Starting CCNP ROUTE

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello All,

I'm starting the CCNP Journey. ROUTE will be the 1st beast I take on. I'm using the Cisco Press Books and CBT nuggets, as well as hands on at work and my lab equipment. Any other suggestions on material?

Thanks!
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Thats all I am using...
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Routing TCP/IP vol. 1
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Which Cisco Press books? Are you planning on using real equipment or GNS3?
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    Which Cisco Press books? Are you planning on using real equipment or GNS3?

I'm using the study material below. Also, I'm using real equipment. I have a few 3550 EMI switches, a few old 2900XL's, a few 3560's EMI, one 1841 router, 2 2621XMs, and one Cisco IAD.

Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide (Exam Certification Guide) (9781587202537): Wendell Odom: Books

Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Kit: Video, Flash Card, and Quick Reference Preparation Package (Cert Kits) (9781587203176): Kevin Wallace, Denise Donohue, Jerold Swan: Books

I think I should be covered with everything above.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't see the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide mentioned -- nor the FLG abbreviation: Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam

The Lab Guide could be useful: CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual

And since I'm spending your money:
    The Command Guide could be nice to have laying around: CCNP ROUTE Portable Command Guide
    And toss in a bottle of the Good Stuff for the celebration when you pass.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    mikej412 wrote: »

I just bought this, didn't know this even existed...Thanks Mike!
    Foundation Learning Guide's are much better than the official cert guide. It goes in a lot more depth for each topic. I highly recommend getting it for route and only getting the foundation books for the other tests.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I found the official certification guide for route great, but not so for the switch one. FLG was awesome for switch.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i used both the FLG as well as Routing TCP/IP
    WIP: IPS exam
    How long did it take you guys on average to knock out the ROUTE test, from the moment you 1st picked up the book(s) to the day you took and passed the exam?

I just want to get a general idea. I know everyone is going to have a different answer.

I've been watching CBT Nuggets for a few days. I'm still waiting on my books to come in the mail for ROUTE.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • yapchinhoong2010yapchinhoong2010 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have a look on the CCNP ROUTE Complete Guide written by me too. :)
    CCNP ROUTE Complete Guide 1st Edition
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have a look on the CCNP ROUTE Complete Guide written by me too. :)
    CCNP ROUTE Complete Guide 1st Edition

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!

That said -- probably doesn't replace reading the Foundation Learning Guide (and Exam Certification Guide) for a noob, but might compete with Chris Bryant Ultimate Study Guide (though I haven't talked to anyone yet who's used the ROUTE Ultimate Study Guide).

Might work well as a review book for someone who let their CCNP expire or needs to pass a Professional level exam to recertify their CCNP (and doesn't want to try an exam out of their R&S comfort zone).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    i used both the FLG as well as Routing TCP/IP
    Which Routing TCP/IP volume did you get for CCNP Route?

I already bought Wendel's book, and planning to get the FLG, and Routing TCP/IP v1.
    I am just wondering, are you going to read these books. I am thinking of like this:
    Routing TCP/IP -> FLG -> Official Guide
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
    hands down the better book

Any specific reason why it's better?
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    The chapters are longer and goes more in depth on all the topics that the OCG does. When I get done with a chapter I defiantly feel like I have a much better understanding of the protocols and process. I study with a friend of mine who has the OCG and we can read about the same protocol, but I usually have a better understanding than he does (he's not an idiot either). I try not to be bias but this book seems to be more stuff less fluff and that works better for me.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
    The chapters are longer and goes more in depth on all the topics that the OCG does. When I get done with a chapter I defiantly feel like I have a much better understanding of the protocols and process. I study with a friend of mine who has the OCG and we can read about the same protocol, but I usually have a better understanding than he does (he's not an idiot either). I try not to be bias but this book seems to be more stuff less fluff and that works better for me.

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping that the FLG will arrive this week. I started to read the chapter on EIGRP, and so far I have not forgotten anything on it. I have done work with EIGRP and in the past and do some now, not as much as before. I do a lot of ASA work now.

I also got,

Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Kit: Video, Flash Card, and Quick Reference Preparation Package (Cert Kits) (9781587203176): Kevin Wallace, Denise Donohue, Jerold Swan: Books

So far so good. I kind of skip the RIP1 and 2 videos as they are not in ROUTE, I don't see any point putting too much time and effort on those protocols. The EIGRP part of the exam looks a little tough, but from what I have seen on the videos OSPF is going to be a killer!!! icon_sad.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□

So that's the name of it...
    I was on amazon the other day and the only results in my searches were the old books.

I was looking at schools with the CCNP network academy and noticed most of them were on the old curriculum, I guess that's because the new stuff just came out Nov 2010.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    So that's the name of it...
    I was on amazon the other day and the only results in my searches were the old books.

I was looking at schools with the CCNP network academy and noticed most of them were on the old curriculum, I guess that's because the new stuff just came out Nov 2010.

Depending on where you are, the college may have already implemented the new curriculum. I know the college I went to moved into the new CCNP back in September.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't see the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide mentioned -- nor the FLG abbreviation: Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam

And since I'm spending your money:
    The Command Guide could be nice to have laying around: CCNP ROUTE Portable Command Guide
    And toss in a bottle of the Good Stuff for the celebration when you pass.

The CCNP Lab Manual is excellent. What is also nice about it is that it does not come with the answers to its questions, nor the solutions to its challenge and case study labs, but you can obtain all of the answers from the foundation book to complete them by researching the specific topics in question. I found it frustrating at the start, but then realized the time I spent back tracking through the foundations book to answer some obscure questions they had, It really solidified material.
  • isolthai.comisolthai.com Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Routing TCP/IP vol. 1

I agree, people think its for CCIE study, but I'd also recommend you use this for building a sound foundation for the Routing paper of CCNP as well.
    Possibly also have a look at the exam certification guide for CCNP since that would be more exam focussed..
  • valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the materials recommendations in here. That Cert pack and the lab manual look excellent.