Need assistance with building a home lab to be able to pass the ccnp and security

blackberryblackberry Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I will be taking 3 boot camps
May CCNA security
Late June CCNP switch
August CCNP Routing

Ive been looking through the build your own lab threads but are there certain specs I need to look for to be able to simulate at the CCNP level?

I need to be ample ready prior to each boot camp so any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    do you want to emulate or run real equipment?
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • blackberryblackberry Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ultimately, I want my own equipment. But to save time in preparation for the boot camp if a simulator would work I wouldnt miind going that route
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    What's your budget? And do you want rack mountable equipment only?

A 3560 would be nice, but they're so dang expensive for a lab. I'm wondering if there are more affordable L3 switches out there that I don't know about :)
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • JZegersJZegers Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    What's your budget? And do you want rack mountable equipment only?

A 3560 would be nice, but they're so dang expensive for a lab. I'm wondering if there are more affordable L3 switches out there that I don't know about :)

I went with the 3550's with EMI image and they worked great for my lab for SWITCH
  • blackberryblackberry Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would like to spend around 600-700 if possible
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    JZegers wrote: »
    I went with the 3550's with EMI image and they worked great for my lab for SWITCH

Yeah looks like someone just flooded ebay with a bunch of 3550s. If you hurry (and they look reasonable otherwise) you can probably grab some cheap. cisco 3550 items - Get great deals on Network Switches, 24 items on eBay.com!

I consider my lab setup very flexible and extensible. I have a linux server with dynamips and a ton of network cards. The server is rack mounted with a patch panel. Each network card in the server is hooked into a patch panel. I plug my switchports into the patch panel to connect to the server. If you're reasonably savvy with dynamips I don't see why this wouldn't carry you all the way up to CCIE.

Edit: 500 POSTS! WOOT!!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    ehnde wrote: »
    Yeah looks like someone just flooded ebay with a bunch of 3550s. If you hurry (and they look reasonable otherwise) you can probably grab some cheap. cisco 3550 items - Get great deals on Network Switches, 24 items on eBay.com!

I consider my lab setup very flexible and extensible. I have a linux server with dynamips and a ton of network cards. The server is rack mounted with a patch panel. Each network card in the server is hooked into a patch panel. I plug my switchports into the patch panel to connect to the server. If you're reasonably savvy with dynamips I don't see why this wouldn't carry you all the way up to CCIE.

Edit: 500 POSTS! WOOT!!

Yea, they need to put some POE versions up there!! But it is looking good..