hello every one what to you think makes a good technician?

andyjudd1andyjudd1 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello every one what to you think makes a good technician? let me know ur thoughts.icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • andyjudd1andyjudd1 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    all the other things i can tick off but its the knowledge i lack lolicon_sad.gif
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    andyjudd1 wrote: »
    all the other things i can tick off but its the knowledge i lack lolicon_sad.gif
    It's probably the one which you have most control over though. If keep continously learning the knowledge on demand will come along naturally.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Time Management
    Knows when to accept defeat
    Knows how to use resources
    Good Tool Kit(software or hardware tools)
    FUNDAMENTALS of there Trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I can't overstate this enough.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    andyjudd1 wrote: »

Hey want to hear a joke? Here it goes....

Q: What do you call an I.T. guy that isn't studying new technologies?
    A: Unemployed (or will be soon) icon_lol.gif

Reading articles about the latest buzzwords in technology will not help. Pick up a certification book in something you have an interest in and get studying! Try to knock out a chapter a day.

If you have attained 3 certification in the past few years you could probably take a year off, but in this line of work if you get complacent you'll find yourself saying something like this: YouTube - They Took Er Jerbs DURKA DERRR south park
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    KNOW what you are supporting. If you don't know, ASK!
    Have the right tools for the job (hardware/software)
    LISTEN to the issues a person is having. For you it may be something dumb and an easy fix, to them it is a crisis. People skills are a MUST!
    Practice what you preach. If you push AV, anti malware, constant backups, etc make sure you are doing the same for your own machine(s).
    yes deffenatly i have my own way of doing things and i use it every where i go i am currently doing my a+ at the moment hoping to get a job after :D
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In order of priority:

Communication - Non technical people easily get frustrated with the difficulty of trying to explain and then understand technical jargon. You need to find ways to relay information to them in a way they will understand. It's an art to do it well.

Knowledge - Don't be a Google technician. Having a solid base of skills to pull from will make you a better technician. Certifications, experience, college & reading will build your knowledge base.

Ambition - Don't be content on cruise control; always try to progress and grow your knowledge and personal character.
    yer i allways want to progress unfortunately i haven't got much knowledge outside of the A+ im studying at the moment but im reading up on lots of stuff.
  • apoole15apoole15 Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For a Help Desk Technician -

Patience - you will be dealing with people who may not be as technically savvy as you. You need to be patient and understanding with them. If they are co-workers, you must remember they are your customers - treat them as you would an outside customer/client.

Initiative - don't just sit there waiting for the next ticket to come through. Research the latest technologies. Investigate ways to streamline processes.

Document - Remember that troublesome issue that came up and you spent hours researching for a resolution? Document it so the next time it happens - and it most likely will - you and/or your team can resolve it quickly.

Team Player - It's nice to get kudos and recognition for the work you do but in the end, remember that you're on a team and the overall objective is to keep things running as efficiently as possible - don't hold back knowledge - don't say "that's not my job".

Take Responsibility - If you make a mistake, say so. Don't make others try to blindly fix something you broke. Let them know you made a mistake, what you did, etc. - so they have the proper information to fix it as quickly as possible.

Those are some of the basics that I can think of to being a good Help Desk Technician.
  • bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To be a technician I don't think you have to be one of the smartest guy or know every little fact about your job and the equipment you work on. However you do need to know how to find the information to fix any issue that comes up and I'm not talking about just googling it. I mean opening up manuals and reading schematics if necessary.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Integrity #1 - I can handle a screw up as long as someone tells me about it BEFORE things go wrong. If I find out someone made a mistake or didn't do the right thing and I get woken up at 3 am because someone was too lazy to test a F##N cable, I might be a little upset.

Respect #2 - The person may do the same thing I do or something completely different. I don't care if your a CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, MSCE, MCSA or what ever, I work WITH you not below you or above you. I respect your knowledge and experience and I get the same in return.

Communication #3 - kinda goes back to integrity, if you don't know something, RTFM or Google it, if you still don't know or want clarification, ask (and please write the answer down). If you need something, manuals, books, training, equipment, let me know ahead of time if possible.

Willingness to learn #4 - I always sold myself on how eager I am to do or learn anything. I want someone who is hungry for knowledge, not someone who is on a brain diet!

Willing to do anything #5 - I have worked with people who have their experience and certifications who would refuse to do some things because it was beneath them. Like plugging into the head end switch and running ping tests for packet loss. I want someone who is willing to sit there and do what is needed.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison