Microsoft CRM & SQL

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello guys,

I've been put to the task of building a CRM server for my company. The previous guy was the one installing it and I don't know where he left off. I know there is one server with SQL installed I don't know anything about sql so im not sure what he instaleld or not and if that sql database is in use. Then the other server is the one where microsoft CRM is supposed to go. Anyone give me any guidance as to how o install these two components. My boss wants the crm integrated with AD.

Thanks

Comments

• it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Not to sound insulting but this may be above your skill level. If you don't know much about SQL this is going to go very badly for you. I recommend looking up MS partners with specialties in CRM and getting a consultant.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is one of those things that a lot of admins just "wing" and then it either comes back to bite them or the person who eventually replaces them.

Improperly installing/configuring SQL Server can cause a lot of problems in the future.

How many people are expected to be using this?
  • Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    Well its basically just 4-5 of us. And yea I know nothing about SQL or hwo to set it up.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Darian929 wrote: »
    Well its basically just 4-5 of us. And yea I know nothing about SQL or hwo to set it up.

this has consultant written all over it.
  • Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    Well I dont have to do anything else aside from just configuring the SQL server and the CRM to work with each other... also I am doing it in a test vsphere first before doing anything on production.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well I dont have to do anything else aside from just configuring the SQL server and the CRM to work with each other... also I am doing it in a test vsphere first before doing anything on production.

Remember the rule of IT that states that the one that installs a thing and the last one to work on a thing inherits the blame in often unequal proportions.

While it is do-able, my spider sense is tweaking. I am another to advise you to tighten the bolt in your belly button so that you do not get your a** handed to you in the future.

It is amazing to some what simple procedures can make all of your data turn into blue smoke and blow away. CRM has this uncanny ability to become super mission critical once it becomes the primary way of replacing paper notes and records.

shadow wispers... 4 or 5 of you, so what, backup prodedure in the plan before going live.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218

I have no idea of the size of the user base for this CRM, but I can bet if it is of any consequence, you'll do it in a very inefficient manner. Throwing the whole database in one file (and filegroup) and temp db onto one drive may not work for your organization.

Once the CRM is up and running, guess what - management will probably want reports out of it. How many customers with this or that product have not been contacted in the past 2 months. How many people have multiple products in the southeast? Once you get into creating views and indexes so you can build these reports in crystal reports or excel or whatever, you need to know how to do it in a manner that cant affect live data and that wont slow the system down.

You're going to have to understand backing it up - backing up filegroups, transaction logs, security info/logins...how it schedules...the different types of backups, when to use them.

Just my .02. If you dont know much about SQL, i would suggest a contractor - and force yourself to start learning it- at least the management side. Study for the SQL 2k5 or 2k8 exam, even if you dont ever test, learn it. I would start with the trainsignal or cbtnuggets. There is a substantial amount of terminology and concepts you have to get through before you can understand how to properly work with sql...and im not talking query language, i mean just managing the product.

Hope that helps.