WGU on Resume?

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
I wanted to ask the members of this site about putting WGU on my resume. Would you put it down if you just started, and if so how would you do it?

Just curious, cause I've applied for a number of positions and am not hearing any word back. So, would it help any if I put down that I am pursuing a Bachelor's degree right now.

Thanks
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey Guys,
    I wanted to ask the members of this site about putting WGU on my resume. Would you put it down if you just started, and if so how would you do it?

Just curious, cause I've applied for a number of positions and am not hearing any word back. So, would it help any if I put down that I am pursuing a Bachelor's degree right now.

Thanks

If you just started no. I think it looks cheesy and desperate if you list it with a 2014 date or something crazy like that. My rule of thumb is if you will graduate within 6 months list it. That in my opinion it's close enough to graduate to show them you are for real.

Now if you aquire an associate degree in the process I would list the associate degree, but not the bachelors part, unless you are within the 6 month window.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I think most forum members would agree that anything outside a year could do more harm than good. That is something you might want to mention in the interview, but not on your resume.
  • RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I say add it!

"currently pursuring a degree in ___ through WGU"

It may or may not help, but def wouldn't harm you in any way.
  • RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

Thanks

I'm more curious about the "i'm not hearing any word back"

How many places have you applied? Have you gone in or just shot off resumes? How long have you been looking, etc?
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I say add it!

"currently pursuring a degree in ___ through WGU"

It may or may not help, but def wouldn't harm you in any way.

I actually did this and almost immediately started seeing results. Cheesy or not it's part of what helped me get an interview at my new job. I say go for it, don't think it'll hurt you in any way.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm more curious about the "i'm not hearing any word back"

How many places have you applied? Have you gone in or just shot off resumes? How long have you been looking, etc?

I've applied for at least five positions with no response back. I give them a couple of weeks, send an email asking for an update, and get nothing. All of the jobs I've applied for only ask for a resume and cover letter to be sent. No phone numbers or anything. Do you think I should call the company and ask about the position? To me that seems kinda desperate, which I don't want to be.

I think I'm gonna put WGU on my resume and see what happens for future jobs.

Thanks for the advice guys.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've applied for at least five positions with no response back. I give them a couple of weeks, send an email asking for an update, and get nothing. All of the jobs I've applied for only ask for a resume and cover letter to be sent. No phone numbers or anything. Do you think I should call the company and ask about the position? To me that seems kinda desperate, which I don't want to be.

Good luck I wish you the best
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would agree to add it. Not having a degree can be a huge obstacle, showing that you are working on it will only benefit you.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I've applied for at least five positions.....

Well there's your problem! Square that number of applications and you'll have better luck.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got another quick question. How important do you guys think learning Windows 7 is in the Network Admin degree?

I got ABV1 transferred from a Windows XP class I took 3 years ago, but I would like to get myself up to speed on the client OS.

I emailed my mentor asking him what needs to be done to request the credit, and he replied that he wants me to make an informed decision on it.

Just looking at responses to getting to know Windows 7 if I'm learning Server 2008.

Thanks!
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I vote for learn windows 7. If nothing else having both XP and 7 certs shows that you are the type of person who keeps up to date on changing technology.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

You need to apply for hundreds of positions. List that you are studying for a degree.