is 25 to late to start a career in it?

andyjudd1andyjudd1 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    of course not. thats about when i started after i got out of the army, and i didnt do IT in the army.

if you cant type, get some typing software and practice. hopefully you have a good base to start from or itll be a long road to hoe.
  • LAN_ManLAN_Man Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No way! I started when I was 25 and 3 years later I work as a network admin. Just study hard and look for some hands on experience. icon_cheers.gif
  • andyjudd1andyjudd1 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks your comments are very encouraging. :D
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    your soft skills such as customer service is regarded as very important in entry level IT.
    im sure you have some past work history to support this case.

im 21 and just starting. a couple months ago i was sweating just as hard as you are.
    no worries man.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • techlady007techlady007 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't let age discourage you from doing IT. I've seen many people wayyyyyyy older getting established in IT as a career change. Age doesn't mean nothing, its the knowledge and determination that really matters in this field.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    andyjudd1 wrote: »

I'm just getting settled into IT and I'm older than you. icon_wink.gif
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nope not late at all, you can study and gain a lot of experience in just 3 to 5 years. Trust me the years go by fast and as long as you stay consistant in your studies and jobs/experience you can excel vastly in such small amounts of time. icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's about when I started. As long as you have a strong desire to learn, you'll be fine.
    :study:
  • qwismqwism Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fwiw, i'm 27, turning 28 soon...and i re-enrolled in college to finish at a private 2 year school in IT. if you think you're old, imagine how i feel. Hope to complete school in less than by fall of 2012 though. hopefully.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm twice your age and just got started recently. Study and constantly learn and you'll be fine.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's never too late really. Just use whatever time you have on your hands wisely, learn as much as you can at your job. When people are watching youtube and writing sh!t on facebook, you should read TechNet, technical whitepapers and watch CBT Nuggets. Keep working away on the certs and you'll do just fine. I too started in IT at age 24 and am doing doing fine, although I should have started earlier.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not at all, I got my first job in IT at the age of 27. I started school at the age of 25. Of course, i have always been a computer geek, so that kinda helps.
  • andyjudd1andyjudd1 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    It's never too late really. Just use whatever time you have on your hands wisely, learn as much as you can at your job. When people are watching youtube and writing sh!t on facebook, you should read TechNet, technical whitepapers and watch CBT Nuggets. Keep working away on the certs and you'll do just fine. I too started in IT at age 24 and am doing doing fine, although I should have started earlier.

yer that's what im doing at the moment im currently studying my A+. should i try to volunteer for company's before i pass?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It wouldn't hurt to get all the experience you can.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't get started until 27. My only cert was the 70-620 Vista exam. I accepted an entry level QA role which was nowhere near what I planned on doing since my goal was network admin. Six months later they double my salary, promote me to Consultant and move me to one of our customer's labs to manage their servers running our software.

Sometimes being a little older than your peers will work in your favor when positions open up. My company needed a more mature person who could represent our company on a daily basis that also had the skills to do the job.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I started at 22.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know guys who restarted in their 40s and their soft skills are a huge benefit. They had patient team mates around them and now they are leaders in their respective organizations. Experience in an area of knowledge or profession is one thing, experience in life is another. Having both makes you a leader.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started when I was 32. It's never too late to start learning.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Started at 27 Made my way to Tier 3 Wan Engineer before 29. It can be done. Use the experience from your other jobs to push you further
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    25? Geez you're over the hill!

Actually that's pretty much when I got started in IT with no previous relevent experience. I think having some other experience before you get into IT helps keep you out of the "nerdspeak" realm so much. Knowing how to talk to people without going over their head or talking down to them is super important and I feel easier when you know some job other than routers and servers. Good luck!
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    25 is nothing. There have been many people asking if 40+ is too old and the answer is usually no for them as well.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds to me like you are ready for a rocking chair there, oldtimer! icon_smile.gif

Seriously though, your motivation will be more of a factor than your age. Go for IT! (pun intended).....icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I started at age 19 when I entered into IT but it's never too late!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I got my first real IT gig at 24 but that was short term. That's almost 25. So in my opinion no. I've met guys way older than me who were or are breaking into IT.