WGU Degree comparison chart

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am starting the enrollment process with WGU and I have constantly been back and forth on deciding my major. From what I have seen around here, I am not alone in this.

So, if you are like me and need help choosing between Security, Network Admin or Network Design & Management, I have put together a spreadsheet outlining the differences between the three.

Yellow = Required across all degree plans
Blue = Unique to that degree plan

Hopefully this helps with your decisions.
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice, when I did mine it wasn't as colorfull but I included costs for certs from WGU (tuition) vs cost to get on my own. I vote sticky for this or at least add it to the WGU thread.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was planning on going the Security route, mainly for the CCNA:Security but since the Masters program already includes CCNA, I figured I could just wait on that one.

I think I am going to take advantage of the free Dreamspark MS voucher before I start my first term to get an early start and cut down on my cost a bit.
    WGU PROGRESS

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It should be noted that your degree (diploma) makes no mention of your specialty, it just says Information Technology.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    It should be noted that your degree (diploma) makes no mention of your specialty, it just says Information Technology.

Interesting. So, regardless of degree plan, they all just say "Information Technology"? Does the same apply for the Masters degrees?
    WGU PROGRESS

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know about the masters. The primary benefits of choosing your emphasis (the Major is IT) is getting the different certs and getting exposure to the different areas. That's why I usually recommend to those new to IT to get the general IT emphasis. It's really hard for me to recommend to anyone to take a particular emphasis since they have changed so much since I started 2 years ago. WGU has changed the majority of their IT programs at least once a year and you have the option of changing with the program at term beginnings. I'm one of those slow timers, only taking 18 or 19 CUs a term.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I was planning on going the Security route, mainly for the CCNA:Security but since the Masters program already includes CCNA, I figured I could just wait on that one.

I think I am going to take advantage of the free Dreamspark MS voucher before I start my first term to get an early start and cut down on my cost a bit.

I dropped Security to go to the Network Administration (since it picked up the CCENT) and using the dreamsparks voucher for 643. I'll work on finishing my CCNA and possible the CCNA:Security after that.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Interesting. So, regardless of degree plan, they all just say "Information Technology"? Does the same apply for the Masters degrees?

No.

It's common at most universities for the specialty to not be noted.
  • beantownmpbeantownmp Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone now if an updated version of something similar to this exists?? This is great, but outdated...
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    It looks like something some one not from wgu took the time to create. the downside is with the changes they are making it would be hard to make it correct because the info in the website might not match up to the current course work.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • twill713twill713 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I created a spreadsheet with openoffice that may be helpfully.

http://db.tt/xrljOGlU
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    This raises a new question for me. Seeing all of the courses side-by-side like this makes me think changing from one degree to another would be easy, is that often the case with WGU? Say, for example, that I go into Security and hate it. Could I easily switch to Network Admin or would they frown upon that? Again, what if I complete the security path, would it just be a few more classes for the Network Admin degree?
    Happens all the time. People get stuck on a course and switch to a different program to avoid it.
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    You may switch but only in-between terms. So if you do not like the Security path you will have to wait until your six month term is over. I switched from the ND&M or what ever it's called to the general IT degree.

I'm not sure about your last question if you mean that you passed a class in one program that is not needed for the other you are SOL. If you are asking about dual degrees I'm 85% sure that's not possible.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    @ KeithC

Not dual degrees, 2 separate degrees at two separate times. Complete degree A, and then next term take classes for degree B. Because there are so few classes that separate some of these degrees, couldn't you easily get degree B once you have completed degree A?
  • milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Because the two degrees are essentially the same BSIT, I know they won't let you earn both degrees at the same time. In fact, from what my mentor told me, you're not even allowed to take courses from another program.

I had a the idea of taking some Security courses after finishing Software. My idea was to get some preparation before trying the MS in InfoSec.

My mentor said absolutely not, no way. She is usually very flexible about things, so either she misunderstand what I wanted or they do not allow it.
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    From the student handbook > Second Degree Matriculation

Students wishing to matriculate into a WGU baccalaureate degree program, who already hold an associate or baccalaureate degree from a regionally, nationally or U.S. Department of Education recognized accredited institution, may only do so if the WGU degree will require a minimum of 30 CUs;

If the classes equal 30 CU then I guess you could spend money on another term or two.
    twill713 wrote: »
    I created a spreadsheet with openoffice that may be helpfully.

http://db.tt/xrljOGlU

thanks for the spreadsheet twill713 but its already behind as well.
  • twill713twill713 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Really I literally created it like 2 months ago. Are the pdfs on the WGU website correct?