planning to take MCDST before june

DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
does it really help having the A+ in passing this?

how long do I need to :studyicon_confused.gif

and which books do i need?

thanks. :)

Comments

• Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having A+ helps, but doesn't go into enough depth for the MCDST.

Study time for eveyone is different. If you have worked a Helpdesk job supporting XP for any given amount of time, then you should be able to knock out the MCDST in a couple months with no problem.

I used the MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271) books and MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272) Books along with the CBTnuggets Microsoft MCDST Certification Package.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    buy the microsoft press books. (MAKE SURE they are 2nd edition) [its updated for service pack 2 changes in the OS which get tested on]
    they come with a 120 day trial disc of XP sp2 that you can install in Virtual Box or your favorite virtualization program.

make sure you get plenty of hands on with this exam.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for your response. . .

i got an email from a test center a while ago and told me that this will expire tomorrow 03/31/2011 that makes me totally confused.

had exchanged emails with the test center representative

test rep:

Sent: Wednesday, 30 March, 2011, 5:45 PM
    It’s Global Sir.

me:

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:39 PM

thanks for your immediate response, . .

is it only in your test center that the exam won't be available or all of the test center?

i'm confused, . . the MS website

( Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exam Development )
    says it's june 30 . . .

Test rep:

Date: Wednesday, 30 March, 2011, 5:18 PM

No Sir they change to March 31, 2011

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Me:

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:20 PM

uhm, . . isn't it june 30?

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exam Development

Test rep:

Date: Wednesday, 30 March, 2011, 5:04 PM

Hi Sir,

For your info tomorrow will be the last day of this certification this will be retired.

Thank you.

will call MS Learning Solutions 3002-7866 (9:00 am – 6:00pm operation hours) tomorrow since it's already past 6pm
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I believe what is going on is this:

As of March 31, 2011 no one will be able to schedule new exams for the 271/272 for any date. It is a deadline for scheduling new tests. Not a deadline on which tests must be taken.

If you schedule an exam before March 31, you may pick a date to take the exam NO LATER than June, 2011. I think this is it. THINK. We have had this discussion on a bunch of occassions in the MCDST forum. If I am wrong, then your test center rep is also wrong. MS Learning is not retiring the exam until June.

My personal opinion is that June cannot come soon enough. This cert is something like 9 years old. It's time for people to move on to Windows 7.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    My personal opinion is that June cannot come soon enough. This cert is something like 9 years old. It's time for people to move on to Windows 7.

+1 (Would give you rep, but I need to spread more around.)

Why would you even consider taking an exam 3 months before it retires?
    Claymoore wrote: »
    +1 (Would give you rep, but I need to spread more around.)

Why would you even consider taking an exam 3 months before it retires?

So that you can fail it and not be able to retake essentially flushing your money? It's not like some one certed on Win 7 would not be able to support XP well.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So that you can fail it and not be able to retake essentially flushing your money? It's not like some one certed on Win 7 would not be able to support XP well.

I'm still debating whether I want these or not. I'll be going to a windows 7 bootcamp through work in April or May for the 70-680, but I am a firm believer that understanding where technology was and where it is now is far better than just knowing what is out there today. Not to mention many companies are still on xp.
    Decide what to be and go be it.

As of March 31, 2011 no one will be able to schedule new exams for the 271/272 for any date. It is a deadline for scheduling new tests. Not a deadline on which tests must be taken.

If you schedule an exam before March 31, you may pick a date to take the exam NO LATER than June, 2011. I think this is it. THINK. We have had this discussion on a bunch of occassions in the MCDST forum. If I am wrong, then your test center rep is also wrong. MS Learning is not retiring the exam until June.

Also there is a flaw with this idea. Prometric only allows you to book an exam 6 weeks in advance. If 3/31 is the last day you can schedule and exam, then May 12th would be the last possible day to take the exam. Any days after the 12th will be grayed out on the Prometric Calendar.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Also there is a flaw with this idea. Prometric only allows you to book an exam 6 weeks in advance. If 3/31 is the last day you can schedule and exam, then May 12th would be the last possible day to take the exam. Any days after the 12th will be grayed out on the Prometric Calendar.

i just rescheduled my 272 exam as far as i could. and just got it to the 25th of May. So i believe its 8 weeks max. also you could always keep rescheduling.

if there is anything about march31, im sure its for registration. not scheduling.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637

Exactly. Plus taking 680 and some combination of 681/685/686 would almost guarantee you contract deployment work for the next year, earning you money, valuable experience , and maybe even a full-time gig. Taking 271/272 just puts you in the helpdesk queue with a few thousand other people.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□

Watch the math RK...lol
    You can only schedule 8 weeks in advance so it doesn't add up. The test center rep is just wrong.
    +1 on your points about not taking the MCDST at all though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    i just rescheduled my 272 exam as far as i could. and just got it to the 25th of May. So i believe its 8 weeks max. also you could always keep rescheduling.

Thanks for the correction. I had 6 weeks on the brain but did just confirm that the 25th is the latest it goes. 2 extra weeks, but still a little over a month short.
    earweed wrote: »
    Watch the math RK...lol
    You can only schedule 8 weeks in advance so it doesn't add up. The test center rep is just wrong.
    +1 on your points about not taking the MCDST at all though.

Wrong!

If it is April 20th and I need to reschedule my exam, I could. AS I stated NEW exams being scheduled != existing exams being rescheduled.

Of course, I am probably just be wrong. I hope I am, but regardless, if you are going to, just take these dang tests already. icon_rolleyes.gif

IMO the only thing I ever got out of the MCDST was from the study for the tests, not from having the cert. The cert itself has been worthless to me. I studied my @$$ off for the 271 and layed a very good foundation. My first cert and I scored in the mid 900s. I'm happy I did it. But I think this cert is nearly worthless now.
  • DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for your response guys, . . =D

the test rep just send me an email message yesterday, . .

Hi Sir,

I would like to inform you regarding your inquiry for MCDST certification.

Microsoft rescheduled the retiring certification on June 30, 2011.

Now you can register your examination anytime, just let me know.

Thank you.

icon_thumright.gif