Broke into IT! Got a job!

Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
I finally broke into IT!icon_cheers.gif

I've been a mad computer nerd and crazy overclocker since i was 14 but only decided to make a career out of it last summer. Since then I've earned my A+ and Network+ (sept and dec 10')thanks to some serious adherence and wonderful motivation from this community. This forum is so packed full of knowledge and has helped me set personal goals and helped paved the path I wish to follow. I want to thank all of those that post here with their questions and all those that post valuable enlightening replies as well. My girlfriend has called you guys my "e-family" for a while and I really feel that way as well.

I got an email back yesterday from this financial firm I interviewed with last week for one of two soon to be open Help Desk Technician positions. I just met with the president today and things are looking well for me. I start hopefully Friday or Monday. I'm a freshman college student and will be receiving this part time job that works well around my schedule. This was a craigslist posting too. So when I saw the stack of resumes during the interview I thought to myself that this was not worth it. Being due to the fierce competition in New York City. But I figured that if I tried and sold myself the best I could I would have just as equal of a chance as any other. During the first interview I showcased my goals and who I want to be, and honestly, they respected that very much. I discussed my motivation and my desire to learn as well. Also, I finally realized how effective a cover letter can truly be. As well as a nicely written thank you email.

By the way, this job is for a Large Financial Firm smack dab on Wall St. (hows that for breaking into IT?)

The success stories I read in these forums just motivate me more and more every day, and I am glad to finally be one of them.

Thanks Guys,
Cisco Inferno

/beer
2019 Goals
CompTIA Linux+
[ ] Bachelor's Degree

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats man!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new job.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Superb! Congrats on the job.

I love to read posts like this. This is proof that if you do your homework, work hard, ask questions and apply the advice you get, you will prevail. The key here is that you were realistic about an entry level job. Some folks on this board expect to jump into high level positions without having the required experience or skill set. Keep that momentum going and you will climb the IT ladderin no time.

Good luck in your new endeavor.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Congrats man!

I hope to write one of these success stories too.
  • TimTheEnchantorTimTheEnchantor Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats
    Done:
    MCITP: Server Administrator, MCTS: Windows Vista
    To Go: 70-643, 70-647
    Further Certs: Exchange Administrator 2010, CCNA

Reading: Server 2008 R2 Unleashed/Sybex/CBT Videos
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the position. You'll pick up a lot of info pretty quickly. Just remember a help desk is at least 50% customer service and 50% actual tech work, depending on the desk.

Once you get settled in and have been there for a little bit (3-6 months) see if they can offer you projects and stuff like that. Anything to raise your visibility in a positive light with your bosses.

Good luck with it, i'm sure you'll do well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good job & congratulations!
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Make the most of it and make your e-family proud!icon_cheers.gif
  • Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm in week 2 of my own new gig and know how pumped you must be!
  • sKGPsKGP Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can some1 enlighten me what exactly a helpdesk technian supposed to do . Is this one of those attending calls type job ?
    BTw congrats dude . Good Luck :D
  • Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Congrats man, I remember my first IT job when I made the switch from plumbing.
    Eating humble pie.
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats

I applied for that same job..didn't get a call, though lol
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks so much guys.
    Could anyone offer some serious tips? I wish to be the best I can. I'm still extremely stoked.

hopefully i will be nowhere near the help desk after 3 1/2 more years of college. I wish that by the time I graduate I will have a CCNA, some good experience and will be doing something network related. In stark contrast to kids just slacking off doing nothing for their careers while in school, thinking of receiving a high end job with no certs or experience to compliment their degree. So i'm ready for some work hard ahead.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats.....Great going! icon_smile.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

In stark contrast to kids just slacking off doing nothing for their careers while in school, thinking of receiving a high end job with no certs or experience to compliment their degree. So i'm ready for some work hard ahead.

With that attitude you are already ahead of the bunch...
  • techlady007techlady007 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your first IT job !!! Make sure you learn as much as you can while you are there. I am currently working on my first IT job as well. I am making the best of it until I find something else.
  • andrew09andrew09 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey man congrats! Getting a job like that definitely motivates you to keep up that hard work (it pays off!) and also helps you confirm that you are on the right track. Keep it up!!
    Completed: [A+:2009, MCP, MCSA:2003, MCTS x6, MCITP:EDA7]

Studying for: [MCITP:SA (646), MCITP:EA (643, 647)]
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Nice congrats man -- I know that area pretty good. I hope you arent taking the LIRR the commute is a killer from long island! ;)

Also this will be a great way for you to learn the "office politics" everyone hates so but is alive as well in the corporate world. Just keep your eyes and hears open and hear how people interact and "cover" things up. IT isnt all abut your technical skills, it has alot to do with you soft skills as well.

good luck!!
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks so much guys.
    Could anyone offer some serious tips? I wish to be the best I can. I'm still extremely stoked.

hopefully i will be nowhere near the help desk after 3 1/2 more years of college. I wish that by the time I graduate I will have a CCNA, some good experience and will be doing something network related. In stark contrast to kids just slacking off doing nothing for their careers while in school, thinking of receiving a high end job with no certs or experience to compliment their degree. So i'm ready for some work hard ahead.

I must say, you rock and keep doing this. You will succeed in life.
    :twisted:
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats on landing that first role!! It's important... so do your best and don't be afraid to say you don't know. The IT field can be rewarding, but it can also be tiresome and down right hostile sometimes. Best of luck in your future endeavors!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats man. How's the job goin?
  • wootwoot Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats, sounds like a good way to get your foot in the door
    holy ****.
    just went through a 2hr crash course with the guy who hired me. Apparently I'm going to be going solo in the mornings.
    So much stuff was went over, really intimidating if you ask me.
    There's some light server work (which i have no exp with!) like Active Directory setup etc. some phone setup(Inter-tel),
    Also Some hosted mail setup(intermedia), a little Xenapp stuff. and then the normal desktop problems.

he said to not be afraid to call and to keep my head up.
    He obviously knows im a noob but I dont want to be calling him for every little thing.

Any tips guys? What should I expect and how should I approach this new job?

answers are appreciated. Thanks
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just do your best, and like your boss said, don't be afraid to call for help. It's better to ask for help than to leave a problem unsolved for a long period of time trying to figure it out. Before you know it you will be comfortable and running solo easily.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Just do your best, and like your boss said, don't be afraid to call for help. It's better to ask for help than to leave a problem unsolved for a long period of time trying to figure it out. Before you know it you will be comfortable and running solo easily.

Good luck!
    yea. his faith in me really gives me motivation. for a support role, how long am i supposed to take for a given call? im afraid ill spend time struggling and be yelled at by people in the office before i can get a fix. icon_redface.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree