Labbing Equipment

Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
Hey, when yall are labbing and studying for hours at a time do you either use a laptop or a desktop, and what size screen. I right now have an ASUS EEE with a 10.1 in. screen that I was going to use, but I am not sure anymore. I think I am going to blow my eyes out when i start studying for longer periods of time. I think I am just trying to justify buying a stupid cheap open box desktop or laptop.
Studying For:
B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
Network+
Currently Reading:
CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle

Comments

• okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    At home I primarily use my 25.5" desktop. Periodically I use my 17" laptop. At work I have a 20" monitor which is powered via my docked 14.1" laptop.

I'm going to be honest, a 10.1" as a primary is crazy! Not just for labbing, but in general. Tablets and netbooks should always be a secondary means. If you don't feel like purchasing a laptop or desktop, you should just be able to get a monitor. Could easily get 20" or higher for under $200.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    okplaya wrote: »
    At home I primarily use my 25.5" desktop. Periodically I use my 17" laptop. At work I have a 20" monitor which is powered via my docked 14.1" laptop.

I'm going to be honest, a 10.1" as a primary is crazy! Not just for labbing, but in general. Tablets and netbooks should always be a secondary means. If you don't feel like purchasing a laptop or desktop, you should just be able to get a monitor. Could easily get 20" or higher for under $200.

The 10.1 is "to use and take to school" netbook. I have a desktop with a 22in and a 17 in laptop. Yeah a 10.1 primary is crazy tho. I just pieced together a Win XP open box desktop with a 19 in monitor for 200 plus shipping at tigerdirect. I am tempted. :D
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Why can't you use what you already have?
    My desktop is too far from my rack, and there isn't really any room to move it to my rack. My laptop is used for other stuff. I think i am really looking for a cheap system to primary use for my labbing and such.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. Grab a cheap wireless router off ebay that supports DD-WRT.
    2. Install DD-WRT on said router.
    3. Configure said router as a wireless bridge.
    4. Connect your access server to the wireless router.
    5. Connect the wireless router to your network wirelessly.
    6. Save the remaining $180 you would have spent on another system and access your rack from your existing desktop.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    1. Grab a cheap wireless router off ebay that supports DD-WRT.
    2. Install DD-WRT on said router.
    3. Configure said router as a wireless bridge.
    4. Connect your access server to the wireless router.
    5. Connect the wireless router to your network wirelessly.
    6. Save the remaining $180 you would have spent on another system and access your rack from your existing desktop.

That could also work. I totally forgot about DD-WRT. Thanks
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I mainly use my custom desktop with 2x 22" screens. When I want to move I around I use my laptop which is 15"
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering