Options

CCNA Home Lab

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hey guys,

So I know I have the CCNA but really no experience in designing a network. I have here what I am thinking of setting up at my house. Basically I have comcast cable modem now and a linksys wireless router. I just aquired:

1 Cisco 2611 XM
1 Cisco 2020
2 Cisco 2550 Switches
1 Cisco 3500 XL

Also have 2 firewalls but will use them further on. Now I just want to have everything up and operational but don't know what would be the best way to go about this. I have a server I have Vsphere installed on it. I will need to do NAT On the outbound interface towards the Comcast Router and an access list. What else do you see... any challenges?

Comments

• Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't mean to sound "mean" but, how do you have a CCNA yet ask how to "Set this all up"... I haven't even touched upon 5% of my reading and have a much more complex topology set up on an emulator (PT and GNS3), hell I didn't know what I was doing 3 days ago....

*Genuinly confused*
    :twisted:
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    Darian929 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I know I have the CCNA but really no experience in designing a network. I have here what I am thinking of setting up at my house. Basically I have comcast cable modem now and a linksys wireless router. I just aquired:

1 Cisco 2611 XM
    1 Cisco 2020
    2 Cisco 2550 Switches
    1 Cisco 3500 XL

Also have 2 firewalls but will use them further on. Now I just want to have everything up and operational but don't know what would be the best way to go about this. I have a server I have Vsphere installed on it. I will need to do NAT On the outbound interface towards the Comcast Router and an access list. What else do you see... any challenges?

Well, there's only one interface in/out to the internet [stub], so that interface has to do NAT.

other than that, you can create as big a network [ # of routers] as you want.

Whatever routing protocol you use in that internetwork will tell routers where to send frames out to the internet. Good way to lab routing protocols like RIPv2, OSPF, EIGRP,
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    darkerz don't worry i dont take things in a bad way what I mean is not that I dont know how to set it up.. obviously i know how to set it up and all commands I just want the best topology possible where I can practice STP, Redundancy etc etc.... but I got one down which i made and I think it's the way to go
  • Options
    kurferkurfer Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    darkerz wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound "mean" but, how do you have a CCNA yet ask how to "Set this all up"... I haven't even touched upon 5% of my reading and have a much more complex topology set up on an emulator (PT and GNS3), hell I didn't know what I was doing 3 days ago....

*Genuinly confused*

He is a paper CCNA, not that this is a bad thing...everyone has to start somewhere. Give the guy some credit, he is investing in his career and continued education.

At least he isn't one of the many countless morons that goes and takes the CCNA via braindump without spending a dime on training and then destroys the work place for the legit folks out there.