CCENT/CCNA Lab Questions

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi! I'm typically on the Windows 7/ Server part of the forums but got a little bonus w/ my paycheck, I'm thinking of spending some money on a Cisco lab so I'm not utterly awful at networking basics! :)

My plan for a first lab is;

1 2620XM Router
1 2610XM Router
3 WS-C2950-24 2950 Series Switchs

Is this a decent first setup? I also have a no-serial, dual ethernet 2600 2611 router at home as well which I use for.. Well, nothing, it sits there and holds me drinks and plates (Don't rip my arms off!)

Confirmed working tho, Aux, Cons, ethernet 0/0-1 works just fine.
:twisted:

Comments

• j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    What exactly will you be hoping to do with this lab?

For CCENT/CCNA, I'd throw in that extra router and invest in a NM-4a/s or NM-8a/s (or buy 2 wic-1t or 1 wic-2t) and use it as a frame relay switch.

If all you want to do is have one PC ping another on a different network, you should be good as is with the exception of serial connections. You'll want to get either wic-1t or wic-2t along with the cables.

Do some digging around on the forum. This question has been asked over and over and over and over.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EDIT:

I think you helped me answer my own 'darn question, ha! Thank you good sir.

Any other suggestions would be great for a topology.

I was thinking to swap a 2950 with a 2924 (2 2950's and 1 2924) to save some money. Worth it?
    bah.... OP post was edited which made my reply rubbish

I'd stay with the 2950's. Especially if you've already got your base lab in place.

2950-2960 seem to be the switches for CCENT/CCNA. 3550-emi or 3560 for CCNP and above.
    Alright, sounds good.

I'll get those FR materials ordered for my poor table holding 2611 and the rest of the lab up. The cost for the lab so far is 340$ for;

3x 2950 Catalyst Switches
    1x 2620XM Router
    1x 2610XM Router

Each has enough to run 12.4 sufficiently, those 128MB specs..mm.

Good price? It's completely 0 shipping because it's from CablesAndKits, it cost me more to get it off ebay than it did through them to nearly the same.
    You might want to wait for a second opinion. Not that I'm talking out of my ass but another member may come along with other ideas.

My lab consists of the following:

2610 w NM-16a
    2610 w NM-8a/s
    2610XM
    2620XM
    2651XM
    2950 x 2
    3550-emi

I will say the place you're ordering from is great. If I don't order from ebay, I'll order from those guys. Great customer service!
    That is one sexy lab.

How much did the 3550-emi cost you? I love the functionality on a L3 switch.. Hard to accept the price tag on anything more advanced than a mid level 2960 tho. icon_sad.gif
    The 3550-emi was a hard pill to swallow. I believe it was $350 but cheaper than a 3560 at the time.

Take a look at any prices for a 3560.

The labs all ripped apart awaiting for the memory for my 2600 access router. I want to get that installed before I rack everything again.
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    darkerz wrote: »
    Hi! I'm typically on the Windows 7/ Server part of the forums but got a little bonus w/ my paycheck, I'm thinking of spending some money on a Cisco lab so I'm not utterly awful at networking basics! :)

My plan for a first lab is;

1 2620XM Router
    1 2610XM Router
    3 WS-C2950-24 2950 Series Switchs

Is this a decent first setup? I also have a no-serial, dual ethernet 2600 2611 router at home as well which I use for.. Well, nothing, it sits there and holds me drinks and plates (Don't rip my arms off!)

Confirmed working tho, Aux, Cons, ethernet 0/0-1 works just fine.

Are you actually looking to get certified, or just become familiar with Cisco networking? Also, what is meant by a no-serial 2600 2611?
    How much did the 3550-emi cost you? I love the functionality on a L3 switch... Hard to accept the price tag on anything more advanced than a mid level 2960 tho.

3550's are cheaper than the 2960.
    okplaya wrote: »
    Are you actually looking to get certified, or just become familiar with Cisco networking? Also, what is meant by a no-serial 2600 2611?

3550's are cheaper than the 2960.

2600 Series router, specifically a 2611 with 2 ethernet ports, 1 con and 1 aux.

Room to expand, tho.

I am looking to get certified up to a CCNA level then expand to a more CCNA:S and CCDA level from there on out, my company wants me to be more proficient with the technology.
    Oh okay! Well 3 routers and 3 switches will definitely be more than enough for CCNA. I think the lab you're planning to get is fine. Unless you already have one, you may want to invest in a rack. Also, don't forget to factor in the cost for any WIC/NM's/Cables you plan to get. Those things can add up.

You can probably get a router with a good amount of memory, and possibly a card or module already installed on Ebay for about the same or even cheaper. I'd take a look as I found cheaper prices than C&K.

Best advice I can give is to decide if you are doing the composite or two part exam. This will allow you to study in the most efficient way and get certified the quickest. Good luck!
    Oh okay! Well 3 routers and 3 switches will definitely be more than enough for CCNA. I think the lab you're planning to get is fine. Unless you already have one, you may want to invest in a rack. Also, don't forget to factor in the cost for any WIC/NM's/Cables you plan to get. Those things can add up.

You can probably get a router with a good amount of memory, and possibly a card or module already installed on Ebay for about the same or even cheaper. I'd take a look as I found cheaper prices than C&K.

Best advice I can give is to decide if you are doing the composite or two part exam. This will allow you to study in the most efficient way and get certified the quickest. Good luck!

Thanks! My plan now is to find the cheapest access server I can get my hands on.

I'd love to finalize my orders in the next day or two, and rack it all up! :)
    Update for anyone interested;

x2 2620XM Routers with 128/32 Dual-Serial each
    x3 2950 WS-C Switches, 24 ports each
    X1 2611 Router

All for; 442$.

Seems abit pricey to me. But I can't find the same specs on Ebay, either. It's always something; No cabling, small amounts of memory, no serial, 1 serial, or the shipping + price kills the no shipping deal from cables and kits.

Same with the 2950's.

Can anyone perhaps link me some decent *US* links to a 2610xm, 2620xm or 2950 switch that beats this price?

Ebay is supposed to be cheaper. But it does not have what I want.

Grr.
  • JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    Update for anyone interested;

x2 2620XM Routers with 128/32 Dual-Serial each
    x3 2950 WS-C Switches, 24 ports each
    X1 2611 Router

All for; 442$.

Seems abit pricey to me. But I can't find the same specs on Ebay, either. It's always something; No cabling, small amounts of memory, no serial, 1 serial, or the shipping + price kills the no shipping deal from cables and kits.

Same with the 2950's.

Can anyone perhaps link me some decent *US* links to a 2610xm, 2620xm or 2950 switch that beats this price?

Grr.

Might have to price out what memory would cost to upgrade the router's memory yourself, vs a router with the memory you want, and factor in the cost of the router to get "a good deal", but those "deals" are out there if you watch and wait. Same with pricing out cards.

A router with max memory, and the cards you want is going to be pricey, but your paying for the company to max out the memory, install cards, and test it....

Doing all that yourself, can lower the price of the equipment, and is part of the learning process. No reason why you can't just open up the router and stick some memory in it [or flash mem]. Isn't that what being a Cisco tech is all about?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Grr.

There are always deals on ebay, but sometimes you just have to be patient. When a good deal pops up, somebody is going to jump on it. Unless you absolutely have to have it today, there's no reason you have to jump on whatever you see on there today.

You can also take a look at the 1721 and/or 1760 routers in lieu of the 2600XM's. They are capable of everything that the XM's are, and they can be found for less than $50.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There are deals to be had on ebay, but it's something you have to do slowly over time. I was too eager and paid a bit more than I would have if I'd been patient. If you go in looking to buy now, you will get burned--it's just the nature of the beast.

As an example of what I consider a good deal, there is an auction up right now for 5 1760 routers for 109 bucks (139 with shipping). These are all the "newer" models with the 32 flash and all of them can be upgraded quite cheaply to run 12.4T IOS and SDM along with supporting CME and being used for voice purposes if you want. These don't have the NM slot, but for CCNA and CCNP, these can definitely be used.

Anyway, I got a 2650XM for 50 bucks shipped a couple days ago. I didn't even really need it, but it will come in handy, and for that price it was hard to pass up. The deals are there, but you have to be patient to get them.
    Update!

I've accepted the fact that no one, not even Cables and Kits, will ship any router with an already existing WIC-2T card in it, let alone a 1T (I really need that serial connectivity to simulate multiple networks :) )}

Their customer service.. lady, recommended I get this for WAN emulation; Cisco 1-Port ISDN BRI WAN Interface Card, WIC-1B-U

Now, I really just need 1 ethernet port, 1 aux port and 1 console port per router and either dual-serial WIC's or some form of emulating a WAN/Serial connection. Would this little bugger work?

Sorry for all the questions. It's... my first time icon_lol.gif
    You'll need to get a wic-1t or a wic-2t for each of your routers that do not have a serial port. I have 2 wic-1t's in each of my routers (with the exception of the FR because that has my nm-8a/s) After you've got the appropriate serial interfaces installed, buy one DB60 serial back to back cable for each of the routers you need to connect (If you are using wic-2t you'll need smart serial type back to back cables) I have a ss-db60 back to back which works just fine for the one wic-2t I own.
    Their customer service.. lady, recommended I get this for WAN emulation; Cisco 1-Port ISDN BRI WAN Interface Card, WIC-1B-U

You definitely do NOT want an ISDN card. They're cheap, but the only way you'll get any good out of them is to drop another $100 on an ISDN simulator.

Your real choices are the WIC-1T, the WIC-2T, and the WIC-1DSU-T1. The WIC-2T gives you better port density, but the WIC-1T uses the same connector (and therefore the same cables) as the NM-4A/S and NM-8A/S should you later get one of those for frame relay. The WIC-1DSU-T1 is the cheapest of the bunch (often $5 each), but the cables aren't as readily available and many end up making their own. The T1 crossovers use the same cable and same connectors as Ethernet, but are wired differently. I'm using WIC-1T's but for reasons that aren't really relevant today.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    You definitely do NOT want an ISDN card. They're cheap, but the only way you'll get any good out of them is to drop another $100 on an ISDN simulator.

Your real choices are the WIC-1T, the WIC-2T, and the WIC-1DSU-T1. The WIC-2T gives you better port density, but the WIC-1T uses the same connector (and therefore the same cables) as the NM-4A/S and NM-8A/S should you later get one of those for frame relay. The WIC-1DSU-T1 is the cheapest of the bunch (often $5 each), but the cables aren't as readily available and many end up making their own. The T1 crossovers use the same cable and same connectors as Ethernet, but are wired differently. I'm using WIC-1T's but for reasons that aren't really relevant today.

Don't forget the WIC-2A/S, it's cheaper than a 2T, and while it is slower, it works fine for a home lab.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Don't forget the WIC-2A/S, it's cheaper than a 2T, and while it is slower, it works fine for a home lab.

Good point. For a lab environment it's essentially the same card so I never think to differentiate the two.
    Excellent1 wrote: »

This thread is.. So full of useful information!

So far I'm concrete on starting off with Two WS-C2950-24's. (Each with a power cord, rack parts and console cord) at 69$ a pop. I could get cheaper on ebay, but that shipping kills it for me.

I'll have a 2611, 2950 and 2950 within the week. My research must now lie within 2-3 routers. I'm really thinking the 2620xm or 2650xm would be excellent for CCNA/CCDA and later when I expand, CCNA:Security level studies. Along with those dual serial WIC's for a lab environ and the proper cables, I should be all set.

I'm confused on the hate for the 2500 series routers. Why do people tend to avoid them for labbing? Poor little fellas. Is it the differing IOS versions or is it about advanced topics?
    2950 switches $55 shipped. Four left. See below.

CISCO WS-C2950-24 2950 Catalyst Switch Qty Available - eBay (item 270714432809 end time Apr-01-11 08:18:41 PDT)

That same seller also has cheap prices for the 2600xm series routers.

HTH
    2950 routers $55 shipped. Four left. See below.

CISCO WS-C2950-24 2950 Catalyst Switch Qty Available - eBay (item 270714432809 end time Apr-01-11 08:18:41 PDT)

That same seller also has cheap prices for the 2600xm series routers.

HTH

You are a life saver. I can afford to eat out this week! icon_cheers.gif

Also, don't you mean 2950 switches? icon_twisted.gif
  • SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Dakerz, are you ever going to follow up on the job posting??
    SneakDogg wrote: »
    Hey Dakerz, are you ever going to follow up on the job posting??

Thanks for reminding me, I'll update the thread asap! Derp.
    I'm confused on the hate for the 2500 series routers. Why do people tend to avoid them for labbing? Poor little fellas. Is it the differing IOS versions or is it about advanced topics?

The 2500 are good little routers, I don't think that there's any actual hate for them.

The problem lies in the fact that they're fixed configuration, they can only run IOS version 12.3, they don't have the hardware necessary to do ROAS, and can't work with SDM. In the past, they were still liked as an inexpensive router, especially when complementing a pair of 2600xm's. But today they're running $25-$30 a piece, and it's hard to recommend them when you can get a 1721 or a 1760 for $10 more. Those two models can run IOS version 12.4T and don't have any of the limitations of the 2500.

On the other hand, if somebody drops a stack of 2500's off at your door at no cost, they'll still get you through the CCNA.
    Hey guys, so I ordered my 3 switches and have a Frame Relay NM on it's way for my 2611. Now, I want to order the 1760's instead of a 2610/20xm router, because it saves a lot of money and does the some functionality.

What is the consensus on these? CISCO 1760 Modular Access Router 1700 Series tm | eBay Besides buying some serial WIC's, I think I'd be set? What are the thoughts on the memory, tho?
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    following this thread as I'm about to build a home lab, too.
    Hey guys, so I ordered my 3 switches and have a Frame Relay NM on it's way for my 2611. Now, I want to order the 1760's instead of a 2610/20xm router, because it saves a lot of money and does the some functionality.

I was going to get the 2610/20xm, too. Until alan told me that 1760 is less expensive and does have the same function. :D

The 2509 AS and octal cable is making the lab expensive.

thanks for the link, too, okplaya.

the only issue I have with eBay sellers, they only ship to confirmed paypal address. I may have to buy the equipment from 3-4 different sellers. That would mean 3-4 different shipping/arrival dates, and taking a day off from work on 3-4 different dates. Because, no one is at home to sign for it. *sigh*
    518 wrote: »
    following this thread as I'm about to build a home lab, too.

I was going to get the 2610/20xm, too. Until alan told me that 1760 is less expensive and does have the same function. :D

The 2509 AS and octal cable is making the lab expensive.

thanks for the link, too, okplaya.

the only issue I have with eBay sellers, they only ship to confirmed paypal address. I may have to buy the equipment from 3-4 different sellers. That would mean 3-4 different shipping/arrival dates, and that would mean taking a day off from work on 3-4 different dates. Because, no one is at home to sign for it. *sigh*

I was thinking about getting an Access Server as well! But.. The price seems to reflect the demand. Rage.

I'm currently contacting multiple 1760 sellers asking about their memory specs and IOS versions. After I find just two that I can scoop up, the goal is to order some WIC-2A/S cards for my 2 new routing babies.

Perhaps I'll invest in the 26__ XM series modules in the future, for now I can see my 6 total devices being more than sufficient, and then on to a 3550emi/3560 and 28xx series stuff for the security bit later on. Not to think too far ahead, ofcourse.

I keep forgetting the cost of cabling, tho! Grr. Always after I close my calculator program icon_sad.gif
    I've found it would be... More cost effective.. to buy 3 NM-4a/s than 1 for my FR and 2 Wic-2A/S's.

Would this work for my serial needs? o.O