstall the TCP/IP protocol as best you can. If you get grumbles about it being needed for TCP/IP basic services and Unix print services, both of those can be uninstalled from the Windows components section of the add/remove software utility.

2) Using RegEdit, back up and then remove the following keys:-

3) Reboot

4) Reinstall the TCP/IP protocol in the usual way.

I work for a large ISP and we uninstall/reinstall TCP/IP "almost" exactly like that, however after we delete the keys, we reboot.

Then we go into network connections-->right click local area connection, properties. Choose install, click protocol, then add. Click "have disk", the location we pull from is c:\windows\inf or c:\winnt\inf. The file it's pulling is nettcpip.inf

Try that!
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • NYM11NYM11 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any idea how to fix this problem with a windows 98 computer
  • ImPatienceImPatience Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Credits to Julianop, my problem solved.

My version (how it worked for me)

1) Go to run (a healthy version of XP) and type Regedit, then go under
    right-click and select export, saved it into a folder

2) Do the same for

3) Transfer the two folders to the PC having problem

4) Go to run, type Regedit, then go under
    and delete the two folders

5) Double clicked the two winsocks file that had just been transfered
    there will be a prompt, clicked yes

6) Go to control panel, network connections and disable it

7) Right-clicked the network connections and go into properties, unchecked the TCP/IP box (I unchecked every box)

icon_cool.gif Rebooted, the TCP/IP should installed by itself

Hope it helped you.
  • elayoubielayoubi Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ImPatience
    Thank you very much for your help, it is work very well.

Thank you
    Alayoubi
  • mrtechfixmrtechfix Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Satori1 wrote:
    Hi All..

With regards to:
    "Error 10106"

I wanted to let you know that x9sim9's suggestion worked with the Regfile overwrite.

I'm not sure it will work for all cases but it worked for me.
    So let me rehash what took place and what I did (Thanks again to x9sim9).

My primary system is running a Windows XP Pro system.
    I HAD McAfee Antivirus, Firewall, Netshield installed.
    I connect online through Broadband Cable.
    The Cable modem is connected to a LinkSys Router.

Two other computers I have are Windows 98, and Windows 2000.
    I don't use them as frequently except for backup or sometimes to do tasks and processes that cannot be done on XP because it is processing other things.

This last Saturday Feb 28th, I recently bought a new virus, netguard and firewall software known as System Suite 5 which use to be on Ontrack but now is with V-Com. I first installed this program with little problem.. so I decided to then uninstall McAfee. BAD MISTAKE..

After attempting to uninstall, McAfee locked up so I ended task and redid the uninstall. The second time was successful in uninstalling the Virus and then the Firewall. My problems began right after uninstalling the firewall. My guess is that McAfee corrupted the TCP/IP protocals or other registry entries. This is the time when I had to reboot and upon rebooting I got the infamous: "Mobile Device Properties: The TCP/IP Network Transport is not installed." Along with: "Error 10106"

At this point I didn't think much of it I thought that after I reboot again or clear the program it would work. After rebooting, it came up with the exact same error. This is when I detected things are not going to be as easy.

So I first contacted my cable company and informed them.. I KNEW what the problem was.. but that I needed help uninstalling and reinstalling the TCP/IP protocal. They attempted to help BUT their focus was the modem or the router and as such they wanted me to reset the modem and then retry the connection without the router. At this point I KNEW that this guy was not listening to me. I told them that I JUST need to get the TCP/IP reinstalled. They had me check some settings and reboot but to no avail. At this point the person informed me that I should try changing my card from one slot unto another and then re-attempt connection. I knew this was not going to work.

I then contacted the Network card manufacturer, Linksys. THEY were the most helpful in attempting to uninstall network drivers but they were diagnosing that their card was maybe the problem and then also eventually mentioned for me to reconnect the card and reinstall the drivers involved with the card. I knew it was not a problem with the slot. So I reinstalled the card via the Hardware Device Manager. I also then attempted to reinstall the network card drivers. Again nothing. Error still kept coming up.

At this point I was starting to get desperate... my weekend was going to be all focused on revitalizing my computer instead of other plans. Then I got the idea that maybe I need to first check if it is just the primary computer OR if it affected all computers. So I started up my Windows 98 box and it successfully logged in. Which once again confirmed to me that I had issues with the Windows XP box.. I began scanning the net for the error above. And sure enough I stumbled onto this site and began reading over carefully what others have gone through.

First attempt... clear the Network Connections.. take out or clear the TCP / IP connection. Then Go into the Registry using RegEdit. Going into the following locations....

And then exporting them... and then deleting them. I rebooted, reinstalled the drivers for the card. And rebooted. The error came back up. Like the GOOD gremlin that it was.

Second attempt... I tried the following command:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

This didn't work either and I got the error again.

Third attempt.. I decided to try and pull the install files from the Windows XP CD and see if I can get the CD to uninstall TCP/IP and then reinstall it. This didn't work either and I got the same error messages upon rebooting.

Fourth attempt, I mixed and did combinations of the above... NO LUCK.

Fifth attempt.. I decided to contact friends and also (x9sim9) one of the people who posted here with regards to getting a CLEAN registry. It took about 7-9 hours to get the response.. (I sent it around 1-2AM). But I sure am glad I did.

THIS is the resolution that worked for me.

1. --- Disable the network connections TCP/IP.. Printers and anything else that was considerable as a network connection service or protocal and I also disabled the dial-up connection.

2. --- I then disabled the Network connections involved with the Broadband connection as well as the Dialup.

3. --- I rebooted the computer.

4. --- I imported the clean registry files for Winsock.

5. --- Rebooted the computer.

6. --- I re-enabled the Network connection of broadband as well as dialup.

7. --- I re-activated the TCP/IP Protocal, IPX/SPX, File/Printers, etc... on both Broadband network card and also the dialup.

8. --- I checked the network connection.. ran Internet Explorer... At first it brought up a dialog box regarding connectivity. Which referenced my dialup. I disengaged it and re-attempted the web page. SUCCESS!!! I decided to pull email at this point as I had at least a good 2 days worth that was not yet extracted.

9. --- To verify it worked I then closed down all apps and rebooted.

10. --- upon rebooting, I didn't get the error message any longer and re-attempted email and browser. SUCCESS again!.

Anyways I just wanted to provide a kind of LOG for those who might be experiencing the same issue and previous different attempts were unsuccessful.. Make sure you keep a good export registry if you are not running multiple computers with Windows XP.

Take care and Good luck.
    Dennis / Satori1.

Thanks again x9sim9..

I found this to be rather helpful to avoid re formatting the HD.

First, the security software of McAfee or Norton or whatever only needs to be disabled not removed.

Second, look in device mgr and show hidden devices, take a look at your non plug and play and see if anything is out of line, if so delete it, if not great!

Third, go to the network connection and see what the problem is -- limited or no connectivity etc, try an automated fix if not working go to properties and configure the adapter to the IP of your cable modem and/or default gateway, that info can be got from Start, Run, type CMD then at the prompt type ipconfig /all. You should get the IP config info you can then type into adapter. Once that happens magically your connection will be able to repair itself although you won't get internet capacity at this point. Repair and clear the adapter.

Next go thru the typical reset process mentioned by Windows and on this site. http:/support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

You may then need to reset your cable modem after all that. The good news is that you should lose the annoying error messages and have your connectivity restored

go back to the command prompt and type netsh winsock reset if necessary

You then need to contact your router company and get updated drivers etc to reinstall the drivers for your router which are in conflict with your existing protocols.

Hope this helps whoever this issue has plagued.
    Just fix it!