I/O address's

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
What would you guys recommend is important to memorize for the exam? I have the com ports down, but I am not sure I need to memorize it all.. what do you think?

Pandimus
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Well, I made sure I had all the IRQ, DMA, and IO addresses memorized but the most important is definitely the IRQs. However, if you do decide to memorize IO and DMA it would probably be beneficial because it will give you 1 - 2 more right answers on your test. If you're pretty confident with your knowledge of the other areas, you may not need to memorize all the addresses. But, since the test is adaptive, every question is very important. My recommendation is to study all of the addresses and just hope for the best. Good luck!

Cheeblie
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    IRQ is cake. DMA. I think I have it.. Just the I/O's suck
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Well, in order to get the IOs down, I would write them down by hand over and over again. Whenever I need to memorize something like that that's what I do. Eventually you will be able to write down the device and know the IO address because it's burned into your brain. I recommend you do this now and the morning of the test.

Cheeblie
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    you did the whole list? Like the Dma controller etc/etc.. Unfortunatly there is no easy order for me to memorize them. Xcept for the coms.
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Check the sticky in this forum for ways to remember things you may come across (I/O, IRQ, laser printers). Then right every thing down from memory before you start the exam.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • hammer headhammer head Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are I/O addresses, IRQ's and DMA's even on the OS test(this is the OS forum)? I think they're are covered in hardware. They were on my hardware test. I remembered all 15 IRQ's, and the I/O base address for each device that has a IRQ and I passed the hardware test. I think Im got a lot more studying for OS!
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmm, I don't remember IRQs & I/Os on the OS part of the exam.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I can quote IRQ's and DMA's in my sleep, but I've got a list of about 29 I/O Addresses that I have yet to memorize. Should I go for all 29, or are there just a few that you really need to memorize?
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Took the sample test on this site, and only missed 2 questions. What is the I/O Address for the Primary IDE Controller? And what is the I/O Address for the Secondary IDE Controller? Added those two addresses to my "List of things to study".
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman