Gateway of last resort via rip

FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
I have three routers

the 877 is connected to the ISP router so I put in the gateway of last resort to my internet router which is 192.168.0.1 the gateway of the router provided by my ISP

I can ping 4.2.2.2 from the 877 fine,

I enabled rip on all three routers and advertised all the networks and I can ping everything fine except that I cannot ping 4.2.2.2 from the other routers. the other routers do not have a gateway of last resort set.

I went to each router and put in

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to the next hop towards the internet

It now works fine. Was I asking to much of RIP to redistribute the gateway of last resort?

Many thanks

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Futura wrote: »
    It now works fine. Was I asking to much of RIP to redistribute the gateway of last resort?

Today, yes.
    In earlier versions of RIP, the default route created using the ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 was automatically advertised by RIP routers. In Cisco IOS Software Release 12.0T and later, RIP does not advertise the default route if the route is not learned via RIP. It may be necessary to redistribute the route into RIP.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Futura wrote: »

If you didn't tell rip to redistribute something, then yes, you're asking too much of it to redistribute it. icon_lol.gif

What you want to do to redistribute your default route is to go under rip configuration (router rip) and issue "default-information originate"
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    exactly the answer(s) I was looking for, many thanks

funny that Jeremy on nuggets icnd 1 sets up the three routers and then does'nt ping the internet on router three.

would have saved me about three hours if he had mentioned that!

obviously the subtle clue there was that there were no route to 0.0.0.0 in the routing table on the other routers. dang nabbit.