Options

drivers for win 2k and 98

krabikkrabik Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey there folks

I found a FLOPPY WITH drivers for win 2k and 98 in the class room where i do the A+ course. Just wondering what this might be ? Could it be the service pack releases copied from the CD. Can u get these from the net, what benefits are there and are there new releases of drivers ??? So do you constantly have to install the new ones..

thanks krabik

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    heh heh - well they could be modem drivers, or sound card drivers - actually any drivers.
    For anything that is fairly current you can get drivers for - actually if you know where to look you can get dang near any drivers you need icon_smile.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    No service pack ever released will fit on a floppy. Service packs are generally patches and fixes to software (either an app such as Office or the OS itself)-- not device drivers (which is the software the allows the OS to communicate with hardware).
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    ZumpelZumpel Member Posts: 53 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As the guys already said: Drivers and ServicePacks are two different things. You can get both from the net. (Respective vendor site)

Benefits from ServicePack updates are the usual bugfixes which often include security fixes. I suggest you install those.

When it comes to driver updates: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you've got problems with a device, or it's performance is really bad, don't update drivers just for the sake of updating.
    I've dealt with lots (LOOOTTTTSS... shudder....) of people for which a "simple" driver update ended in a couple of hours of fun and games :) .