Information Assurance WDC area what do you all think?

Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
Got an offer to become a Jr. IA consultant in the WDC Area. The client will perform a TS security clearance on me, currently I work IT (IT Administrator)in the Legal field. The pay is the same for both places, benefits and perks better in the law firm. But that TS security is what luring me to this position. I mainly do System Admin, deskside,tech, application, a/v support. How is the IA field like?

Im 26 5years of IT work place experience. BS, Masters degree and Comptia Trifecta, project+ on the way.

Comments

• flash23flash23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would do it if you were gonna be able to pass the TS check that is worth it's weight in gold
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I know a lot of people here are high on clearances, and they do open new doors, but I wouldn't take a job just based on getting one. I've never used mine after getting out, nor have I wanted to get into the type of environment that requires one.

I'd take a hard look at those benefits also. With even pay I'd be inclined to take the one with better benefits, especially if you are a family man.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I know a lot of people here are high on clearances, and they do open new doors, but I wouldn't take a job just based on getting one. I've never used mine after getting out, nor have I wanted to get into the type of environment that requires one.

I'd take a hard look at those benefits also. With even pay I'd be inclined to take the one with better benefits, especially if you are a family man.

Gotta agree with this. That clearance will run your life. Literally. Absolutely no credit issues, law issues or anything. Even the slightest thing will come up during your initial and then your reinvestigation. Depending on the TS you may need a polygraph as well, those are hell. Sure tie clearance is nice, but it will limit a lot of what you can do.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • JaneS.JaneS. Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would not pass this opportunity up. I have been searching for a job in the DC area for over 2 years and have been told countless times that I’m qualified for a position but I need a clearance to start. It seems to be the only thing standing in my way. I had a TS from my time in the Army, but it lapsed after I got out and took a job that didn’t require one. I seriously regret that now. Just my two cents.
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just like networker050184, I wouldnt take the job just because of the TS clearance. Your current job has better benefits and perks, I'd stay with it. If in the long run another potential employer finds my resume, I hope they offer a much better compensation before I even consider. else, what's the point of moving?! DC, Alexandria, and El Segundo, CA are one of the spots where cleared personnel are dime a dozen. Otherwise, you would have gotten an offer you cant resist and much better compensation than your current uncleared position.
    phantasm wrote: »
    Gotta agree with this. That clearance will run your life. Literally. Absolutely no credit issues, law issues or anything. Even the slightest thing will come up during your initial and then your reinvestigation. Depending on the TS you may need a polygraph as well, those are hell. Sure tie clearance is nice, but it will limit a lot of what you can do.

you'd be surprised how much cleared personnel are or have been in foreclosure the past few years. You think they lost their clearances during the periodic reinvestigation? As long as you're honest filling out your eQIP, there's always a waiver. icon_lol.gif

to the OP, good luck!
  • Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    I really appreciate your honest opinions on this, I think I will pass mainly due to the fact I am married and the head of household. Wife is about to start pharmacy school, so health insurance is important and they will cover my wife @ 70%, there small 5 people currently. If I was single I'd probably do it, but with a wife and a house. I can’t risk that right now. With me being still fairly young I think another opportunity will come my way.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Heny '06 wrote: »
    Wife is about to start pharmacy school, so health insurance is important and they can’t guarantee coverage for my wife, there small 5 people currently.

That would be the end of the conversation for me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I corrected it, they will cover her 70%. Wife is behind me on my decision either way.
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Heny '06 wrote: »
    Got an offer to become a Jr. IA consultant in the WDC Area. The client will perform a TS security clearance on me, currently I work IT (IT Administrator)in the Legal field. The pay is the same for both places, benefits and perks better in the law firm. But that TS security is what luring me to this position. I mainly do System Admin, deskside,tech, application, a/v support. How is the IA field like?

Im 26 5years of IT work place experience. BS, Masters degree and Comptia Trifecta, project+ on the way.

Just saw this and thought I would share..
    IT professionals holding an active security clearance are among the top earners in a list of the highest compensated professionals with security clearances this year, with many earning six-figure salaries. Not surprisingly, security-cleared IT pros also hold a compensatory advantage over their non-cleared counterparts, according to a new survey by ClearanceJobs.com.

Cleared for Higher Pay - Wired Workplace
    Yes, I know I have a good friend who makes crazy money. But he has a secret clearance and works in the security field. With this opportunity in front of me, I look at it as a laterial move, to make a big vertical move in a few years.